Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRT Experiences

Options
  • 23-06-2013 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Saw a thread over on UKV and thought I'd open one here with regards to NRT experiences.

Lozenges - burned throat and useless
    Microtabs - burned throat and tongue and useless
    Patches - just did nothing for me
    Inhaler - completely useless....
    Quickmist - rough on throat and stomach but I think if I had to quit vaping I could use it pretty successfully. Wouldn't be able to stay on it long term either because its pretty rough and I'd dread the next spray...Hiccups too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Saw a thread over on UKV and thought I'd open one here with regards to NRT experiences.

Quickmist - rough on throat and stomach but I think if I had to quit vaping I could use it pretty successfully. Wouldn't be able to stay on it long term either because its pretty rough and I'd dread the next spray...Hiccups too.

Longest I lasted on patches was 3 months.The majority,if not all of NRT's,have a terrible success rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was hoping for patches - burned throat, tongue and skin and useless

combo breaker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

Patches: Allergic reaction. Sore
    Microtabs: Effective. Sore mouth and hiccups
    Inhaler: Effective in short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

i was hoping for patches - burned throat, tongue and skin and useless

combo breaker :(

Well, the quickmist is not toooooo bad so long as you get the knack of keeping the spray away from your throat. It does beat the cravings pretty rapidly to be fair. After a day or two though it feels like your mouth needs a break. It's not pleasant like the ads.....but it would work I'd say if you were coming directly from fags.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Does nicorette gum count? I lost a molar from 6 months of constant chewing on them. I tried to cut down on them but couldnt.
    I ended up spending more on gum than I would have spent on tabs and ended up going back to smoking.
    They might work for some people (7%) but that was my experience, and dont get me started on champix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Patches - gave up for a whole 3 weeks (which, admittedly, was the first time I'd lasted more than 3 hours!)
    Gum - worked for the duration of an Ireland to UK flight (sort of), and a 3 hour train journey
    Alllen Carr's book - 3 months, then I had a drink or several and my head reset itself
    Vaping - since March, and am loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Allen carrs book got my friend off them for a few months, then same as yourself, few drinks got her back. I'd say the Allen Carr book is probably more effective than NRT.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    They might work for some people (7%) but that was my experience, and dont get me started on champix!

The Ad for Champix in the states warns that it may cause suicidal thoughts or actions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

My gf was working in one of the companies that make NRT and I got a lot of them cheap and gave them a whirl.

Patches: Did NOTHING for me, ended up smoking 10 - 15 a day.
    Gum: Manky, burned mouth, ended up smoking 5- 10 a day with gum.
    Quick mist: Horrible, burning mouth, churning stomach, severe hiccups all the time. Smoked a lot with this.
    Microtabs: Made me feel sick.
    Lozenges: Same as microtabs.

Not NRT: Vaping: some days no smokes, some days 10ish. It varies wildly with vaping. Sometimes hits the spot, sometimes just doesn't cut it at all. Tastes nicer and less gross side effects though.

All in all, for me (just me, in my own experience) the only times I quit smoking for more than 6 months was pure cold turkey. Vaping for me is a reduction / fill in but not a quitting method. It does work for others.

I think Cold Turkey > Vaping > NRT as a rough layout. But really your attitude, goals, and real desire to quit are way more important than the medium you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

I didn't add the Allen Carr book in as it's not NRT as I understand it.
    However, for me it worked great for 6 months. Then a few beers led to trying just one, and you know how the rest of the story goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

require masses of will power, if have it you don't need them

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

The minute I started vaping I stopped smoking. Simple as!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

Patches, gum, quickmist, lozenges - all caused more discomfort than they were worth. My throat was in absolute shreds particularly with the spray even if I made sure not to hit the back of my mouth with it.

I know a lot of people swear that Champix is a miracle tablet but everyone I know (myself included) who tried it ended up a mess. After a few weeks on it last Christmas, I was at the lowest point in my life. It still upsets me to think those tablets had me wanting to jump in front of a bus. I've never had any history of depression. I was having panic attacks several times a day. I still do sometimes even now, thinking about quitting smoking. It really messed up my resolve to quit before I discovered vaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That drunkmonkey guy from the other thread was pushing champix again this evening on another thread......

Yeah, the spray is tough stuff alright. It would actually be a workable option for me except for the harshness on the mouth and throat. It's just too strong.

All of them are dirt compared to vaping. One thing that's a bit lacking in the vaping world though is an easy option to step down nic if you want to. There's plenty of options from 8 or 9mg to 36mg but not a whole lot between 8mg and 0mg. I know you could mix 8mg and 0mg to get 4mg but it would be handy to just buy it at 4mg off the shelf.

Advertisement