Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management Systems

• 23-06-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, how can i get a content management system to interact with a page that I have designed myself. I don't want to use themes or anything like that that these things provide I just want to use my own design.

thanks
    evan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You'll have to integrate your static chop (typically HTML, CSS and JS) into the CMS. This typically involves you stripping out parts of the HTML and inserting CMS specific syntax/ tags into your markup.

For example, in Wordpress (admittedly a CMS I have very little experience in ) you would replace the appropriate sections with the following tags. This means that if you have some content in your markup (say text and pictures int he About US page) that you will then have to re-enter this through the CMS content editor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Depends on the CMS.

For wordpress a usual setup is:

Your header and <head>/opening html tags etc go in header.php

For you're body, you can make a custom template (usually an example one comes stock) and apply it to that page via the wp admin area/dash

And then you've got single.php, sidebar.php, page.php, and footer.php - You can research what these do yourself, it's fairly self explanatory :)

The rest as Cranny outlined above. For Joomla it's somewhat similar. Can't remember the setup for Drupal but I imagine it's the same, and Squarespace has some great documentation that'll get you started with that.

If you're working with wordpress, the codex is usually your one stop shop for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

How do i get started on wordpress already have my hosting and such so do i install it onto my hosting or do i just make an account?

How do i get started on wordpress already have my hosting and such so do i install it onto my hosting or do i just make an account?

You...read the codex ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

In your hosting control panel there might be an Applications section that lets you install WordPress, other wise follow the Codex as stated above :)http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

After that you'll probably work in the wp-content/themes/ directory. I use this http://underscores.me/ to generate a blank theme so I can bring in my own styles rather than editing the existing default theme that comes with WordPress.
    Just edit the header & footer files along with the index file, or in the case of http://underscores.me/ the content.php file.

• Advertisement

I use this http://underscores.me/ to generate a blank theme so I can bring in my own styles rather than editing the existing default theme that comes with WordPress.

I'm a Bones fan myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Thanks for the help guys :)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Best of luck :)
    KonFusion wrote: »
    I'm a Bones fan myself.

I've modified underscores for something that's set up for my own workflow e.g. grid system, folder layout, Sass structure, functions etc... but I really like the setup used in Bones as well :)

I've modified underscores for something that's set up for my own workflow e.g. grid system, folder layout, Sass structure, functions etc... but I really like the setup used in Bones as well :)

Same here. We've our own in house starter theme as mentioned above. It's pretty heavy-weight as we include pluginsand various other bits and bobs we generally find ourselves using per project. We clone the repo each time we start a new wordpress build and go from there. Saves quite a few hours.

Same here. We've our own in house starter theme as mentioned above. It's pretty heavy-weight as we include pluginsand various other bits and bobs we generally find ourselves using per project. We clone the repo each time we start a new wordpress build and go from there. Saves quite a few hours.

A very similar setup as us then. Good to know I'm doing something right haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I use modx for sites

I'm another MODX user. It takes a while to get into the specifics (same for any CMS) but it's quite nice - mostly for simple sites though.

I'm another MODX user. It takes a while to get into the specifics (same for any CMS) but it's quite nice - mostly for simple sites though.

Never used it myself. How does it compare to the likes of wordpress?

You say its for simpler sites, how come? Would it be something like perch or squarespace?

Curious as I've never used it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Good intro/tutorial to Wordpress themes here, I think this one targets underscore rather than bones:

http://themeshaper.com/2012/10/22/the-themeshaper-wordpress-theme-tutorial-2nd-edition/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

You say its for simpler sites, how come? Would it be something like perch or squarespace?

I find the theming quiet good the reason I started using it is the back end was alot simpler looking than something like drupal or joomla for people that were not very proficient with computers, updates were easy to install too but wordpress does all that stuff really well now. And yes I would only use it for smaller sites.

It is possible to build some very complex sties in MODX - e.g. extensive membership features. I'm not familiar with the CMSs you mention so I son't know if they are extensible to the same degree.

However, such complexity does strain MODX and you will soon run into issues. (I'll qualify this by stating 1) that I'm not a back-end dev and 2) no CMS is perfect.) It also a poorer CMS for the lack of a strong community. It may have gotten better since the release of Revolution but back in the day the previous release, Evolution, was horribly documented and had not got much in the way of a community.

All that said, for smaller sites I think it's a fine option and it's particularly handy for clients with no CMS experience to pick-up and use. I don't think the latter can be said about popular rivals like Joomla or EE.

Advertisement