Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it Bonfire night tonight??

Options
  • 23-06-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Just passed the green in the estate and a bonfire has popped up, apparently the residents association are arranging it this year, I just wasn't sure it was on tonight.
    Is it tonight (23rd)? Feck, I was hoping to get the kids off to bed early:mad:

Strong winds out there won't help the fire services.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Busy night for the firemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It should be banned. I'm choking all evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Is June 23rd just a Cork thing? Or nationwide? I'm nearly certain Bonfire night in Limerick is May 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its a Cork thing.

2 Fire Engines down in St Kevins this morning. I think the church was smoldering a bit. Nothing major I reckon. Ill have a proper look this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

grenache wrote: »
    Is June 23rd just a Cork thing? Or nationwide? I'm nearly certain Bonfire night in Limerick is May 1st.

Worldwide - it's St John's Eve - usually marked with bonfires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the one in our estate (in Passage) was organised by the Residents committee and it was very well done. Fine sized bonfire which was only put together on Sunday morning to ensure no one threw tyres onto it or people didn't use it as a means to get rid of their rubbish/scrap!

The dry & sunny weather brought people out and the bonfire caused no trouble, no drain on fire services thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

grenache wrote: »

Its bonfire night in limerick every night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

the one in our estate (in Passage) was organised by the Residents committee and it was very well done. Fine sized bonfire which was only put together on Sunday morning to ensure no one threw tyres onto it or people didn't use it as a means to get rid of their rubbish/scrap!

The dry & sunny weather brought people out and the bonfire caused no trouble, no drain on fire services thankfully.

That sounds boring as fcuk. Most of the fun in a bonfire is being a 9 year old kid going around to houses collected everything that will burn and building the fire yourselves. Having the older lads light it.

Residents committee's who keep the kids away from all that are a pox on the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I was wondering what the burning smell was the other night, thought the shed was about to go up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

evilivor wrote: »

Never heard of it in GB, or Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

evilivor wrote: »

Just stumbled across this. They were also being lit in Sligo, and wondering what it was all about.

Had never heard or seen it before. The only bonfire nights I know about are Guy Falkes (nov 5th in GB, not sure if NI celebrate it), Halloween here, and on one of the Protestant Holidays in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

That sounds boring as fcuk. Most of the fun in a bonfire is being a 9 year old kid going around to houses collected everything that will burn and building the fire yourselves. Having the older lads light it.

Residents committee's who keep the kids away from all that are a pox on the earth.

ah well, I suppose the residents association were fed up with the whole event (and the estate) being over-run with little scumbags ruining it for the majority of people.
    I don't think anyone is sad to see the end of the toxic fumes coming from burning rubber and having to handle the removal of bits of metal from the mattresses and garden furniture that the feckless parents dumped onto the bonfire.

There was a DJ, food and games too and the kids seemed to be enjoying it judging by the large amount of those who turned out.

Advertisement