Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Key FOB

Options
  • 23-06-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of the lifehackers had a suggestion for my problem.

Basically the bugger who im replacing in a flat left me with a broken fob for the main door.

Which means i cant put it on my keyring. I can pay for a new one, but want to avoid that if possible.

Ive attached a picture so if anyone can think of a good fix or a product that would hold the fob on a keyring, im all ears!

Pic attched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Assuming it's still working, just can't put it on a keyring, I'd use Sugru and the ring piece of a cheap keyring.

https://sugru.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heat shrink it to something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Thanks for the suggestions lads!
    Thoie wrote: »
    Assuming it's still working, just can't put it on a keyring, I'd use Sugru and the ring piece of a cheap keyring.

https://sugru.com/

On the Sugru front, that looks like a really interesting product. One question - What would you say the best method of applying/fixing it would be in my instance?

Just us a ball of it and mould 1 side around the silver key ring and the other side into the broken FOB?

Or if i understand it correctly - Could i mould it around something like a straw (to replicate where the keyring would go through) on one side and just wedge the FOB into the other side as with idea 1?

---

I tested the FOB and it works through leather. Would anyone know any handy pounches i could buy instead? (preferably attachable to a key ring).

Thanks in advance!
    Roger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was thinking of having a "buffer" all around the fob, with a flattened solid bit at the broken end with a hole there for the keyring. A straw would be a lot neater for making the hole - I'd have just used my nails :D

While they're not leather these days, you could always look for small lens pouches - maybe sew up the top of it to make it secure. A less attractive (but cheaper version) might be to cut the toes off a pair of tights, fold over a few times, throw a few stitches... Clear nail varnish will stop the stitches from tearing the tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

How would this 'buffer' work?

Do you mean create like a loop, or another ring of Sugru itself, with one side joining to the FOB?

That sounds like a good suggestion, but will Sugru hold that ring shape and not pull off?

You could probably leave it flat overnight to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 VVVinoVeritas

Not lifehacking but very usefull to know - Amiens street locksmiths copy fobs quite cheaply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Just drill a small hole in the top corner and put it back on keyring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

sellotape it to an old clubcard keyring or flat keyring

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Not lifehacking but very usefull to know - Amiens street locksmiths copy fobs quite cheaply!

Does anyone know if this is still the case? My management company are bastards ant want to charge me €50 for a second fob for an apartment which I paid through the nose to buy!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Repair Express Power Putty is also good for repairing plastics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ft9 wrote: »
    Just drill a small hole in the top corner and put it back on keyring.

If you shine a very bright light underneath plastics like this you can sometimes see where the working bits are inside.

You still see strong HPS or metal halide lights shining up against some buildings, same as some street lamps but on the ground shining upwards, can be very hot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Just to clarify, I'm looking to have a spare fob encoded, not to fix broken plastic. I bought an apartment a few years ago and they only gave me one fob

Advertisement