Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi advice

Options
  • 23-06-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Will be using these a lot more now as I've got rid of me wheels.:(

Will only be using them round the town.

1. Is ringing one the same as 'booking one' and incur a booking fee.
    2. Is it cheaper to flag one down or get one at a rank rather than ring one.
    3. Why is there no set fee for the city centre like there is in some towns.
    4. Are Hackneys readily available, e.g. you won't be waiting long.
    5. Can Hackneys be called when needed or must be pre-booked only.

Sorry folks very green on all this, any tips welcome.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

danjo-xx wrote: »

1. Generally, yes. With the exception of a hackney which does not charge a booking fee.
    2. Same price at rank or flagging one down.
    3. I think the firm in ballybeg does this, can't remember.
    4. They tend to be both in Waterford, hackneys drive around with sign on roof etc.
    5. Call when you need one.

I used to use the lads in ballybeg, fast and reliable while also cheap. But if your using one frequently I know a local gentleman who would look after you price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

My preference has always been Premier Taxis - the cars are always spotless and the drivers seem sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

I have a taxi driver that i always use.. hes a bit of a madman (in a good way)
    I guess find a driver your happy with, stick with him and eventually it will just be a fixed price anywhere in town..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I believe most places abandoned the booking fee soon after it was introduced.

Waterford Hackney are who I use when I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Is it normal for taxi's to round the fare up, eg meter €4.45 now that will be €5 lads, only met one that didn't.

Taxi's with no meter or it switched off....seems to be all too common hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

0rt wrote: »
    I have a taxi driver that i always use.. hes a bit of a madman (in a good way)
    I guess find a driver your happy with, stick with him and eventually it will just be a fixed price anywhere in town..

I reckon I know who that is, and he is sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is it normal for taxi's to round the fare up, eg meter €4.45 now that will be €5 lads, only met one that didn't.

Taxi's with no meter or it switched off....seems to be all too common hmmmm
    Ask for a receipt if there is no meter, or they try round it up. Legally they must be able to provide a receipt, or you do not have to pay. You'll often find the fare changes quickly in your favour once you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If it is going to be a regular thing I can put you in touch with a guy, very reliable and sound as they come.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

do any of the taxi apps work in waterford??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Being sticking with Rapid cabs and very happy with them but there are on or two cute hoors that try to fill you full of chat while driving slowly and taking the scenic route full of ramps.

Is there any way when calling rapid cabs to say, dont send me A or B.. and what would I need, taxi roof lite number if displayed or name on dashboard or is it just best to accept that there will always be a few cowboys out there, and maybe next time just pull them up on it when trying it on.

I'm 95 btw :D
    well workin on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Being sticking with Rapid cabs and very happy with them but there are on or two cute hoors that try to fill you full of chat while driving slowly and taking the scenic route full of ramps.

Is there any way when calling rapid cabs to say, dont send me A or B.. and what would I need, taxi roof lite number if displayed or name on dashboard or is it just best to accept that there will always be a few cowboys out there, and maybe next time just pull them up on it when trying it on.

I'm 95 btw :D
    well workin on it

Must be costing you a fortune, you're better off getting to know one driver somewhere and using him, at a bulk discount of course.

Advertisement