Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013- Review

• 23-06-2013 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

Personally, I don't think it went as planned and I reckon I'll go down from the mocks. How do you think the LC went for you? Anyone brave enough to give a prediction of their results? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I thought some were better than the mocks and others were worse :( I know I messed up English really bad so prob won't end up counting it which I'm pretty disappointed about but sure what can ya do!
    In other exams I wish I had time to go back over them and some I didn't get finished .. Anyways I have absolutely no idea of how I did and now I wished I studied more :rolleyes:

Oh God, I think I'll be brave and take a stab at predicting my results. I personally think that it went better than planned and I felt comfortable sitting a lot of my exams. I hope to improve slightly from the mocks as I practically reached my points aim in them.

All Higher level.

English - Very confident that I have improved since the mocks which I got a B1 in however some dodgy essays mean I'm not as confident to improve to an A2. Would be happy with either grade.

Maths - I got a B3 in my mock and then a B1 in a 2nd mock that we sat in May. I was aiming to push it up to an A1 but with the paper, I did dreadfully. Hopeful for a B2.

Irish - I feel like I did an amazing oral and I worked very hard for it. Then the written exam came along and family matters meant that I wasn't 100% on the day. I really think I will get a C1.

Geography - Lovely paper. A2 in the mocks and I think I got my A1.

Biology - Got A1s all year and I think I have maintained it. Otherwise, A2.

Chemistry - Amazing paper. Did all questions. A1.

French - Dreadful oral, the examiner was so horrible! The tape and comprehensions were lovely. Made a few hiccups. Hopefully a B2.

LCVP (I'll count it) - Really hope I get a distinction as nobody in my school ever has but I feel I took it seriously enough to get one without hurting my other results.

My optimistic predictions would put me at around 575 (rough calculation in my head) points and I would be delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Boom. I've been thinking of this all of today for some reason.

English -I feel I put enough work in to get the A1, but it just depends if the corrector likes my answers :pac:
    Irish - Went possibly the best of all my exams, the oral was pretty good too. Hoping to get my A1.
    Maths - P1 wasn't good at all, P2 was the best P2 I've ever done. Hoping it'll average out and I'll get at least a B1.
    French - Oral was great :D Comprehensions and listening went well, written was good but not great. A2 region I feel.
    Biology - Went really well. Fingers crossed for the A1.
    Chemistry - A few minor things might keep me away from getting what I want. A2/B1 region.
    Economics - Worst paper by far, even though I had put the more work into economics than any other subject :pac: B1/B2.
    Ag. Science - Project was good, written paper went well. A1 hopefully.

Anything less than 590 points and I'd be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Looking good to be honest. Definitely up from the mocks which I tanked big time. I'm fairly confident I'll get my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Mocks got 475

Wanted 3A1's and 3B1's and then 2 anything and I know I was managable enough to get them but just ugggh

anything between 450 and 530 and i will be delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Went better than the mocks
    Predictions (HL)
    Eng: C3
    Maths: A1
    French: B2
    Business: B3
    Accounting: A1
    Technology: A1

OL Irish: lol idc

Edit: I did this out on my computer and I reckon I got 515. Got ~455 in the mocks so delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I got something around 400 in the mocks. I wanted 480 in the real thing. I don't think I got that much. I wrote loads, and finished every exam, I just don't feel good about them. Atm I'm just praying for enough points for my course.

I really enjoyed the adrenaline inside exams :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Hard to know tbh. I fluffed one exam completely, and I was quite ill during the middle too and had to go to hospital. I'll try and predict, then pop back in here in August haha.

English: Got a B2 in the mock, did another mock a week before the exam and got an A2. My paper 1 wasn't great, probs a B1.
    Irish: C1 in the mock, I'd probably take that again tbh. Was too sick to really prepare, but my Oral was quite good and I had an essay prepared.
    Maths: D3 in HL in the mock. Dropped at Easter because I didn;t count it for points, so I dont care so long as its a pass.
    Business: C1 in the mock. In the exam, threw away 15% by doing the wrong question, still think I'll get at least a B3 tbh. Disappointed as I could have gotten an A.
    History: Got a B3 in the mock, thought the paper was perfect. A2/A1.
    Geography: B2 in the mock, again really liked the paper. A2/A1.
    Spanish: Written paper was grand, oral was average and listening wasn't great. Got a B2 before, definitely going to go down to a C1 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Emmalou94

Think I did ok... Well praying that I did anyway , all higher level except maths

English -B3 in mocks... Hoping to go up to a B2 or a B1
    Irish- C3 in mocks, was the only one who got an honour. My oral brought me down and I failed the listening. This time my oral was at least 35% out of the 40 and the listening went great so hopefully a B3
    Maths-paper 1 was great, paper 2 much tougher. Got a B2 in the mocks. Hope to get an A2
    Chemistry- great mock paper. Got a B2. Great leaving cert paper so hopefully an A2
    Business- B1 in the mocks. Feel I did quite good on the day so hopefully an A2
    Accountancy- C3 in mock because I ran out of time to do my incomplete, finished the paper this time but the budgeting threw me :( hopefully still got a C1
    Spanish- not a great mock. Failed the listening (yes I am bad at listenings haha). Got a C2 but the actual thing I thought was better. Hoping for a B2
    Religion- got a C3 in mocks. Read questions wrong and all sorts of stupid things. The paper this year was amazing ! Hoping for a B2 or a B1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

It all just went grand for me, nothing great, nothing bad - I suppose that's probably the easier way to have things. The whole thing was pretty casual, and to be honest I much preferred the exam time than the weeks off running up to it. I still can't believe it's done!

Maths: B2 - Paper 1 would've been damn near perfect had I have gotten Q5. Paper 2 was little shoddy, but not too bad overall.
    English: A2 - Comparative was absolute crap, I picked a question I could barely even understand :pac: But I never really feel happy with English, and everything else was grand. I'd say it was similar enough to the mocks.
    Irish: -B1 - The written and tapework were good. The oral is the only thing that could bring me down greatly, as per usual!
    French: - B1 - After the mocks debacle I focused more on grammar during the real thing yet I feel the content of the essay went down as a result. Everything else was grand!
    Biology - A2 - Ugh...the exam was fine, had no major problems during it. Still, I always end up losing marks for not being specific enough or missing a point, I detest the exam itself! :pac:
    Physics: - B1 - To be honest I've no idea what I could get. The exam was good but I've never known what standard I've been at with physics.
    DCG - B2 - My worst subject, yet possibly my favourite. The exam was actually better than expected EXCEPT I couldn't do a question that I fully well knew I could do, it just wouldn't work out for me. Most disappointing yet surprising exam all rolled into one.

With those results, which I still hope I've underestimated, I'd say I've done more than enough for my course (UCD Engineering).I'm still going to be a nervous wreck come results day! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ILoveDance

Dont Think I did as well as I wanted to do!. . but I hope i still got enough for my course!
    ALL HIGHER

ENGLISH -- terrible at english- my worst subject- hope for D3
    Maths -- Felt it went better than the pre - Hope for D1
    Irish-- did an amazing oral, yet i tink my essay could let me down :( -- thinking a B3
    Geography-- did awful in the pre, c3. . but this paper was so good :D and project went well --thinking a B1
    Biology -- did awful!! could have done way better. -- il be hoping for a D1
    Music -- paper was fair enough -- hoping for C2/C3
    DCG -- paper was ok, few things i couldnt get out -- hoping for b3

That givees me 440, would be delighted with that! only got 390 in Pre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Everyone 's predictions are so hopeful and optimistic. I feel lost as I have no idea what I acheived in any exam. I do 6HL and 1OL .In all honesty I see nothing wrong with acheiving C1 in all HL's thats 420 FOR ME!!!1, considering the fact I almost cried after every exam. An average mark of c1 leaves room for surprises in August. Me expecting the A's and B's is only leaving room for disappointment. At the end o the day the most important thing for me is acheiving a level 8 on cao list. there is no point expecting or killing myself for 500's when my course is only 380.Obtaining a course is the most important factor. I would take what I get. I hope I pass HL maths. I DONT WANT TO REPEAT LEAVING CERT AT ALL!. I will never consider waiting a whole year for an Exam in which anything can happen. PLS points dont shoot up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

Predictions are tough but ill give it a go. Got 480 in my pres anyway. All honours bar irish.
    English-> Ive never been that good at english and it went about the same as every paper. You can put me down for another C1
    German-> My worst subject at honours and I was really happy in it. I got a D3 in the pre and im hoping to go up to a C2 maybe
    Maths-> Was unsure what to think of this paper. They were strange but did well enough and hoping for a B3/C1
    Physics-> Never really cared about this subject got a serious amount of grinds to help me to a good standard. Heres hoping for a B3
    Business-> Got an A1 in the pre but it was ridiculously easily marked. The ABQ was beautiful and id take an A2/B1
    Accounting-> My best subject and anything other than an A1 and ill be gutted.
    Irish-> ha
    looking at the same as my pres give or take 10 points which ill be beaming with as my first choice is fairly low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Did not go well! AT ALL
    Think I got my 1st choice but I was aiming 120 points more that what it was last year *sigh*
    English-Paper 1 was grand bar the absence of a newspaper article :(. Paper 2-Was expecting/prepared for the worst case scenario, leading to what was a dream paper being my worst case scenario, if you get what I mean, could've been a lot worse but also couldve been alot better.
    Irish-Bleh. Had an essay printed off to learn on imirce but was extremely sick during the break when I planned to learn it so I spent my lunch in the bathroom as opposed to studying, couldve screamed when I seen that it came up. Paper 2- I swear to God when I say I didn't study for, look at or even touch a single thing for this exam, in the morning instead of going through an Triail like everyone else, I was studying Biology, and I have to admit despite this, it went grand, for someone who hadn't touched a single thing for the exam, like it will be crap in comparison to everyone elses, but as I said, grand, I wasn't completely lost during the exam, although I made lots of stupid mistakes and my An Triail answer contains a grand total of 0 quotes.
    Maths(OL)- Paper 1 was lovely, my stomach was in absolutes knots during paper 2, soooooo sick, as a result it did not go well, at all.
    Biology-Oh how I wish I could sit it again, sooooooooo many stupid little mistakes, adios A, hello mediocrity.
    Business-Short qs were a bitch, the rest of the paper was an absolute dream, bar going blank on the expansion question :o too bad I ran out of time, despite the many, MANY warnings from my business teacher gave to me specifically about sticking to the time lay out. Oh well
    Art-Project was fantastic, drawing exam couldve been better, imaginary composition was crappy, the history paper=WORST NIGHTMARE EVER! Nothing covered in school (never mind not studying) for the middle section. I wrote about an artist I read a teensy bit about in my own time, diagrams were a disaster, worst of all I didn't find the loophole that the majority of year found :( Definitely my worst paper.
    Spanish-I.WANT.TO.CRY I'm good at Spanish, what the hell happened to me in the lead up to that exam I dont know, couldn't get into Spanish mode, AT ALL, was a complete disaster, oral went bad as well, my examiner is going to think I'm crap at Spanish following both my oral and exam, I am actually really good at it :(
    LCVP-Ran out of time, seriously, I'll be getting a merit, despite having been top of the class for the past 2 years :(

Overall, nothing went well, I wasnt happy coming out of a single exam. :(

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Did not go well! AT ALL
    Think I got my 1st choice but I was aiming 120 points more that what it was last year *sigh*
    English-Paper 1 was grand bar the absence of a newspaper article :(. Paper 2-Was expecting/prepared for the worst case scenario, leading to what was a dream paper being my worst case scenario, if you get what I mean, could've been a lot worse but also couldve been alot better.
    Irish-Bleh. Had an essay printed off to learn on imirce but was extremely sick during the break when I planned to learn it so I spent my lunch in the bathroom as opposed to studying, couldve screamed when I seen that it came up. Paper 2- I swear to God when I say I didn't study for, look at or even touch a single thing for this exam, in the morning instead of going through an Triail like everyone else, I was studying Biology, and I have to admit despite this, it went grand, for someone who hadn't touched a single thing for the exam, like it will be crap in comparison to everyone elses, but as I said, grand, I wasn't completely lost during the exam, although I made lots of stupid mistakes and my An Triail answer contains a grand total of 0 quotes.
    Maths(OL)- Paper 1 was lovely, my stomach was in absolutes knots during paper 2, soooooo sick, as a result it did not go well, at all.
    Biology-Oh how I wish I could sit it again, sooooooooo many stupid little mistakes, adios A, hello mediocrity.
    Business-Short qs were a bitch, the rest of the paper was an absolute dream, bar going blank on the expansion question :o too bad I ran out of time, despite the many, MANY warnings from my business teacher gave to me specifically about sticking to the time lay out. Oh well
    Art-Project was fantastic, drawing exam couldve been better, imaginary composition was crappy, the history paper=WORST NIGHTMARE EVER! Nothing covered in school (never mind not studying) for the middle section. I wrote about an artist I read a teensy bit about in my own time, diagrams were a disaster, worst of all I didn't find the loophole that the majority of year found :( Definitely my worst paper.
    Spanish-I.WANT.TO.CRY I'm good at Spanish, what the hell happened to me in the lead up to that exam I dont know, couldn't get into Spanish mode, AT ALL, was a complete disaster, oral went bad as well, my examiner is going to think I'm crap at Spanish following both my oral and exam, I am actually really good at it :(
    LCVP-Ran out of time, seriously, I'll be getting a merit, despite having been top of the class for the past 2 years :(

that's so unfair for you because you sound like a keen hard worker and illness and stupid nerves could have ruined the exams for you!
    This is why the leaving cert is wrong in all scenarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Just gonna do this for myself so I can check against it in August!
    Got around 485 in the mocks with minimal work, so hoping for over 500 in the real thing.

English - Got something like a C2 in the mocks, pretty poor for me seeing as it used to be my best subject. I'm thinking maybe a B2/B1 in the LC?
    Gaeilge - Got an A1 in the mocks, and that was without the oral, and my oral was pretty flawless.. (Irish is my best subject and I'd consider myself fluent) and the written was amazing in June so definitely hoping for the A1.
    French - A2 in the mocks, without oral, my other best subject. I was really happy with the oral and written in the real thing so I'm hoping again for an A2.
    Maths - took ordinary, my only OL subject.. and I couldn't care less about it so long as I pass, and I reckon I did!
    Business - got around 75% in the mock with zero study, one of those subjects I was always able to bullsh*it in. Not my best subject and I really didn't like it but hoping for a B1.
    Biology - Hmmm this could go either way.. I found the paper manageable but kinda strange and a lot of my classmates said the same. Hoping for a B1.
    Art - think I got a B1 in the mocks, but my practical was much better this time round.. and the art history paper was great too. Hoping for an A2.
    LCVP - ehhhhh don't care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Did not go well! AT ALL

It seems so long ago, but ill do what I can to recall how I got on...

English - Been my best subject since I was very schmall. Wouldn't change a single thing about it, bar the fact my prepared short story didn't fit and I had to sculpt my own on the day. Paper 2 was absolutely beautiful and if all goes well, I'm hopeful for an A1.

Irish - Oral was a dream, examiner told me I should consider teaching Irish!! :P Paper one was also fantastic, listening was easy peasy and I was happy with my essay. My one regret with this subject is not doing more of the prose and poetry because I really feel I'd have gotten an A otherwise! Would be delighted with a B1.

German - Delighted with this, listening and oral were brilliant. Was happy with both comprehensions and overall couldn't have expected any better. Hoping for a B2.

Maths - Ordinary level. Not counting it. Did as well as I could have. Passed, all I wanted. Maybe a C.

History - What a success. The ~3 hours itself was hectic but I could've cried with happiness afterward. If I don't get an A1 then I was never capable of it, when I've been totting up my points I've calculated a B1 as the absolute minimum. Maybe take an A2 for this as middleground.

Business - Never quite sure what to make of this. Went as well as I could've done. Hope its a B2 :)

Economics - Absolute disaster. Got a B1 in the pre. Lucky to get a B3 here :/

Altogether that makes 510. I need 495 for my course. Law in UCD. I expect it to go down this year but I constantly second guess my predictions and am afraid that I won't get what I want :/ The dtress is far from over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

English HL C1 in the mocks, would be happy with that again or maybe a B3.
    Irish HL D1 in the mocks, Oral went well ( Saw what mark i got) Would love a C3.
    Maths HL 37.33% in the mocks, all I want is to pass Pray for 40%!
    Chemistry HL D2 in the mocks, would hope to push that up to a D1 or even a C3.
    Physics HL Mock was a disaster(26%) got stuck in with questions after that and did another mock (69%), would be happy with a C.
    Engineering HL Expecting a C
    LCVP Expecting a Merit
    French OL dont care :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 misstb

Same i think it would be beneficial for august-all higher except maths

English- got a C1 in my pres but i was so incredibly disappointed, all of our A class didn't do very well based on the marker. Before this I was looking for the A1 because i LOVE english but this totally knocked my confidence. Need the a2,b1 so hopefully. I don't think it's a subject anyone can predict.

Irish Did a fantastic oral so hopefully got at least the 35% if not full marks. Paper 1 went fab and the comprehensions were the easiest I have seen. Hoping for the a2 coming up from the b2 in pre(at this point we had never done a comprehension or tape)

French Got a b1 in the pre, and not hoping for anymore as it is such a difficult subject to excell in for the a. However a complicated oral examiner may have made it to a b2 which means I wouldn't get my course! (:( )

Maths I do ordinary and I'd say i passed. Hopefully.

Biology All through 5th and 6th year I just didn't get the subject. Only got a C3 in my pre but after studying my ass off and doing every exam paper ever(ordinary and higher), I'm nearly confident I got the a, it was a lovely lovely paper but unless you knew the whole book, you'd be pretty screwed.

History Ugh what a death, did okay in my pre can never tell with this loathsome subject... hopefully I'll get the b1 but the exam just didn't go well for me with that lock out land question ruining my confidence!

Geography My fave- got an a2 in the pre(89%) and was really counting on the a1...however i lost so many marks i know i did... id say ill go down to a b2 :(

so all in all 520 thereabouts... need 525 for occupational therapy so unless things go really well for me, I'll be back again next year :( So unfair that those going for over 500, if one subject goes wrong on the first few days(Geography), then you know you won't get your course! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TALKER92

Good for all of you's I did shocking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

TALKER92 wrote: »
    Good for all of you's I did shocking

I don't know how these people think they did bad when there "only" getting 500 points haha

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    I don't know how these people think they did bad when there "only" getting 500 points haha

500 was my aim (an achievable aim may I add), not a hope in hell of getting that now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

My aim is 450. That should see me safe.

500 was my aim (an achievable aim may I add), not a hope in hell of getting that now :(

Never know, might have went better than ya think, happened to me with the jc. And don't forget the average is like 300 points? So anything above that isn't bad

Average in my school is 440 :/

yournerd wrote: »
    Average in my school is 440 :/

If ya get over 400 in our school you'd be compared to Einstein haha

I suppose you just have to realise that different people have different standards for themselves. The course I'm aiming for was ~550 points last year so "only" 500 would be bad, because you're putting it into context of what I'm aiming for. And with a lot of people here aiming for Medicine you can see why standards are high. That's not to say that 500 isn't a good score, it's excellent, but for some people they need to get more than it for their course.

I suppose you just have to realise that different people have different standards for themselves. The course I'm aiming for was ~550 points last year so "only" 500 would be bad, because you're putting it into context of what I'm aiming for. And with a lot of people here aiming for Medicine you can see why standards are high. That's not to say that 500 isn't a good score, it's excellent, but for some people they need to get more than it for their course.

Yeah but people shouldn't be putting themselves down be putting themselves down for getting such a high score in what is considered one of the most difficult exams that anyone will ever do

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

This. Everyone has different strengths, potential, goals and expectations. People want a high points total for a course, or maybe because they feel they are capable. This is a fairly painful topic every time the results come out. Last year my cousin was looking for medicine and got 530 in the LC (can't remember what his HPAT was). He wasn't happy with his points as he wasn't sure if he'd get his course and he knew he could have done better, but people began to get on his back, with comments like 'cop on I wish I got that many' etc. Some people are perfectionists, and anything less than a really high score is disappointing. Just something for everyone to bear in mind come results day when you're talking to your friends, or posting on boards.

• Advertisement

Never know, might have went better than ya think, happened to me with the jc. And don't forget the average is like 300 points? So anything above that isn't bad

No, I worked it out, best case scenario is 420, :( the exams were just not going my way and despite telling my dad many many times that I was extremely disappointed with my exams he persists in telling all my relatives that I did alright. Despite this I know I am going to be incredibly disappointed on results day and I know he is going to go tell everyone I did grand, whilst I'll be gutted, crying in my bedroom (and I am not one to cry) having got 80-100 points below my aim :(:(:( I know some people would kill for 400 points but school has undoubtedly been the number 1 priority my whole life (yes since I was 3) and to get so much below my aim just makes me feel like my entire life was a complete and utter waste. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Advertisement