Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nephew has speech impediment

Options
  • 23-06-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am worried about my little nephew who is starting school this year, he has quite a bad speech impediment, it makes him difficult to understand. He is a thoughtful and sensitive little boy and I worry about him being bullied or the other kids not playing with him because they can't understand him. I can't say anything to his mother as it will be taken as an insult.

I can't understand why the health nurse or a doctor hasn't sent him for speech therapy, the older he gets the harder it's going to be, he should have been going long before now. I just worry that he will be isolated because of it and kind understand why they aren't trying to help him. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel that if this isn't sorted it could hamper his confidence, friendships, etc. I am being overly paranoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The Junior Infants teacher will spot it straight away and help get him referred but.. if the parents think there is nothing wrong, there might be a struggle there. Any child under 5 is usually fast tracked for speech and language assessment but after that age there might be a long wait. Many parents go private, if they can afford it, to get the ball rolling with an assessment.

I am curious as to why the parents aren't seeking help. There is very little you can do, albeit a well-meaning worried Aunt, if the child's Mam & Dad don't think there's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I can't understand why the health nurse or a doctor hasn't sent him for speech therapy
    Probably because the parents haven't asked for therapy.

Advertisement