Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flowering ivy or climbing rose on Gazebo

• 23-06-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We have a lovely timber Gazebo in our garden which seats up to 10 people and we love sitting out in for BBQ etc when we do get the summer.

It is hexagonal shape and I was thinking of putting an ivy or cliimbing rose up along 2 sides of it.

I don't have any experience of growing these so just have a few questions.

- Would they be very hard manage and maintain
    - Could they cause damage to timber

I was just thinking of two opposite sides really, I don't want it taking over.

I would also like something that has colour a log of the year around.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ivy can become very invasive and is a vigorous growing plant.It needs hard prunning/cutting back to keep it in check.

Id go for a nice scented flowering rose and prune/train it up and around.

Or even a nice climbing hydrangea or wisteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 anxious1

Thanks Paddy147, I like the look of the Westeria alright. They look to be very bulky, would they be hard to manage.

And do you think there would be any disadvantage growing them on timber.

I had in my mind something with thin stalk and nice flowering but maybe doesn't exist!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 anxious1

just had look at some climbing roses, they look lovely, would they flower for long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

anxious1 wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy147, I like the look of the Westeria alright. They look to be very bulky, would they be hard to manage.

And do you think there would be any disadvantage growing them on timber.

I had in my mind something with thin stalk and nice flowering but maybe doesn't exist!!!!

Whatever you decide to plant,its going to need prunning and training to go where you want it to go.

So you will have some work to do.

But the rewards can be amazing,if you keep it in check.

Also look at the varieties of Clematis...might suit you better.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    Whatever you decide to plant,its going to need prunning and training to go where you want it to go.

So you will have some work to do.

But the rewards can be amazing,if you keep it in check.

Also look at the varieties of Clematis...might suit you better.:)

And don't forget Passion flowers!

We used to have a 6ft long one which I put 2 roses, a clematis and a passion flower on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Clematis, roses, wisteria etc would all be lovely.
    Solanum and jasmine might be nice too but I think ivy is very "domineering" and will swamp everything else and I'd be inclined to give it a miss.

http://lifebetweentheflowers.blogspot.ie/2010/02/climbing-vine-solanum-crispum-glasnevin.html

http://readytomowllc.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jasmine-on-a-pergala.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

lottpaul wrote: »
    Clematis, roses, wisteria etc would all be lovely.
    Solanum and jasmine might be nice too but I think ivy is very "domineering" and will swamp everything else and I'd be inclined to give it a miss.

http://lifebetweentheflowers.blogspot.ie/2010/02/climbing-vine-solanum-crispum-glasnevin.html

http://readytomowllc.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jasmine-on-a-pergala.jpg

Yep, I agree, its a bit boring as well.
    I would go for scented stuff

Advertisement