Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter received last week!!

Options
  • 23-06-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

My son has been in Australia for the past 3 years but held on to his personal current account & credit card. ( Last week he received this letter to his home address in Ireland).

He uses the Laser card & cr card when he comes home. During April & May he used the Cr Card while travelling in Europe.  The 2nd paragraph on the letter stated "we understand that you have not been using your current account recently but the charges still affect you" 
    On the top of the 2nd page it states " if you do not reactivate your account by 17th of Feb 2014, we will automatically close it"  He has over 2 thousand Euro in the current account.  I didnt tell him about this letter at all yet but I intend scanning it to him when I hear back from you.  What does that mean "if you do not reactivate your account" when he used it only recently?  

I am his mum & I opened this account when he was born & now BANK OF IRELAND want to close it?  Its a total disgrace.  I am a GOLDEN YEARS so Thank God I am getting free banking for the moment anyway but I am just disgusted with ye.
     My understanding is you must have a personal account in order to have a credit card.  Are they offering to close ALL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi hillbloom, 

Thanks for posting.

In order to ensure that all customers were aware of our upcoming pricing changes, we wrote to both our active and inactive customers, outlining the changes. 

In the case of inactive accounts, we will not be charging the quarterly maintenance fee until the fee quarter beginning 17th Feb 2014. This gives the account holder 6 months to decide if they want to keep their account and start using it again or close the account. In the case of accounts that have still not been used by 17th Feb 2014, we will be writing to all customers to let them know that we will be closing their account. Accounts that have been used, will not be closed. 

We are not closing credit cards as part of this account closure process. 

If your son has any queries about his account, he can call his branch and a staff member will be happy to help.

A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks Billy.
    Just to be clear on this matter!! (he will ring the branch when he has read the letter himself). 
     He likes to have the service of his Laser & Credit Cards when he comes on holidays but he only comes every 12 to 18 months, in that case is he still able to keep the cards?  He has no problem paying the 5 Euro or any other fees.  Can this be sorted when he calls the Branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi hillbloom, 

There should be no issue with keeping the accounts open and the cards active.
    The call to the branch should be brief and the representative can help with any questions that your son may have. 

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement