Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

145 wind turbines set for bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

I complain about the harbour, I will always complain about the fact that my rights of access and my leisure areas have been taken away from me... I make no apologies in mourning my loss of a beach, Darcys field, and a harbour I as a mere landlubber used daily....but goes to show how little people try and understand these things... Anyone who raises an objection to their rights been taken away is labelled as a serial objector........In fact not, Ive no problem whatsoever with wind turbines, not even in my line of vision.. I can see a purpose to them..... I might not be voicing a public opinion however.....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm all for it. To me the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I don't mind them either. Just one thing though and without any knowledge about this particular array, who benefits? Does the Irish state get anything out of it?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    I don't mind them either. Just one thing though and without any knowledge about this particular array, who benefits? Does the Irish state get anything out of it?

Also, I would have no issue here.

I would have thought we would see lower electricity bills due to lower importation and dependence of fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Seems a bit odd how close to the coastline it is, considering that higher wind speeds would be further out in the ocean. Anyone know the thinking behind the location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm sorry, just looked at the pdf linked on the original post - stupid eegits routing the cable up to Kilternan and back down to Carrickmines...There's a road called the M50 running straight to Carrickmines from Shankill. Typical :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Quote:

Originally Posted by bido

The citizens will have enough to think about when this happens.

The Codling Wind Park would be a 220 turbine offshore wind farm at Codling Bank 13 km off the east coast of Ireland between Greystones and Wicklow ...

Quote:
    Tabnabs
    And that's probably where it will remain. The Arklow bank is already established, but the plans to increase it by another 197 turbines were scrapped in 2007. Is the current Arklow Bank windfarm a blight on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Will be interesting to see if this goeas ahead.

The request is for 145 60mtr high wind turbines stretching across shankill to greystones.

dublinarray.com/downloads/additional_docs/Site-Layout-Plan-1.pdf

www.wicklownews.net/Post/2013/6/5033/offshore-wind-farm-have-your-say

Everyone complaining about the harbour / McDonald's will have a field day with this I would think. But being a fan or technology and modern architecture I'm looking forward to them if they get the go ahead. I love looking at the arklow bank, totally memorising!

mesmerizing even

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Some off topic posts have been removed. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

DD9090 wrote: »
    I would have thought we would see lower electricity bills due to lower importation and dependence of fossil fuels.
    No it doesn't work like that. You can be sure that energy costs will continue to increase.

Have a little Google and you will see how much it costs to generate electricity with wind turbines compared to other methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

FirstIn wrote: »
    I'm all for it. To me the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Yes if the associated benefits with off shore wind farms go to irish people (am i allowed to use that term)? Or will the lecky produced go to power british homes? If so why should we look at them off shore.

Will be interesting to see if this goeas ahead.

The request is for 145 60mtr high wind turbines stretching across shankill to greystones.

dublinarray.com/downloads/additional_docs/Site-Layout-Plan-1.pdf

www.wicklownews.net/Post/2013/6/5033/offshore-wind-farm-have-your-say

Everyone complaining about the harbour / McDonald's will have a field day with this I would think. But being a fan or technology and modern architecture I'm looking forward to them if they get the go ahead. I love looking at the arklow bank, totally memorising!

The sea view out from greystones is already ruined by "modern architecture the harbour "if you get your wish to furture ruin the landscape with windmills to power british homes i fear for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Maudi wrote: »
    The sea view out from greystones is already ruined by "modern architecture the harbour "if you get your wish to furture ruin the landscape with windmills to power british homes i fear for us.

Wind turbines are ugly regardless of whose homes are powered by them

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

But if they are powering British homes then surely Britain will be paying for the power. So either way Ireland will be benefiting? what difference will it make if we are paying for the electricity generated or Britain if the money generated is going to the Irish?

I personally like wind farms so have no problem ref the view. Also they could power all the oil rigs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bido

The citizens will have enough to think about when this happens.

The Codling Wind Park would be a 220 turbine offshore wind farm at Codling Bank 13 km off the east coast of Ireland between Greystones and Wicklow ...

Quote:
    Tabnabs
    And that's probably where it will remain. The Arklow bank is already established, but the plans to increase it by another 197 turbines were scrapped in 2007. Is the current Arklow Bank windfarm a blight on the horizon?

there are only seven turbines off the arklow coast. they are actually not too bad of an eye sore. but they are pretty far offshore maybe 10 to 15 k. when you look out at them from different shorelines north or south of arklow.they always seem to be straight in front of you. its like an optical illusion.lol

Jimjay wrote: »
    But if they are powering British homes then surely Britain will be paying for the power. So either way Ireland will be benefiting? what difference will it make if we are paying for the electricity generated or Britain if the money generated is going to the Irish?

I personally like wind farms so have no problem ref the view. Also they could power all the oil rigs ;-)
    Why dont they build them on their side of the irish sea?:) Always look at the bigger picture...1.get us finance/build em...2 we have the eyesore ...3.when theres no wind ...we are charged penalties for not supplying them with power..; )

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Wind turbines are ugly regardless of whose homes are powered by them

Wind turbines only work when theres wind..if theres none and we are contracted to supply to power british homes..we owe them money...lose lose for us..win win for them..ie corrib...ie again..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why dont they build them on their side of the irish sea?
    Because they are "ours" :confused:
    Technically it is not as efficient. Longer cable runs = less efficiency

1.get us finance/build em
    For a profit that creates jobs.
    2 we have the eyesore
    ......many miles out to see. Besides many think they look cool :cool:
    3.when theres no wind ...we are charged penalties for not supplying them with power..; )

At the end of the day they make a net profit. Are you honestly suggesting that due to penalties we would somehow make a loss?? I hate the fact that we buy electricity from the UK. I would far rather Ireland be a net exporter of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

2011 wrote: »
    Because they are "ours" :confused:
    Technically it is not as efficient. Longer cable runs = less efficiency

For a profit that creates jobs.

......many miles out to see. Besides many think they look cool :cool:

At the end of the day they make a net profit. Are you honestly suggesting that due to penalties we would somehow make a loss?? I hate the fact that we buy electricity from the UK. I would far rather Ireland be a net exporter of electricity.
    Plus how often is it not windy on the Irish Sea????

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Why dont they build them on their side of the irish sea?:) Always look at the bigger picture...1.get us finance/build em...2 we have the eyesore ...3.when theres no wind ...we are charged penalties for not supplying them with power..; )

That's not how the business model for windfarms works. When they produce power networks must accept it and can only constrain or curtail the power purchased in certain circumstances. When there is no power produced because of no wind there are no penalties.

Depending on the parties and the agreements there are normally penalties for not having the turbines available to produce power but that's a different issue to the one above.

As for cheaper electricity the model is not conducive to that either - as any agreement to purchase power will have a minimum price guaranteed below which the government will subsidise the revenue. It is that guaranteed revenue stream that allows banks to fund the schemes and recover their money and allows developers to generate a return.

• Advertisement

youknowwho wrote: »
    That's not how the business model for windfarms works. When they produce power networks must accept it and can only constrain or curtail the power purchased in certain circumstances. When there is no power produced because of no wind there are no penalties.

Depending on the parties and the agreements there are normally penalties for not having the turbines available to produce power but that's a different issue to the one above.

As for cheaper electricity the model is not conducive to that either - as any agreement to purchase power will have a minimum price guaranteed below which the government will subsidise the revenue. It is that guaranteed revenue stream that allows banks to fund the schemes and recover their money and allows developers to generate a return.
    You've pretty much confirmed my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Further to all the buying and selling of the power you also need to consider that an equivalent thermal power station will be built somewhere to maintain the base load and be on hand to generate the power when the turbines don't.

Much as I like wind turbines they really don't make any sense at all on a national scale. Too expensive, too unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Everyone complaining about the harbour / McDonald's will have a field day with this I would think.

You know what this attitude stinks. Neither have anything to do with this topic. I'm not even going to bother explaining the difference in these projects because even an idiot would know. Please do not compare wind farms to either of the above and in doing so have a passive aggressive dig at certain people Matt Dublin.

I personally welcome them.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Further to all the buying and selling of the power you also need to consider that an equivalent thermal power station will be built somewhere to maintain the base load and be on hand to generate the power when the turbines don't.

Have they not put in the foundations for the thermal power station already,
    opposite the beach house, or maybe that has something to do with the harbour:D:mad::mad:

Advertisement