Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Course Help

• 23-06-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Just working out courses and such and was thinking about Computer Science in UCD. I'm aware that UCD has a huge amount of modularised choices - I'm just wondering can anyone tell me if it's possible to take modules in German while studying Computer Science?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

Yep! I did French in 1st year, and you can continue to choose your electives (i.e. your optional modules) in German in future years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MacDizzle

Thanks so much! CAO is so mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mariebob20

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any courses for secondary school teaching which includes the Hdip? I know Mater Dei in Dublin does but does anyone know of any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Theres a new course starting in september in ucd for maths and science teachers. It's a five year course through the science programme and your qualified to teach at the end of it.
    http://www.ucd.ie/science/courses/DN200_teaching_pathways.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

mariebob20 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any courses for secondary school teaching which includes the Hdip? I know Mater Dei in Dublin does but does anyone know of any others?

You're not looking to do a HDip anymore*, the standard qualification for teaching now seems to be a PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education) which is what the big colleges/universities are doing, seems to be two years rather than 3. UCD now offers a Science + Education programme, which is 5 years instead of 4. I'd imagine if that goes really well they'll roll it out to other faculties.

I would heavily advise against doing a combined degree that integrates teaching though, it might be cheaper in the short term but it means you get significantly less exposure to your chosen subjects. I say this because I really wanted to teach when I was in sixth year and now I definitely do not want to teach. Your plan mightn't change, but just keep it in mind!

*I'm not 100% sure, I think it's the case now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement