Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd growth/lump on toe pad

• 23-06-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

Guys, Im back again with an issue with my 15 year old JRT.
    He recovered fantastically from recent gastro problem, thanks to antibiotics and various meds, but we're back with another problem.

Hes in great shape for his age - a little deaf, cataracts starting, arthritis in 1 shoulder, gastro problem in control now with home-cooked-only-diet, and skin allergy much better with new regime. A really happy, full of life oldie.

So! Ive noticed for a few weeks that he's got a 'growth'/lump on the base of two of his toe pads on one paw. (Its the leg that he has arthritis in his shoulder, he limps, so this lump may have been there longer) This lump seems to be a bit sensitive. Isnt too soft. Doesnt seem to have fluid in. Isnt 'hot'/inflamed/infected.The issue is that this dog is too old for surgery. (The vet said last time he was pretty sick with the gastro prob that he couldnt have anaesthetic). So my question is this. We are on borrowed time we know with this dog. He has various fatty lumps and bumps on his body. This lump doesnt seem to be causing him any real problems - his walks are two short walks/day now. I dont want to take him to the vet again (there 2 weeks ago last time, totally stresses him out, hes had horrible experiences poor dog and the excellent, lovely vets are great with him but...) If the lump is bad, at his age there isnt much that will be done, anyone got any suggestions on how we can try to 'harden' up this lump. Im not asking for medical treatments. Ive been soaking the paw in salt water, any other suggestions/ideas?

This dog is adored, and has always been taken to the vet for annual shots/boosters and his ongoing gastric/allergy and age related problems, so its not an issue that Im avoiding the vet for any reason other than trying to avoid huge stress on this elderly chap, but at the same time maintain some decent quality of life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

aonb wrote: »
    If the lump is bad, at his age there isnt much that will be done, anyone got any suggestions on how we can try to 'harden' up this lump.

I was holding off on replying to this one, but your whole entire post pretty much summed up what i would have said. He's 15, too old to be put through anaesthesia, it may or may not just be a lipoma (fatty lump). The only way you'll know for sure is by a biopsy/fine needle aspirate.
    wrote:
    This dog is adored,
    There's no doubt about it aonb, no doubt at all.You sound like such a great owner and vet visits are both stressful and expensive. But, there's nothing anyone here can tell you about a random lump on a 15 year old dog in fairness.It's probably why nobody's responded.Only a vet can tell you what this is :o

A lipoma normally feels squishy and manoueverable and sometimes vets can quickly diagnose this by looking for "fat cells" under the microscope, but it will take a qualified clinical pathologist to further assess and that's why all vets send these samples to a designated laboratory.

I'm not telling you anything you already don't know,and it's so hard with the oldies to know "how much is too much". Salt water probably won't help matters as it's only really useful on mild bacterial infections. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just something I would be thinking, since it's on the same foot as he is limping on could it be possible that the change in gait from the limp has someone caused a swelling? Like a callous or something like that. If he is putting pressure on an area of the foot that wasn't used to it maybe that could be a cause, a bit like us getting a blister from wearing new shoes? Now that might not be it at all, as anniehoo mentioned there is not a whole lot we can say about mystery lumps, especially in oldies, they just pop up all over the place! My old girl had some gigantic lipomas but again we were in the same situation, she was old and anaesthetic would be risky at 15 years of age it was a case of leave well alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

thanks both of you. Hard to know what to do when going to the vet is so stressful - they even have to muzzle him, the gentlest old dog in Ireland!
    He had a lovely walk around Punchestown this morning, kept to the grass verge - such a clever dog! Sillymango thats a good point about the shoulder arthritis causing a gait change. Think I'll phone the vet and see what they say - I'd hate to think it'd be an easy fix that we didnt avail of because of trying to keep him happy.

Advertisement