Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arpeggios, scales and modes???

Options
  • 23-06-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Okay, I'm jut not getting the difference between arpeggios and scales. And where does modes come into the situation, any help appreciate. :confused::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Right....

An arpeggio represents the notes of a chord (root 3rd 5th) played as individual notes. Not to be confused with...

...modes. Which are an agreed sequence of tones and semitones (or combinations thereof) within the span of an octave.

Simple really!

Sorry. Forgot the scales/modes bit. Scales are modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Okay, I'm jut not getting the difference between arpeggios and scales. And where does modes come into the situation, any help appreciate. :confused::D

An arpeggio are the notes of a chord being played separately instead of at the same time. So if you take a C major chord for example you play the notes C-E-G separately instead of striking them at the same like you would do as if you were playing a chord!

A scale is usually 7 notes or 8 if you include the octave and they are the building blocks of music. A major scale in the key of C major would be C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C and from this chords and arpeggios are made. The notes in scales vary depending on the key, the tonic (starting note), type of scale like major or minor and other various things. Pentatonic scales only have 5 notes though!

Modes are scales themselves. They start on different degrees of the major scale. A better way of explaining it would be write it like this.
    In a C major scale you start on the note c and end on the octave of that note. So it would be C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C.
    Now in a mode you would start on a different degree of the major scale and play from there. So for example you could start on the second degree of the scale which is D and then play to the octave so it would be D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D. That would be called a Dorian mode.
    A Phrygian mode starts on the 3rd degree of the scale so in C major you would start on E and play E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E and so forth for the rest of them.
    Modes add their own unique colour or flavour to a piece you are playing so they can be quite useful.

I would suggest really learning the major, minor and pentatonic scales before you start learning modes. I just jumped straight into modes and got really confused. Just build a good foundation of major, minor and pentatonic scales and you shouldn't get too confused looking into modes!
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MusicLifeMan

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, I've gotten a better understanding because of this now.

• Advertisement

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, I've gotten a better understanding because of this now.

No problem at all. Just take in a bit of information each day and before you know it you'll know loads about theory!
    Walk before you run and all that jazz :pac:

Jazz comes waaaaaaay after running....

I found this guide last night. It may be some use :)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f90/introduction-scale-chord-theory-125519/

Advertisement