Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super moon in the skies

Options
  • 23-06-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Worth having a look out the window, very bright and low in the sky .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

decies wrote: »
    Worth having a look out the window, very bright and low in the sky .

Up in Dublin myself admiring this tonight thinking I have only ever seen the moon this way about ten times in my lifetime, 31 in three weeks. It is a great sight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

It was really beautiful alright. Its called a Perigee moon, appears to be about 12% larger and 30% brighter than normal. The effect was enhanced even more because it was a full moon. This is the nearest that the moon ever comes to the Earth, happens every 13months or so. Next one will be on August 10th 2014.

Last night was super, but the effect will last for another day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't bother, big moon big deal! :p Seen this before, not as good as a proper "harvest moon" though. Low and orange/yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Went out to the Guillamenes last night for a look. Was met by about 20 people sporting all sorts of cameras and telescopes mounted on tripods and a wedding!!! Bride in the big white dress and groom and the works. Dunno is they were doing the ceremony but they were defo taking a load of pictures.

Advertisement