Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dehumidifier - Relative Humidity

Options
  • 24-06-2013 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a dehumidifier or concerned with moisture in the cabinet/safe/closet?

Too much humidity, you get rust, too little, you dry out wood stocks.

I have my dehumidifier set a 55% - what's your setting?

Has anyone ever heard of a recommended setting for storage of firearms and/or ammo?

I suppose ammo should be as dry as possible, but I would not say the same for firearms.

Also, it is best to have as cold air as possible. As temperature decrease, the ability for air to hold moisture decreases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

FISMA wrote: »
    Also, it is best to have as cold air as possible. As temperature decrease, the ability for air to hold moisture decreases.

If you keep it in a colder space then every time you open the door you will let in warm mist air that will condense on the coldest surface in your store area. Probably the metal parts of your gun...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll be honest and say i don't have one. I have one of the little plastic jobbies that you buy in a hardware store, and just stick in the room (suppose it's a cheap humidifier), but i have the room well insulated, and a radiator in the room. It's always a good constant temp even during winter, and the guns are rarely in the safe for more than a day or two at a time.

IOW they are out, used, cleaned, oiled, and put back in frequently.

Suppose it's something i should look into.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Gg4y0pvXM

http://blog.del-ton.com/2010/10/guns-humidity-protecting-your-gun.html

"The optimal atmospheric condition for most guns and rifles is 70 degrees Fahrenheit with humidity levels around or below 50%. Implementing humidity reducing products in your gun storage and maintaining a steady, cool temperature will ensure that your guns and rifles remain in good condition and function well for a long time!"

An internet rumor also has firearms museums stating same as above, not substantiated (by me).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've given my stuff a coat of microcrystalline wax to keep the moisture from doing any damage. It seems to do the tricks but the room they're stored in gets quite hot on a sunny day and it's doing no favours to anything leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

FISMA
    Constants are your friend and the secret of successful storage. A relative humidity of 50-55% is more important than minor temperature fluctuations. But try and avoid major temperature spikes.

The Goldenrod product works great. Most rust on stored guns is the result of handling and forgetting to wipe the gun off before putting back in a safe.
    Corrosion control paper -VPI (Vapour Phase Inhibitor)- paper is great stuff for use in the bores of long-term stored guns.

I agree with "kowloon" on the use microcrystalline wax.
    David Kennedy, former curator of the Cody Firearms Museum, stated that they apply a coat of microcrystalline wax to all their firearms and, in his experience, suggested that this was the best thing they had found for their purposes.
    The two waxes are Renaissance Wax and Conservator's Wax. I use Renaissance wax for all my old and new firearms, applied to both the metal and the wood. I've been using it for over 25 years and it has completely stopped the occasional spot of surface rust that would sometimes appear during a humid summer in spite of the oiled metal.
    Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement