Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Diceman

Options
  • 24-06-2013 2:07am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here remember the Dublin character that was Thom McGinty, aka The Diceman?

He brought endless entertainment to the pedestrians of Grafton Street and was a legend in his 18 years of doing street theatre in Dublin. Sadly, Thom passed away just over 18 years (hard to believe!) ago, in 1995 - but his ghost still haunts Grafton Street IMO.:cool::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you do a search there are rakes of threads on the subject of the Diceman that you might find interesting

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

uch wrote: »
    If you do a search there are rakes of threads on the subject of the Diceman that you might find interesting

Cheers, I already had taken a look at some of those threads but I thought that people might want to contribute their own memories and views of the Diceman here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

He lived next door to a friend of mine in Drumcondra so had many good nights/parties in his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

nudger wrote: »
    He lived next door to a friend of mine in Drumcondra so had many good nights/parties in his company.

Thought I read somewhere that he lived out Dalkey/Dún Laoghaire way somewhere, ah well you live and learn

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

uch wrote: »
    Thought I read somewhere that he lived out Dalkey/Dún Laoghaire way somewhere, ah well you live and learn

He lived just off Botanic ave, that was around 89/90, his "The Diceman" van was parked there, he could well have moved, my friend moved so i wasn't back after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wonder what The Diceman would have made of the new paving for Grafton Street? To many people who grew up in the 80s and 90s - like myself - Thom WAS Grafton Street.

His spirit still haunts the street I reckon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I have a very distinct memory of him doing a piece about the Balkans war on Grafton street in the early nineties . He was dressed in white rags, blood stained etc. The intensity of his stare as he stalked up the street, it was so creepy and really hit a nerve about the futility of that conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Remember him on the Late Late for some reason, he seemed like a lovely, open guy.

He was such a fixture around town, every day was a bit better when you saw him :)

Advertisement