Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox

Options
  • 24-06-2013 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I’m hoping someone can help me out with an issue I’m having with Dropbox.

My situation is as follows;

I setup Dropbox on my PC and purchased storage for 100GB.The PC is an old one which works fine but only has about 50 GB of free space.

I have an external drive which has files-mainly videos and photos- which total about 80 GB.

What I want to do is transfer all the information that’s on that external drive over to Dropbox.

What I didn’t realise is that during the transfer process these files are backed up onto the hard drive on my PC but as I don’t have enough free space only some of them are being sent to Dropbox.Having said that even if I did have enough space I still wouldn’t want that to happen as I don’t need these files on my PC-they are on the external drive and will (or at least that was the plan!) be in Dropbox.

There is an option in Dropbox called Selective Sync which appears to be the answer to my issue but it’s not working for me.

Can anyone please help me as its incredibly frustrating. In theory what I want to do is so straightforward….transfer files directly from an external drive to Dropbox without being stored on the PC which is facilitating this transfer.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Possible solution for you.
    On PC, install dropbox and sync.
    The turn off sync on the PC
    On website, you can right click on the folder for delete. (you can do a restore to some other drive elsewhere).
    With that done, move your dropbox folder(right click, preferences, advanced tab) to the external drive, and turn back on sync.

Obviously, you'll want to test this on a small scale.
    But with the website, you can have stuff marked for delete, but still be available. Theres a show deleted files button.
    Don't know if it will work after moving folder location, but it might

Advertisement