Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa the Rotator eh? He'll never stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mike65 wrote: »

It does make his teams harder to beat in the late season though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jernal wrote: »
    Sigh point out the player rep would be like me dismissing your point because you're a Milan fan. Either something is a penalty or it isn't. Player rep should have nothing to do with it. (Even if referees appear to gamble otherwise.) You think the contact was minimal I think it was enough of an obstruction. I don't see any way past this impasse.

There is no impasse, Neymar threw himself on the ground AFTER abate had pulled his arm away, it's a blatant dive and if he wasn't a Barca player there is no way you'd be arguing other wise.

And the fact that Neymar is a serial diver is totally relevant, just like the fact that Ashley Young is a serial diver relevant when people talk about the panalty he won last night.

Sigh all you want but for all your implying that I'm only calling it a dive because I'm a Milan fan I can more validly retort that you're only saying it wasn't a dive because the guilty player was wearing a Barca jersey.

At least Man Utd fans can admit that Young is a diver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

That was a pretty obvious dive by Neymar, I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise with a straight face.

Seaneh wrote: »
    There is no impasse, Neymar threw himself on the ground AFTER abate had pulled his arm away, it's a blatant dive and if he wasn't a Barca player there is no way you'd be arguing other wise.

And the fact that Neymar is a serial diver is totally relevant, just like the fact that Ashley Young is a serial diver relevant when people talk about the panalty he won last night.

Sigh all you want but for all your implying that I'm only calling it a dive because I'm a Milan fan I can more validly retort that you're only saying it wasn't a dive because the guilty player was wearing a Barca jersey.

At least Man Utd fans can admit that Young is a diver.

Ok, this is my last post on the topic as we're clearly on different wavelengths here.
    My point was that I didn't respond to your post by stating your a Milan fan because that still has no bearing on the substance of my posts. Just pointing it out doesn't make my argument more or less valid. Nor does you pointing out Neymar's a diver. If it's a penalty it's a penalty doesn't matter if it's Paul McShane or Ashley Young who's "fouled". Penalties need to be judged objectively not subjectively biased by player's histories. Similarly posts shouldn't be judged or dismissed on fan loyalties. Even if I was a Barca fan, or you a Milan fan, that shouldn't be relevant.

Finally, I don't support anyone. I described Neymar as pogo stick in the confeds cup in a thread here somewhere. He was getting so much height in his dives! So, yeah, I'm saying even with that pogo stick rep I still think it was a penalty. Like I said we're at an impasse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It drives me mad. But then again they're two points off the top of Serie A, and in with a great shout of qualifying from their CL group. So he's doing something right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just in case anyone missed the dive or the offside header.

The gif shows nothing..

dfx- wrote: »
    The gif shows nothing..

Shows him theatrically falling to the ground while Abate's arm is about a metre away from him.

He's the most consistent diver I've ever seen, he even puts Ashley Young to shame.

You can see Abate's hand, in the air behind Neymar while Neymar is doing his forward dive with a 180 degree twist onto the ground.

Par for the course for the player in question really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Have to say I've looked at it a hundred times and I honestly think it was in no way a penalty. It's a contact sport and there was minimal contact, certainly not enough for Neymar to fling himself to the ground like that.

Irrelevant stuff:
    It was even less of a penalty than Lewandowski's shout in stoppage time that wasn't given.

Neymar has a long history of diving and gamesmanship and although you're right in that his reputation has no bearing on whether or not it was a foul, it does have a bearing on why he went down.

And a final, bitter comment. Time and time again the big teams at home get the decisions. Barcelona constantly get decisions at the Nou Camp that a referee would be shot for giving away from home. The penalty tonight is one. The offside isn't because that happens lots of teams all the time. It was the same a few years back when Barcelona got a joke of a penalty against Milan when the ball wasn't even in play from a corner. And again for the RVP sending off against Arsenal a few years back and there's many more.

I genuinely expected Barcelona to get a big decision in their favour tonight before the game even started. Just pointing this out, not using it as an excuse because I think they would have won anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You can see Abate's hand, in the air behind Neymar while Neymar is doing his forward dive with a 180 degree twist onto the ground.

Par for the course for the player in question really.

First angle (main camera) is the only shot of the whole play and is inconclusive. You'd need an angle form behind the referee as the ball is played over the top.
    I genuinely expected Barcelona to get a big decision in their favour tonight before the game even started. Just pointing this out, not using it as an excuse because I think they would have won anyway

Everyone says that against Barcelona. The recent Celtic matchthread, the clasico - any game with Barcelona in the spotlight, you'd find the "I knew Barcelona would get a decision" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Barcelona not getting anywhere near the credit in this thread that their performance tonight deserves. Sublime, absolutely sublime for 90 minutes, the inventiveness of the passing, the stern control they had throughout, the variation and interplay between the front three and Xavi and Iniesta putting in a couple of vintage performances each. At the back Mascherano and Pique made key interceptions when they had to, Alves and Adriano looked so dangerous in the opposition half, the aggressiveness of the pressing, this was a performance of the highest caliber. The third goal summed it up, Messi to Fabregas, his perfectly executed, weighted and timed pass finds Messi, who skips past a diving tackle and his composure in front of goal is never in any doubt, brilliance personified.

Barcelona not getting anywhere near the credit in this thread that their performance tonight deserves. Sublime, absolutely sublime for 90 minutes, the inventiveness of the passing, the stern control they had throughout, the variation and interplay between the front three and Xavi and Iniesta putting in a couple of vintage performances each. At the back Mascherano and Pique made key interceptions when they had to, Alves and Adriano looked so dangerous in the opposition half, the aggressiveness of the pressing, this was a performance of the highest caliber. The third goal summed it up, Messi to Fabregas, his perfectly executed, weighted and timed pass finds Messi, who skips past a diving tackle and his composure in front of goal is never in any doubt, brilliance personified.

You're dead right. Barcelona played some of their best stuff tonight. And that's exactly why they won't win the Champions League.

Milan were missing their 2 best players in Balotelli and El Shaarawy and looked absolutely toothless going forward in the 1st half. Barcelona won 3-1 including a very dodgy penalty and a clear offside goal, however I feel they'd have pushed on and got a goal if they needed to. Against a better team, they will struggle.

Pique made another poor mistake (as usual) but was good enough in the 2nd half. Mascherano could have had 3 yellow cards but got away scot-free. Dani Alves was very quiet and Adriano struggled big time with Balotelli when he came on.

Thought Neymar and Messi played very well, Sanchez was anonymous. Iniesta as usual played well but Xavi seemed more worried about his passing stats than he was about creating anything, he's a bit like a child with OCD playing fifa and not wanting to give the ball away.

Barcelona, imo, won't win the CL

Actually thought Tata showed little respect for that Milan team. That was the game plan of old. Why am I mentioning this? Because Tata can if he chooses set up teams to be really difficult to beat. Barca were sort of let go free. Milan were a shambles at times. Tata Paraguay were extraordinarily effective. But for a missed penalty they could have beaten the world champs. If Barca play like they did tonight they probably won't win the UCL. However against better teams they don't play like they played tonight. . .

Don't think they will either but Tata has put me to be that bit less likely to say they won't.

Really want Atletico or Arsenal to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Video was already taken offline, but here's a (crappy) gif of Ajax' goal.

ipT9Xl2pEqEHs.gif

It was quite good, one time football.

Vidjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why is it that the CL fixtures don't take a logical layout

e.g. celtic played milan first, bacelona second, ajak third, ajak fourth

so you would think it would be barcelona fifth and milan last

but it isn't :confused:

1-2-3-3-1-2

Been like that as long as i remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tonights games
    Group E
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI) 1 V 0 Chelsea FC (ENG)
    FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU) 0 V 0 FC Schalke 04 (GER)

Group F
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 3 V 1 SSC Napoli (ITA)
    Arsenal FC (ENG) 2 V 0 Olympique de Marseille (FRA)

Group G
    FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) 1 V 1 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    FC Porto (POR) 1 V 1 FK Austria Wien (AUT)

Group H
    AFC Ajax (NED) 2 V 1 FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Celtic FC (SCO) 0 V 3 AC Milan (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

1-2-3-3-1-2

Been like that as long as i remember!

but why

where's the logic in it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ajax 2-0 up against Barca, this stat must be wrong but soccerway has the first half down as 85% possession to the home side.

Pinto Puyol Piqué Martín Montoya J. Mascherano Fàbregas Iniesta Xavi A. Song Pedro Neymar

Ajax 2-0 up against Barca, this stat must be wrong but soccerway has the first half down as 85% possession to the home side.

Pinto
    Puyol
    Piqué
    Martín Montoya
    J. Mascherano
    Fàbregas
    Iniesta
    Xavi
    A. Song
    Pedro
    Neymar

Wouldn't be surprised if the two goals were brain farts from either Pinto or Pique, because they are both shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pinto Puyol Piqué Martín Montoya J. Mascherano Fàbregas Iniesta Xavi A. Song Pedro Neymar

51% on Uefa match tracker.

Maybe it was for the last 5 minutes?

Some sites/channels show possession stats for the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i remember during the euros' the UEFA one being way different to opta or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hats off to Ajax, huge effort there from them. Some heroic individual performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Cant complain, first half killed us. Much better in second half. What a team to lose your first game as manager of Barcelona against though. De Boer is doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The basel schalke game and the two group f games on the last day should be tastey affairs.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    The basel schalke game and the two group f games on the last day should be tasety affairs.

As should Milan vs Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bad night for celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Napoli not getting that second goal against Dortmund will probably come back to haunt them. As it is now, they've beaten each other once in the group, but the Germans have the better aggregate score over the two matches. So if the three teams in the group all finish level on 12 points, Dortmund would pip Napoli. Looks like Napoli will have to beat Arsenal by at least 3 goals to stand any chance of qualifying. Dortmund will surely win in Marseilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

dreamers75 wrote: »

According to reports he made it, but it looked really bad.

Tonights Games
    Group A

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 4 V 0 Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 0 V 5 Manchester United FC (ENG)

Group B
    Juventus (ITA) 3 V 1 FC København (DEN)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) 4 V 1 Galatasaray AŞ (TUR)

Group C
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 2 V 1 Olympiacos FC (GRE)
    RSC Anderlecht (BEL) 2 V 3 SL Benfica (POR)

Group D
    Manchester City FC (ENG) 4 V 2 FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
    PFC CSKA Moksva (RUS) 1 V 3 FC Bayern München (GER)

I think Shakhtar vs Sociedad might be the pick of the lot for a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25115105
    An Ajax fan has been seriously injured as he fell from the stands celebrating a goal in the team's Champions League game against Barcelona.

The man fell around 5m (16ft) after Danny Hoesen scored for the hosts just before half-time at the Amsterdam Arena, according to Dutch police.

He suffered serious head injuries and was taken to hospital, but his current condition is unclear.

The match ended 2-1 keeping Ajax's hopes for qualification alive.

Images taken by people in the arena appeared to show the man lying on the track around the pitch.

Two ambulances arriving to help the unidentified supporter collided with each other, according to reports, before one took him away.

Hoesen's goal put Ajax 2-0 ahead in their Group H match.

I really hope he'll be ok but it looks very bad for him

**Warning** Graphic Picture

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaBwqTaCIAImYnF.jpg

:eek::(

Ouch

Tonights Games
    Group A
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) 0 V 1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) 1 V 0 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

Group B
    FC København (DEN) 0 V 2 Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Galatasaray AŞ (TUR) A V A Juventus (ITA)

Group C
    SL Benfica (POR) 2 V 1 Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA)
    Olympiacos FC (GRE) 3 V 1 RSC Anderlecht (BEL)

Group D
    FC Bayern München (GER) 2 V 3 Manchester City FC (ENG)
    FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) 2 V 1 PFC CSKA Moksva (RUS)

Juve game is going to finish late as it is currently suspended to clear hail stones from the pitch

Game called off to be played again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Snow in Istanbul.... wtf were odds on that?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Götze did well two goals for bayern. Or gotse as a guy in work pronounces it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

BbJuICKIEAAVFZz.png
    no idea when they plan to go ahead with this match yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Well done to City, 2-2 game on.

livescore says match is abandoned

snowblind wrote: »
    BbJuICKIEAAVFZz.png
    no idea when they plan to go ahead with this match yet

Appropriate username.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

yeah it's either gonna go on tomorrow or "on a reserve date set by the UEFA administration"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

3-2 City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

3-2 ManC, Milner with a fine finish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Nothing compared to the snow at the Eagles game the other day.

615x500_McCoySnow.jpg

thats gonna be weird,when is draw for 2nd phase on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement