Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Excellent save by Buffon from Drogba a few mins ago

snowblind wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with it. You said the controversy would be great. I would prefer a game where controversy wouldn't obscure the sportsmanship deciding the result.

So you don't want Galatasaray to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Also 45 minutes out of 60 played today Juve will have to attack the part of pitch that is completely wrecked - passing there has proven to be impossible. Not same conditions for both teams.

So you don't want Galatasaray to win?
    What? You just want Gala to win, doesn't matter how? Ok.

What? You just want Gala to win, doesn't matter how? Ok.

What are you ****ing on about?

Also 45 minutes out of 60 played today Juve will have to attack the part of pitch that is completely wrecked - passing there has proven to be impossible. Not same conditions for both teams.

And they'll be defending the end that's much cleaner so less chance of a back-pass error or goalkeeper miskick.

So ok you just want controversy instead of properly played football match, I get it.

And they'll be defending the end that's much cleaner so less chance of a back-pass error or goalkeeper miskick.
    Yes. Which means the conditions are not the same for both teams.

So ok you just want controversy instead of properly played football match, I get it.
    Well since the game is going ahead right now (not much I can do about that, believe it or not) why not wsih for a bit of a laugh out of it?
    Yes. Which means the conditions are not the same for both teams.
    So Juventus have the unfair advantage now?
    Unless each team swaps their players for each half and played in a climate-controlled arena then your idea of the same conditions for each team will never be met unfortunately.

Well since the game is going ahead right now (not much I can do about that, believe it or not) why not wsih for a bit of a laugh out of it?
    Some of us watch it for the football, and would like the game to be won by the better team.
    So Juventus have the unfair advantage now?
    Unless each team swaps their players for each half and played in a climate-controlled arena then your idea of the same conditions for each team will never be met unfortunately.
    I did not say that. You said that the conditions are the same for both teams. They are not. Who has the advantage is not the point. The point is that the match should not played unless it is possible to have the same conditions for both.
    In this case the difference in the conditions is far greater than the norm. Or do you disagree?

• Advertisement

Some of us watch it for the football, and would like the game to be won by the better team.
    And if Galatasaray win then they'll likely have been the better team, that's how it works.
    I did not say that. You said that the conditions are the same for both teams. They are not. Who has the advantage is not the point. The point is that the match should not played unless it is possible to have the same conditions for both.
    But having the same conditions is impossible with current technologies.
    (I used a bit of a cliche, shoot me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Live CL football at 2pm on a Wednesday is the job btw

kryogen wrote: »
    Live CL football at 2pm on a Wednesday is the job btw

They did well to pick my day off.

And if Galatasaray win then they'll likely have been the better team, that's how it works.
    Eh, maybe if we decided that Football is THIS and not what it usually is.
    But having the same conditions is impossible with current technologies.
    (I used a bit of a cliche, shoot me.)
    Going from cliche towards nitpicking. Because the exact same conditions cannot be had, anything goes? The conditions are absolutely ridiculous, but to you this here is the same as having a 0.5m/second wind blowing over the pitch?

Of course, if Buttonftw's favourite team were in Juve's shoes, he'd be content with any result as being "won by the best team".

Of course, he didn't just say he loves the controversy, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hahaha get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Galatasaray 1 up. 5 minutes to go

Sneijder scores!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Great goal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Holy crap Juve is going out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Hope gal Hold on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Will juve start crying about unfair advantages and cheating???

retalivity wrote: »

Well of course:D

retalivity wrote: »
    Yeah that would be horrible, no other team would feel like there was something wrong here, eh?

"Ok we'll just put a tractor on the pitch and totally **** it up on one side of the pitch.....guess which?" And the Liverpool fans go "ah yeah fair enough"

• Advertisement

Of course, if Buttonftw's favourite team were in Juve's shoes, he'd be content with any result as being "won by the best team".

Of course, he didn't just say he loves the controversy, right?

Learn to read. I said since I have no preference for these teams I'd prefer the entertainment. If no-one cared then the game would be in trouble. When a friend's team lose it wouldn't be much fun if all you said was "Your team lost. I feel nothing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Ok we'll just put a tractor on the pitch and totally **** it up on one side of the pitch.....guess which?" And the Liverpool fans go "ah yeah fair enough"

:confused::confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Burak has 2 left feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good man Drogba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Juventus out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lol, you're the one who wanted the match awarded to Juventus without actually being played, so to suddenly be moaning about fairness is sad.

Everyone can ask themselves: "if this happened to my team, would I really REALLY feel like the conditions were good for a match to go on, and if the result represents being better in football as we know it" and "is it, in this case, justifiable to complain". But of course, just go on with "at least we got the LOLZ"

Lol, you're the one who wanted the match awarded to Juventus without actually being played, so to suddenly be moaning about fairness is sad.
    I said IF the game cannot be played properly. As a priority, I wanted the match to be played, properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Snowblind, why the rage?

Have Juventus cost you money or something?

:confused:

Two sides of the pitch:
    BbNZ7SKIIAAKPbT.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Snowblind, why the rage?

Hes a Juve fan.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Snowblind, why the rage?

Rage? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everyone can ask themselves: "if this happened to my team, would I really REALLY feel like the conditions were good for a match to go on, and if the result represents being better in football as we know it" and "is it, in this case, justifiable to complain". But of course, just go on with "at least we got the LOLZ"
    I said IF the game cannot be played properly. As a priority, I wanted the match to be played, properly.

Priority will ALWAYS be to replay or finish the game. It's not the first time a game has been ssupended or postponed until the day after and I've seen much worse pitches in top competitions.

The conditions are going to be adverse in Brazil for the world cup - should the teams from colder climates kick up a fuss?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

BbNCNHYCQAEmCkV.jpg:large

Was the pitch in better conditions than this at KO time. Pity Juve are out but their inabilty to punish teams when they are on top came back to haunt them. Should of beaten Copenhagen away & Real at home tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Honestly, that game should have been abandoned. Having said that, Juventus just didn't play well at all despite the conditions. It's a bit mad that no Italian team might make it to the knockouts. Has that ever happened before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Juventus fairly made a balls of that group.

Milan is going to go to 2nd round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Juventus fairly made a balls of that group.

In fairness it was a tough enough group. Real one of the best teams in Europe, Galatasaray are a very strong team they reached the quarters last year. Copenhagen would be the weakest team in that group but they arent that weak and can be a dangerous team to play against.

Priority will ALWAYS be to replay or finish the game. It's not the first time a game has been ssupended or postponed until the day after and I've seen much worse pitches in top competitions.

The conditions are going to be adverse in Brazil for the world cup - should the teams from colder climates kick up a fuss?
    The conditions were better yesterday. The motivation for postponing is to play in BETTER conditions. This time the resulting conditions were not even, with unpredictable results. I know this is because the pressure to replay ASAP is huge and there are no other options - draw for knockouts is on Monday, league games over the weekend. But if Galatasaray are found inept at making the conditions better (under pitch heating not working, tractor making a huge mess), a visitor fan cannot be happy.

Brazil is different - teams will have a long long time to prepare, and the conditions will be same for both teams. The pitch today was partially unpassable and the ways of the ball became totally unpredictable. In extreme heat and humidity, it is different. Vision and passing ability are not affected, the teams will just have to prepare for the overall conditions with fitness training etc. Completely different situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For what it worth, I don't think its a great idea that the home side knows they are going to be playing into one end for 45 minutes and the other end for just 10 minutes, as it does theoretically allow the groundsman to set the pitch different at each end.

Back when I were a lad I think the rule was the full 90 had to replayed if the game wasn't completed on the day, but this is open to abuse as well (0-2 down after 85 minutes, floodlight failure etc).

Fairest maybe on occasions like today is to have a coin re-toss, so nether team actually knows which end they'll be attacking for the larger portion of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

There's no doubt the pitch was deliberately compromised, but Juventus did themselves no favours early in the competition and by trying to play football in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Woohoo, hon the Turks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Juventus f**ked it up by getting only 6 points in the 5 games. That is just dreadful considering they are currently top of the Serie A. Nobody to blame but themselves.

• Advertisement

Yeah you are right that they have themselves to blame for not qualifying earlier. But there are 6 matches and the last one counts for points too. And the sixth one was a mess.

Advertisement