Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

snowblind wrote: »
    Heh, I guess it's fine for you as you loved the result!

For me, whatever the result, the match was not football. That one side of the one half of a pitch that was trampled made passing impossible. Passing is an important part of football. It would have been barely football even without the tractor course.

The fact that UEFA agreed the game to go on is not "rules". It is UEFA making a bad decision. And you are saying that because UEFA is boss, they should not be criticized?

Nah, we both have a right to criticize...especially when it is UEFA or FIFA
    If it was 0-0 I would say the same anyway. Me being a fan of Sneijder has nothing to do with it or the score.
    I think we explained ourselves, agreed to disagree and appreciate being polite, and respect each others opinions. Looking forward for tonight - 3 teams in Arsenal group are in chance. Do not expect BVB to loose, and Arsenal to loose by 3 goals, but you never know.
    Enjoy the games lads, and - hopefully - the wheather won't come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm happy anyway, I'd much rather play Galatasray than Juventus in the Last 16.

I wouldn't. They lost like 10-2 in the 2 games vs Real. They'll get well beaten in the last 16 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Hopefully, Ajax knocks out Milan but Milan will probably go through. Referee in the first game gave Milan an undeserving penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mancini:

“I think it was difficult to play with the ball on the ground and maybe it would have been better not to play as I said before the match,” he told Sky Sport after the match.

“Then the match was open and we deserved to win because we were more aggressive in the second half.

“It was impossible to play last night due to the ice that formed on the pitch and nobody wanted to play. For me, it wasn’t right to play today either.

“After the first half it was impossible to suspend the match but I agree with [Antonio] Conte as it was close to, if not, impossible to play and it was no longer a game of football."

Marginally related but the Ajax youth team refused to play the Milan primavera team today in the UEFA Youth League despite the ref ruling the pitch as being playable. Ajax said the pitch was too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

any idea how many goals dortmund need to win by to top the group if arsenal lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

any idea how many goals dortmund need to win by to top the group if arsenal lose

Does it go totally on score difference?

If Arsenal lose ad Dortmund win, then Dortmund would top the group even if they were both 1-0's as there's only 1 goal difference between them.

Correct me if I'm wrong there anybody but I'd imagine that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If Arsenal lose ad Dortmund win, then Dortmund would top the group even if they were both 1-0's as there's only 1 goal difference between them.

If Arsenal lose and Dormund win, Dormund are top via two away goals in the Arsenal-Dortund ties as opposed to Arsenal's one. The acual scores tonight have no effect.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

think it does because bill was saying if arsenal lose by 3 and then napoli are through

• Advertisement

Who knew bringing in Bonera and Constant wouldn't improve our defense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Milan is really having worst defense line in last decade or two....

Milan is really having worst defense line in last decade or two....

Montolivo sent off now, fücking gobshíte.
    Where is Newman to say nice game pretty boy.

tackle for jail ! deserved red card

C'mon you Ajax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neymar hattrick, 5 nil.

same boring as Milan-Ajax...

• Advertisement

Crazy russians,when they saw Atletico is leading against Porto on HT,they let Vienna demolish them in 2nd half....

Nervy end to the Arsenal match now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Dortmund score do Arsenal go out or something?

If Dortmund win and Napoli win by 3 then Arsenal are out.

That was a highly intelligent move by Arteta to get himself sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nope. Arsenal have to lose 3-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Napoli stupidity costing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Well, like Shakhar last night, they were very wasteful. It shouldn't have taken until Higuain's goal to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hey, yup! Why not just go for it? Mad group....Dortmund went from going into the Europa to winning the group in the last 15 mins :eek:

Tonights Games
    Group E
    FC Schalke 04 (GER) 2 V 0 FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
    Chelsea FC (ENG) 1 V 0 FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)

Group F
    SSC Napoli (ITA) 2 V 0 Arsenal FC (ENG)
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 1 V 2 Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Group G
    FK Austria Wien (AUT) 4 V 1 FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 2 V 0 FC Porto (POR)

Group H
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 6 V 1 Celtic FC (SCO)
    AC Milan (ITA) 0 V 0 AFC Ajax (NED)

Seeds
    Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA)
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Chelsea FC (ENG)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)

Unseeded
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    Galatasaray AŞ (TUR)
    Olympiacos FC (GRE)
    Manchester City FC (ENG)
    FC Schalke 04 (GER)
    Arsenal FC (ENG)
    FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
    AC Milan (ITA)

Europa League
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Juventus (ITA)
    SL Benfica (POR)
    FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
    SSC Napoli (ITA)
    FC Porto (POR)
    AFC Ajax (NED)

Seeded:
    Atlético Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Chelsea
    Manchester United
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Real Madrid

Unseeded:
    AC Milan
    Arsenal
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Galatasaray
    Manchester City
    Olympiacos
    Schalke 04
    Zenit St. Petersburg

Costly loss for Arsenal tonight.

Well, like Shakhar last night, they were very wasteful. It shouldn't have taken until Higuain's goal to score.

But there was a spell of 10 mins after they scored where they did not try hoping the other game would finish 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

But there was a spell of 10 mins after they scored where they did not try hoping the other game would finish 1-1
    Aye, I assume they were only following orders though. Being a Liverpool fan, it did remind me of the bizarre nature of Rafa's tactics at times.

Seeded:
    Atlético Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Chelsea
    Manchester United
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Real Madrid

Unseeded:
    AC Milan
    Arsenal
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Galatasaray
    Manchester City
    Olympiacos
    Schalke 04
    Zenit St. Petersburg

Costly loss for Arsenal tonight.

A lot of those unseeded teams are quite poor. Not surprised Arsenal lost tonite, unlucky for Napoli to not go through.

GTR63 wrote: »
    A lot of those unseeded teams are quite poor. Not surprised Arsenal lost tonite, unlucky for Napoli to not go through.

It's as close to my opinion of the best teams. Only ones I would maybe swap would be Atletico for Milan or Arsenal.
    Arsenal's shambles tonight means they went from facing one of Milan, Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiacos or Schalke to one of Atletico, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Must be sickening for Napoli, 12 points and still out.

Meanwhile Zenit have 6 and qualify.

edit:

d84ac6e90703672c9f361cf5235bdb43d65e47be.jpeg

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's as close to my opinion of the best teams. Only ones I would maybe swap would be Atletico for Milan or Arsenal.
    Arsenal's shambles tonight means they went from facing one of Milan, Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiacos or Schalke to one of Atletico, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid.
    Dunno what Milan you've been watching, Atletico are at least twice as good.

CSF wrote: »
    Dunno what Milan you've been watching, Atletico are at least twice as good.

And Arsenal are the best team in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

With the amount of coverage of Champions League football I think a lot of people have forgotten that it's a cup competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nah. I'd wait until they've been tested a bit better before saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I felt a bit like last season against Malaga, tbh :rolleyes:

All those wasted chances, sick of that...but at least, luck was on Dortmund's side. I hope, we don't get Galatasaray :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nah. I'd wait until they've been tested a bit better before saying that.
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K4t wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
    Yeah, I didn't read anything before that comment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

How can people here be so blaisè about what looks to be clear overnight manipulation of one half of the pitch in Galatasaray's favour? :confused:
    Falling back on the 'well Juve have themselves to blame' idea is weak, as every legitimate way of accumulating enough points to reach the second round is as good as the next.
    If this happened to say, Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal or one of our beloved PL teams I'd imagine the same people would be singing a completely different tune.
    It appears to be nothing other than outright sabotage of the pitch as far as I can see, and should be looked into by UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How can people here be so blaisè about what looks to be clear overnight manipulation of one half of the pitch in Galatasaray's favour? :confused:
    Falling back on the 'well Juve have themselves to blame' idea is weak, as every legitimate way of accumulating enough points to reach the second round is as good as the next.
    If this happened to say, Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal or one of our beloved PL teams I'd imagine the same people would be singing a completely different tune.
    It appears to be nothing other than outright sabotage of the pitch as far as I can see, and should be looked into by UEFA.

Where's that image? I had it somehere... hang on... oh yeah....

11375d1325244221-consulting-website-oh-no___-not-sh1t-again.jpeg

**** it... didn;t work... editing....

EDIT - nope it;s not workin....

EDIT 2 - bingo :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was at the Austria-Zenit game tonight, good soccer game to watch but it was almost ruined by some Zenit scum throwing flares and fireworks at us. There really needs to be more punishment for clubs that have these elements in them until they are gotten rid of for good.

A good photo from the game

781561_w940h500q75v19489_export_3212153_6352.jpg?version=1386796571

You'd wonder what sort of scum these guys are that they could throw fireworks at little kids. Of course in UEFA's moral system that'll probably just be a 20k fine :rolleyes:

More here
    link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jesus Christ.

It's about time the book gets thrown at these Russians clubs.

This sort of **** keeps happening and no stadium bans will resolve it.

Russian clubs should be banned from European competition until these sort of **** stops.

It's also worth pointing out that the section we were in that they were throwing stuff at was about half full of Zenit supporters, mostly russians living in vienna, you can see blue scarves on some of the kids in the photo

Atletico is going to be this year's Dortmund i feel,they are on fire playing damn good season and i am really looking forward to next phase of CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because most of us will never ever have any sympathy with that disgrace of a football club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

AdamD wrote: »
    Because most of us will never ever have any sympathy with that disgrace of a football club
    Please, tell us more of the disgrace? Them not being a Premier League team?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Seriously?

Atletico are there on absolute merit and are certainly in the top 8 teams in Europe at the moment. They've drawn 2 and lost 1 all season in all competitions!

No one will want to face them.

Milan on the other hand seem to be a shadow of their former selves judging by their recent results and nowhere near the quality of the top 8.

Arsenal vs Atleti would be a great game, I'd love to see it. 2 pretty evenly matched teams with two completely contrasting styles and two great managers with different philosophies.

Would be a superb, intriguing and entertaining tie imo, and a really good barometer for both teams to test where they are after surprising a lot of people this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Italian football in crisis again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

People really love throwing that word crisis around, huh?

I wonder when italians werent in crisis? in 90's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement