Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

14 goals in 22 games for Bale with 10 assists. Great stats, especially when you consider he's only had 15 starts.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm still in shock that Huntelaar scored from outside of the box tbh.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

DazMarz wrote: »
    Well, needless to say, Huntelaar got about 11/10 for his effort. Jesus. What a strike!
    I was in the pub and looked up at the TV maybe twice for the whole game, only watched about 40 seconds of it in total... and yet I saw that goal. I got value for money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All 1st leg scores
    Manchester City FC (ENG) 0 V 2 FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Olympiacos FC (GRE) 2 V 0 Manchester United FC (ENG)
    AC Milan (ITA) 0 V 1 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 0 V 4 Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA)
    Galatasaray AŞ (TUR) 1 V 1 Chelsea FC (ENG)
    FC Schalke 04 (GER) 1 V 6 Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) 2 V 4 Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Arsenal FC (ENG) 0 V 2 FC Bayern München (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Only tie that's still in the balance really is the Chelsea one. Not that the others are definitely over, but there's a team with a substantial advantage in each one. Athletico have the home game to come, Barcelona, Bayern, Real, PSG, Dortmund are as good as through, and Olympiacos are in a commanding position.

One each of English, Greek and French, three Spanish, two German teams.

The weakness of Serie A these days is very surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Only tie that's still in the balance really is the Chelsea one. Not that the others are definitely over, but there's a team with a substantial advantage in each one. Athletico have the home game to come, Barcelona, Bayern, Real, PSG, Dortmund are as good as through, and Olympiacos are in a commanding position.

I think the Utd one is still in the balance tbh, don't think Olympiacos are great travellers so an early goal and they may crumble.

Even so there are gonna be some cracking quarter final ties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

It did loom after the draw that the 8 top seeds would all go through to be fair, United seem set to spoil that though. Napoli were unlucky in not getting through in the group with 12 points.

Would expect one of Napoli or Juventus to lift the Europa but represented italy poorly in the CL. Premiership not looking as strong as people make it out to be at all with 3 English sides beaten comfortably in the last 16, City and Arsenal at home and United against the worst team left in the competition. Schalke and Leverkusen letting down Germany big time getting hammered at home. PSG are the only powerhouse in France and have a reasonable chance at going all the way. The Spanish sides showing yet again why La Liga is the highest ranked league in the world.

Between Munich, Madrid and PSG for me - in that order of likeliness.

Tonights fixtures
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 1-0)
    FC Bayern München (GER) V Arsenal FC (ENG) (Agg 2-0)

Tomorrow nights fixtures
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 2-0)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 4-0)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Tonights fixtures
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 1-0)
    FC Bayern München (GER) V Arsenal FC (ENG) (Agg 2-0)

Tomorrow nights fixtures
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 2-0)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 4-0)

There won't be any surprises. Munich, Barca, Paris, Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There won't be any surprises. Munich, Barca, Paris, Madrid

IF there is going to be a surprise it will be in the Madrid / Milan game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Barcelona have also fallen flat in the last 2 games. They need to be better in order to withstand an angry City.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yes I agree. This is the only game I could see the team behind, coming back to win it. The gap between them is only a goal and Milan are a dangerous team at home in the San Siro.

I'll still go with Madrid to go through, But the Italians are not to be taken lightly. They will not back down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes I agree. This is the only game I could see the team behind, coming back to win it. The gap between them is only a goal and Milan are a dangerous team at home in the San Siro.

Milan already lost at the San Siro, this leg is in Madrid. Wouldn't give Milan much a chance normally, but they are a bit better in Europe. Still unlikely.

Milan already lost at the San Siro, this leg is in Madrid. Wouldn't give Milan much a chance normally, but they are a bit better in Europe. Still unlikely.
    Oh sorry, my mistake. Still Milan are a proud team, European giants. Madrid are relative novices at the level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

miralize wrote: »
    Barcelona have also fallen flat in the last 2 games. They need to be better in order to withstand an angry City.

That's the question which hangs over clubs like City though. What with 10 new players and a manager every year and being a gravy train employment is there ever going to be enough team spirit and identity in such 'fabricated' teams to actually be angry? Does the team really care enough to be angry?
    I have no doubt Vincent Kompany cares but the team?
    I have my doubts tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Boskowski wrote: »
    That's the question which hangs over clubs like City though. What with 10 new players and a manager every year and being a gravy train employment is there ever going to be enough team spirit and identity in such 'fabricated' teams to actually be angry? Does the team really care enough to be angry?
    I have no doubt Vincent Kompany cares but the team?
    I have my doubts tbh.

Mancini was with City since '09 and it was probably a time for a change. 10 new players?

I don;t think you know much about City at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

karma_ wrote: »
    Mancini was with City since '09 and it was probably a time for a change. 10 new players?

I don;t think you know much about City at all.

Admittedly I don't. Would you agree that assembling high net individuals from all over the planet in a relatively highly fluctuating environment doesn't exactly make for natural team spirit? City does have that badge of being an assembled even fabricated team. Would you say there is nothing at all in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Nah Atletico aren`t great at the minute but its a poor Milan team who have failed every hard test under Seedorf so far. Can see a 3-1 home win. Expect Bayern to beat Arsenal too tonight after the scare last year against them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Boskowski wrote: »
    Admittedly I don't. Would you agree that assembling high net individuals from all over the planet in a relatively highly fluctuating environment doesn't exactly make for natural team spirit? City does have that badge of being an assembled even fabricated team. Would you say there is nothing at all in that?

I don't agree in this case. A team with no fighting spirit would not comeback from 2-1 down to win the league title, they would not comeback from 2-0 down and score 4 goals in 20 minutes in an FA cup tie. I do agree that can be a concern with a quickly assembled team but City have been settled for sometime now and I think it's an unfair assessment to make that argument. Big teams of which City now are can and do have poor results from time to time and a new manager can take time to make his mark but I like Pellegrini and for the most part *(Demichelis) I think he's doing a good job.

2nd Leg results

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 4 V 1 AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 5-1)
    FC Bayern München (GER) 1 V 1 Arsenal FC (ENG) (Agg 3-1)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 1 Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 4-1)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 2 V 1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 6-1)

Into Quarter Finals
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

2nd Leg results

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 4 V 1 AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 5-1)
    FC Bayern München (GER) 1 V 1 Arsenal FC (ENG) (Agg 3-1)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 1 Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 4-1)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 2 V 1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 6-1)

Into Quarter Finals
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)

Only for ya ;) :pac:

Tonights Games
    Chelsea FC (ENG) V Galatasaray AŞ (TUR) (Agg 1-1)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V FC Schalke 04 (GER) (Agg 6-1)

Tomorrow's Games
    Manchester United FC (ENG) V Olympiacos FC (GRE) (Agg 0-2)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) V FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) (Agg 4-2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drogba to shock Chelsea
    Real to play 2nd string and get a scare on the night but go through anyway
    Dortmund to win
    Olympiacos to draw and go through

I think Chelsea will advance.

Obviously Madrid.

I think United will fall short. They probably will win this game but lose the tie

Dortmund should finish off Zenit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If United concede they will most likely go out. I don't think this side have it in them to score four goals against an organised side. Think the only thing in their favour is the greek side will likely get nervous as the game goes on and will lose their shape a little.

Chelsea FC (ENG) 2 V 0 Galatasaray AŞ (TUR) (Agg 3-1)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) 3 V 1 FC Schalke 04 (GER) (Agg 9-2)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) 3 V 0 Olympiacos FC (GRE) (Agg 3-2)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 1 V 2 FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) (Agg 5-4)

Quarter Final Line up / Draw on Friday
    Chelsea FC (ENG)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    FC Barcelona (ESP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looking at that, I'd say the team they will all be hoping to draw will be United. Weakest team left imo.

Looking at that, I'd say the team they will all be hoping to draw will be United. Weakest team left imo.

All group winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Obviously everybody will look to draw us. Out of the teams left I'd probably prefer Dortmund or Atletico. Atletico would still beat us I'd say

• Advertisement

Dortmund, Man U and possibly Atletico all assuming current form look the desirables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jernal wrote: »
    Dortmund, Man U and possibly Atletico all assuming current form look the desirables.

Real Madrid, Bayern etc would all fancy Chelsea too I'd say.

Red Crow wrote: »

Nobody will fancy Chelsea they most likely will be pragmatic and happily let others impose their playing style on them and strike in coherent counter attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Is this the first time that all of the group Winners have gone through to the Quarter finals?

Draw is going to be brilliant: Top 3 from Spain, Top 2 from Germany, Top team in France, Top team in England.........and United

My dream draw:

Dortmund - Bayern.
    Real - Barca
    PSG - Chelsea
    Man Utd -Atletico

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Would love to see:

Chelsea/Real (hasn't happened yet and the two most successful Chelsea managers head to head)

Barca/PSG (rematch of last year, how far have PSG come along)

Bayern/Atletico (very interesting matchup and football would be excellent to watch)

Dortmund/Utd (Only side i can see Utd having a chance with given Dortmund's lack of consistency, injury problems and squad depth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Red Crow wrote: »

Highly doubt that. Noone wants any part of Mourinho or that squad over two legs. Whatever about their quality or form, it's a hard nosed bunch of winners with form in this very tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jernal wrote: »
    My dream draw:

Dortmund - Bayern.
    Real - Barca
    PSG - Chelsea
    Man Utd -Atletico

:D

Nooo, anything but another bleedin Clasico.

Nooo, anything but another bleedin Clasico.

4 in a month that would be, i wouldn't be able for another month long Clasico circle jerk and 4 straight matches of imaginary card waving, diving and hounding of refs.

Chelsea/Real - let's see that one. It's not happened before. Bayern/Real at this stage would be mouthwatering too.

spiralism wrote: »
    Would love to see:

Chelsea/Real (hasn't happened yet and the two most successful Chelsea managers head to head)

Barca/PSG (rematch of last year, how far have PSG come along)

Bayern/Atletico (very interesting matchup and football would be excellent to watch)

Dortmund/Utd (Only side i can see Utd having a chance with given Dortmund's lack of consistency, injury problems and squad depth)

Fingers crossed. I desperately wanted this last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fingers crossed. I desperately wanted this last year.

It would be a great game if United weren't so shít. But it's probably our best chance to get through, even if it is minuscule.

How do you think United would match up if at all? I've only really watched a handful of games this season of Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea and United will be drawn against each other.

Chelsea/United
    Barca/Dortmund
    Real/PSG
    Bayern/Atletico

It would be a great game if United weren't so shít. But it's probably our best chance to get through, even if it is minuscule.

How do you think United would match up if at all? I've only really watched a handful of games this season of Dortmund.

I'm not really sure tbh. If this was under Fergie, I'd expect him to set you's up to soak up pressure and counter attack the bejaysus out of us in Germany, United would get some joy doing that, especially given all our injury woes which I went into detail somewhat in the Bundesliga thread yesterday. We're basically missing a third of our strongest starting XI till the end of the season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Any suspensions for the first legs? I know Evra and Lewandowski are out of the first legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Think Utd will get Dortmund or Atletico Madrid.

With the amount of injuries Dortmund have, Utd might cause an upset.

Kinda depends which Dortmund show up from what i've seen of them this year. They press very hard which is well known but have had a tendency under Klopp to wear out in the last 30 minutes or so as the players are knackered. Given how badly we finish games under Moyes it's at least one weakness cancelled out against another. They are also missing a lot of important players: Subotic, Bender, Blasczykowski and Gundogan will all miss the next tie and Lewandowski will miss the first leg.

They've looked great in some games this year but also limped to bad defeats such as an absolute pasting at home by Bayern, losing 3-0 away to relegation threatened Hamburg, and losing at home to Monchengladbach, Berlin and Leverkusen. Their record in big games this year is so-so tbh, @ Arsenal and @ Schalke being the best two results but on the flipside Arsenal also beat them in the return fixture. A good deal of this can be attributed to a very thin squad. This coupled with a ton of injuries and a very high intensity game plan contributes a lot to their inconsistency. One thing though and it's a problem that let them down last year as well is that their finishing is often subpar so they sometimes don't take advantage when on top and are vulnerable if not ahead after 60 minutes as seen when they played Arsenal at home.

Quarter Finals

FC Barcelona (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) V Chelsea FC (ENG)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Quarter Finals

FC Barcelona (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) V Chelsea FC (ENG)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Well at least we wont be dicked on by Bayern first this year!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Bayern will still get through, but I don't think it'll be as comfortable as a lot seem to think. It'll be something like 4-2 on aggregate I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Anyone know when the semi draw will be. I though they did these things the same day as the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

UEFA will love that draw.

Big 3 seperated, and then a kind of 'lets see who the 4th best team in Europe is' clash between PSG and Chelsea.

Makes for less interesting QFs, but should make for mouth-watering SFs if all goes to form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement