Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Iang87 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the semi draw will be. I though they did these things the same day as the quarters

Semi final draw is on Friday April 11th

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Happy with BVB's draw. Better we go in completely as underdogs, less pressure and as we've seen in the past, we usually perform well.

Barcelona Athletico the pick of the draws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Barcelona Athletico the pick of the draws

I think that's by far the least interesting draw, they've played each other 3 times this season, 2 0-0s and a 1-1. Plus they're from the same country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Happy with BVB's draw. Better we go in completely as underdogs, less pressure and as we've seen in the past, we usually perform well.

Any players returning from injury before the tie ?

TheNap wrote: »
    Any players returning from injury before the tie ?

Reus will be fit I imagine, but other than that.. nope. Majority of players out atm are out till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Say a prayer from Utd. The team with no midfield versus a team managed by a manager who's core philosophy is to dominate the midfield and lay siege to your opponent. Utd will be need to improve vastly in the interim.

I think this is as far as Dortmund are going to get this season. Their squad is too depleted with injuries. A shock may be on cards but I think all the advantages are with Real.
    I think that's by far the least interesting draw, they've played each other 3 times this season, 2 0-0s and a 1-1. Plus they're from the same country.

They may have drawn but the game's were fascinating viewing. Barca were terrified of Atletico's counters. Atletico were terrified of allowing Barca space in behind them. My fear for Atletico is that right now they're dipping in form like Dortmund because their game requires a massive physical exertion and like Dortmund they're lack of squad is showing. That said, Atletico in the Calderon will fancy their chances against Barcelona.

Barca/Atleti and Chelsea/PSG are probably the least predictably ties. On paper you'd have to fancy Barca and PSG but the comparisons are interesting. Chelsea and Atleti will adopt a similar style and their organisation has the potential to frustrate any team. PSG will be very wary about Chelsea and Chelsea, being seen as underdogs, will have no fear of PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jernal wrote: »
    Say a prayer from Utd. The team with no midfield versus a team managed by a manager who's core philosophy is to dominate the midfield and lay siege to your opponent. Utd will be need to improve vastly in the interim.

I think this is as far as Dortmund are going to get this season. Their squad is too depleted with injuries. A shock may be on cards but I think all the advantages are with Real.

They may have drawn but the game's were fascinating viewing. Barca were terrified of Atletico's counters. Atletico were terrified of allowing Barca space in behind them. My fear for Atletico is that right now they're dipping in form like Dortmund because their game requires a massive physical exertion and like Dortmund they're lack of squad is showing. That said, Atletico in the Calderon will fancy their chances against Barcelona.

Barca/Atleti and Chelsea/PSG are probably the least predictably ties. On paper you'd have to fancy Barca and PSG but the comparisons are interesting. Chelsea and Atleti will adopt a similar style and their organisation has the potential to frustrate any team. PSG will be very wary about Chelsea and Chelsea, being seen as underdogs, will have no fear of PSG.

Should Chelsea really be seen as underdogs? Their squad is at least as expensively assembled and they gave more recent pedigree in the competition than PSG. Plus Mourinho has a ton of experience at this stage of the competition, which can count for a lot such is the importance of game management due to the swings of away goals.

For me it's the only tie that doesn't have a clear favorite and I'd find it hard to back a winner

Morzadec wrote: »
    Should Chelsea really be seen as underdogs? Their squad is at least as expensively assembled and they gave more recent pedigree in the competition than PSG. Plus Mourinho has a ton of experience at this stage of the competition, which can count for a lot such is the importance of game management due to the swings of away goals.

For me it's the only tie that doesn't have a clear favorite and I'd find it hard to back a winner

Their squad is expensively assembled, just not as pristine as PSG's is but I don't really think they're underdogs. Sorry, I didn't make this clearer the perception will be that Chelsea are underdogs. The British media will regard them as underdogs and Mourinho will heavily play up that aspect of it.

• Advertisement

Its the best matched draw though imo. Wouldn't be surprised whoever won.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Its the best matched draw though imo. Wouldn't be surprised whoever won.

That's true (well maybe PSG-Chelsea would be similar). I'm just not a fan of seeing a match I've already seen 3 times this season.

That's true (well maybe PSG-Chelsea would be similar). I'm just not a fan of seeing a match I've already seen 3 times this season.

It's better than seeing El Clasico for the millionth time.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It's better than seeing El Clasico for the millionth time.

Absolutely, but this is the next worst thing for me.

Tonights games

FC Barcelona (ESP) 1 V 1 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) 1 V 1 FC Bayern München (GER)

Tomorrow nights games
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) 3 V 0 Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 3 V 1 Chelsea FC (ENG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tonights games

FC Barcelona (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Tomorrow nights games
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) V Chelsea FC (ENG)

So awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Looks like Diego Costa may be out of tonight's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

SantryRed wrote: »
    Looks like Diego Costa may be out of tonight's game.

Marcelo could be out of the real game too. Will be interesting to see who dortmund start up front that lewa is suspended. Surely not schiber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Madrid 1-0 up already, nice goal from Bale.

One way traffic so far, Dortmund can't get near the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

One way traffic so far, Dortmund can't get near the ball.

Borussia all over the place so far, but I didn't expect something different, tbh :(

• Advertisement

FFS :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's a very changed (read weaker) Dortmund side from a year ago.
    Costs to put together tonight's Champions League squads:
    PSG €366m
    Chelsea €376m;
    Real Madrid €536m
    BDortmund $99m.
    — sportingintelligence (@sportingintel)

That's a farce now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lovely footwork from Ronaldo

Julian Schieber on the pitch now...

If nothing else helps :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lars1916 wrote: »
    That's a farce now :mad:

Your goalkeeper had a tremendous game by the looks of things.

Tonights games
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 2 V 0 Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 2-3)
    Chelsea FC (ENG) 2 V 0 Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) (Agg 3-3) Chelsea FC (ENG) win on away goals

Tomorrows games
    FC Bayern München (GER) 3 V 1 Manchester United FC (ENG) (Agg 4-2)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 1 V 0 FC Barcelona (ESP) (Agg 2-1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Pretty interesting so far with the 2 sides who lost last week leading at half tie. Chelsea 1-0 up and Dortmund 2-0 up with Madrid missing a peno at the start of the game. Madrid have actually gone to pieces. Expect to see Ronaldo brought on at half-time. Reus is having a stormer.

Madrid are in bits. Psg were very comfortable in the game. Chelsea got goal from nothing.

How vital will Benzema slip and di Maria penalty miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Massive decision there Alonso should be off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Only been watching since half time, Modric is immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Miki can't score jaysus

Madrid got out of jail. Dortmund deserved extra time.

Jernal wrote: »
    Madrid got out of jail. Dortmund deserved extra time.

2 minutes of extra time were a joke, imo. Time wasting as usual :mad:

But then, Borussia missing too many chances again, it's always two sides of a coin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

2 of the worst ties in champions league history tonight on Duff and Kerr on tv3.

Chelsea deservedly through, Dortmund somewhat undeservedly out. Great night's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Just watching the highlights of the Dortmund Real game now. Jesus, Mkhitaryan missed 3 absolute sitters.
    Can't believe Dortmund didn't at least get to extra time. They probably deserved to go through 4-3 on aggregate.
    Real Madrid just seem to have a mental block about playing in Germany*.

* except against Schalke (but that doesn't count because they're shíte)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Can't find a "Europa League" thread so i just ask here :)
    Would anybody know where can I find a free online stream for Juve-Lyon tonight? I will be away from home and won't be able to go to the pub, so only way I can watch it is online :( ....any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

TripleAce wrote: »
    Can't find a "Europa League" thread so i just ask here :)
    Would anybody know where can I find a free online stream for Juve-Lyon tonight? I will be away from home and won't be able to go to the pub, so only way I can watch it is online :( ....any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.

Its on tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

3e have a live stream i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Carroller wrote: »
    Its on tomorrow.

yep, I meant tomorrow, sorry :)

Semi Finalist

Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Chelsea FC (ENG)
    FC Bayern München (GER)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Desired Draw:

Chelsea : Real Madrid.
    Bayern Munich: Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Champions League Semi Final Draw;

The draw starts at 11am, with British Eurosport providing live coverage in the UK. Click here to watch the draw live online, via UEFA's official website.

Overview

Bayern, Real and their arch rivals and neighbours Atletico Madrid, along with last year's Europa League winners Chelsea made it to the semi-final of this season's Champions League.

The semi-final draw will be open and no teams are seeded. A team can face another team from the same association.

The side drawn first will play the first leg at home. The first leg of the semi-final clash will be played on 22/23 April, with the return leg being played a week later on 29/30 of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Semi Final Draw

Real Madrid(Esp) v Bayern Munich(Ger)

Atletico Madrid(Esp) v Chelsea(Eng)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Semi Final Draw

Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea

Mixed feelings for Athletico I'd say. On the one hand, they've the easiest possible draw, but on the other, they won't have their keeper.

• Advertisement

Mixed feelings for Athletico I'd say. On the one hand, they've the easiest possible draw, but on the other, they won't have their keeper.

UEFA say he can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

UEFA say he can play.

Without having to pay the fee?

That sounds unreasonable. Why have contracts then if UEFA will just overrule them?

Semi Finals
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER)
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Chelsea FC (ENG)

Final
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) / FC Bayern München (GER) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) / Chelsea FC (ENG)

Without having to pay the fee?

That sounds unreasonable. Why have contracts then if UEFA will just overrule them?

UEFA are saying it would be against the rules, I'm not sure what rules they are???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

UEFA are saying it would be against the rules, I'm not sure what rules they are???

Here's the statement
    http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/administration/news/newsid=2088774.html

Basically the rule is that a club can't influence who plays for another club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement