Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 Uefa Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He wont play. UEFA wont want to get bogged down in court and you can be 100% sure that Chelsea will contest it in court. Chelsea drew up a contract, Madrid agreed to it and signed it. It's legally binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kirby wrote: »
    He wont play. UEFA wont want to get bogged down in court and you can be 100% sure that Chelsea will contest it in court. Chelsea drew up a contract, Madrid agreed to it and signed it. It's legally binding.

Could they not go down the "my gaff, my rules" road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

That's not exactly true. Some things you cannot put in contracts, and if you do they are unenforceable. This might be one such.

Without knowing the relevant laws and regulations, you can't really say it's legally binding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Atletico want him back next season too, so may not risk the wrath of Chelsea by playing him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

retalivity wrote: »
    Atletico want him back next season too, so may not risk the wrath of Chelsea by playing him anyway

Chelsea also really want Diego Costa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Real Vs Bayern
    Atleti Vs Chelski

Real Vs Bayern
    Atleti Vs Chelski

Bit late to the party :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Bit late to the party :pac:

haha WTF. I thought it was a 12:00 draw. I just saw on twitter :o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

UEFA have shown in the past they don't give a f*ck about courts. Also, who will give a verdict so fast that it's done and dusted before the games ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

haha WTF. I thought it was a 12:00 draw. I just saw on twitter :o:o:o:o

12CET which is 11am our time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two brilliant ties in store. Ideal for Chelsea to have the first leg away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two brilliant ties in store. Ideal for Chelsea to have the first leg away.

I don't think the first leg will be away, as Real Madrid are playing at home first on the Tuesday. To have Atletico play at home the next day breaches UEFAs rules.

I don't think the first leg will be away, as Real Madrid are playing at home first on the Tuesday. To have Atletico play at home the next day breaches UEFAs rules.

Huh? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some cities and their relevant local authorities (e.g., Milan for definite) don't allow more than one midweek game per week. Madrid may be the same.

Chelsea will play at home first, as I understand it.

Some cities and their relevant local authorities (e.g., Milan for definite) don't allow more than one midweek game per week. Madrid may be the same.
    Chelsea will play at home first, as I understand it.

Interesting. But surely they should draw lots to decide which game gets moved, no?

Interesting. But surely they should draw lots to decide which game gets moved, no?

Nah Real came out first so they'll play at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He'll play if they can play him, they wont be worried about risking Chelsea's wrath. It's the semi final of the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Another Chelsea Bayern final maybe?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Atleti shouldn't worry about upsetting Chelsea whatsoever. A chance of achieving greatness is dangling in front of them.

They said during the draw that it was ok for the two Madrid team to play at home in the 1st leg

That maybe because the two Milan teams play in the same ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Tempted to place a bet that Chelsea don't score a goal in either leg. Bayern v Real is a pure 50/50 battle for me.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Tempted to place a bet that Chelsea don't score a goal in either leg.

The writing off of Chelsea yet again begins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

dsmythy wrote: »
    Tempted to place a bet that Chelsea don't score a goal in either leg. Bayern v Real is a pure 50/50 battle for me.

I think Bayern will suffocate them..hope they go at them the way Bayern did against Barca. it would then be end to end .

both semis have the potentioal to be ggod games all round

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That's not how contracts work. There can't be stipulations within contracts that breach the rules under which the contract is facilitated. If you look at employment contracts for example, someone can sign a contract saying they'll work for €3 per hour. This won't be legally binding though as it's unlawful.

UEFA control player registrations. It's their laws that stand here, regardless of what's written in the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That's not how contracts work. There can't be stipulations within contracts that breach the rules under which the contract is facilitated. If you look at employment contracts for example, someone can sign a contract saying they'll work for €3 per hour. This won't be legally binding though as it's unlawful.

UEFA control player registrations. It's their laws that stand here, regardless of what's written in the contract.

UEFA don't make laws though, they make rules, so what's in the contract is still legally binding despite breaching UEFA's rules. If Chelsea wanted to bring this to court I'm guessing they'd win unless it was somehow found unlawful in an EU court of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

But he could mean two 0-0 draws, two exciting one's at that.

It is possible with the way Atletico and Chelsea play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd wager that many soccer contracts if they were brought before the courts would be deemed illegal for many reasons. Doubt Chelsea would bring it to court.

It's a bet :confused:
    Not the craziest bet in the world either considering the ridiculous amount of clean sheets they keep.
    They have shut out Barca 3 times this season iirc.

• Advertisement

It's a bet :confused:
    Not the craziest bet in the world either considering the ridiculous amount of clean sheets they keep.
    They have shut out Barca 3 times this season iirc.

And I think it would be a bad bet, hence the post :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Disappointed with the draw. Would have loved to have seen:

Bayern-Atletico and Real-Chelsea.

Mourinho returning to Madrid would have been fantastic and then also getting to see how Simeone's tactics would work against Guardiola's tiki-taka style.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

UEFA don't make laws though, they make rules, so what's in the contract is still legally binding despite breaching UEFA's rules. If Chelsea wanted to bring this to court I'm guessing they'd win unless it was somehow found unlawful in an EU court of law.

Well UEFA can disqualify Chelsea from the competition if they decide to do that, or simply withdraw Courtois registration from them. UEFA'S rules are the only thing that matter here. Chelsea wouldn't even have time to challenge the rule.

I'm not sure Chelsea would win in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

And I think it would be a bad bet, hence the post :confused:

Can't say that unless you know the odds ;)

Can't say that unless you know the odds ;)

Yeah, yeah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wonder what they mean by sanctions. Platini/Blatter always gets their way, even if somebody has to be thrown underneath the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Athletico will win it this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good to see UEFA standing up to the big boys for once.

greendom wrote: »
    Good to see UEFA standing up to the big boys for once.

Typically lol reaction on here. Athletico signed a contract. Irrespective of UEFA's position on the matter, Athletico should honour their agreement. A man or institution are their word. If Athletico violate that agreement then it's another example of Spanish football plumbing the ethical depths.

Very typical of Latin men in my anecdotal experience too, but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why the heck should they? If Chelsea had something unethical in their contract and expect it to be upheld then they're the ones plumbing the unethical depth. It's like expecting a modern day slave who signed a contract to their master in Ireland to abide by that contract even the though the lack of wages and sanitary conditions that they agreed to were illegal in the first place. But slave is a man of his word and will continue to work in the cess pit for no money! :rolleyes:

Also, if somebody visited Ireland and was mugged by an Irish gang would it be fair of them to say that, Irish people, in their experience are dishonest thugs? Not really, those undertones of your last sentence about latin people are quite disturbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Typically lol reaction on here. Athletico signed a contract. Irrespective of UEFA's position on the matter, Athletico should honour their agreement. A man or institution are their word. If Athletico violate that agreement then it's another example of Spanish football plumbing the ethical depths.

Very typical of Latin men in my anecdotal experience too, but that's a different matter.

Sounds more like a feck up by whoever drew up the contract, inserting a clause that went against UEFA regulations.

And as for breaking contracts, Chelsea are hardly whiter than white... Gael Kakuta ring a bell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Athletico signed a contract. Irrespective of UEFA's position on the matter, Athletico should honour their agreement. A man or institution are their word. If Athletico violate that agreement then it's another example of Spanish football plumbing the ethical depths.

Meh, Chelsea inserted a clause which was clearly against UEFA rules (I called this yesterday) and also unlikely to stand up in any court. Its odds on that Athletico knew this but correctly played Chelsea for the suckers.

Chelsea displayed typical English arrogance thinking the thicko foreignors didn't have a clue and could be ordered about, a trait very typical of Englishmen in my anecdotal experience, but thats a different matter.

Meh, Chelsea inserted a clause which was clearly against UEFA rules (I called this yesterday) and also unlikely to stand up in any court. Its odds on that Athletico knew this but correctly played Chelsea for the suckers.

Chelsea displayed typical English arrogance thinking the thicko foreignors didn't have a clue and could be ordered about, a trait very typical of Englishmen in my anecdotal experience, but thats a different matter.

My observation was genuine at least.

People don't like Chelsea, think Athletico are magical - those observations shouldn't cloud the basics of honouring an agreement though. Carry on however, I know who I'll be rooting for in the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Alright lads, the Courtois clause is a bit dodgy which UEFA has overruled. We get it, no need for 20 posts all saying the same thing where it looks like ye're just arguing over each other! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

For those saying it a couple of pages ago, Chelsea are indeed at home second leg.

Tuesday Game
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Chelsea FC (ENG)

Wednesday Game
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Tuesday Game
    FC Bayern München (GER) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 0-1)

Wednesday Game
    Chelsea FC (ENG) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) (Agg 0-0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can't see anything but a Bayern win tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If Bayern are to win this tie, they're gonna need at least 3 goals. If Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema all start up top, I fancy Real to score twice.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Game
    FC Bayern München (GER) 0 V 4 Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 0-5)

Wednesday Game
    Chelsea FC (ENG) 1 V 3 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) (Agg 1-3)

Champions League Final
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Advertisement