Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No seatbelts on in friends car

Options
  • 24-06-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My child was over at her friends house to play a few weeks ago. Always felt comfortable leaving her there as they are a nice family.
    A couple of weeks back when we were in the car I was telling her to click on her seatbelt and she told me that the last time she was at her friends house she didn't have any seatbelt on her. When I asked her why she didn't ask the Mammy for help putting it on she said that she didn't like asking because none of them had seatbelts on (including a 2 yr old). I felt sick. Plus she was quite upset about it herself. I have her in a booster seat all the time as she's only 5.
    I haven't had the oppertunity to bring it up yet. How would I bring this up with the parents myself. I don't want to fall out with the parents but I don't want to let this go without saying something. It's my daughters best friend so I don't want to stop her from seeing her but at the same time I'm a bit worried about other aspects of safety if they don't even strap the kids into the car let alone have them in car seats. I'm not over reacting am I?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Remember children do not always repeat reality.
    Maybe start a conversation with her about high back boosters vs boosterseats and the safety impact or osmething on those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

...none of them had seatbelts on (including a 2 yr old)...

Is there no legal requirement to have a 2 year old secured in a proper child seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The rules on car seats are based on weight, not age. In a way it makes sense because two three year olds would have very different weights. But the best guidance comes from Sweden where the advice is to keep children rear facing in fixed car seats/bases until five/six years of age.

From citizens information:
    Children and seatbelts
    0-3 years
    Babies and children under 3 may not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in an appropriate child restraint. This requirement applies to all of the vehicles listed above, irrespective of when they were registered - as long as they are equipped with safety belts. (Again, a child restraint is a device designed for use by a child weighing 36 kg or less). The restraint is fitted directly to a suitable belt or is held in place by the action of a safety belt, which in turn restrains movement in the event of an accident or incident. An appropriate child restraint is one appropriate to the weight of the child. The weight range is indicated on the child restraint.

Rear facing child restraints must not be used in seats protected by an active frontal air-bag and child restraints must be in accordance with EU or UN standards.

3-17 years
    Children over 3 years of age may occupy a forward facing front seat of a vehicle only if they are using a safety belt or an appropriate child restraint. Otherwise, they must travel in a rear seat. Children under 150 centimetres in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion.

Passengers aged 3 years or over must wear safety belts where they are fitted, when travelling by bus.

A person aged 12 years or more who is under 150 cm in height is not required to use a seatbelt even if this is provided but they must use an appropriate child restraint when travelling in cars or goods vehicles fitted with safety belts. They are of course free to wear the belt but people under this height are outside the limits of the safety belt design parameters, so there is a possibility that a safety belt could be injurious to them in some circumstances. For this reason, the law allows them to choose for themselves to belt up or not to belt up. This is irrespective of whether they are sitting in the front or back of the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Were they driving somewhere, or just playing in the car?

My cousins leave their kids play in an old car in the garden. Wheels are gone, and seatbelts removed for strangulation risks. It's more of a playhouse than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

See here:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

Just tell your friend she's not allowed in a car without a seatbelt,

Honesty is the best policy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

pwurple wrote: »
    Were they driving somewhere, or just playing in the car?

My cousins leave their kids play in an old car in the garden. Wheels are gone, and seatbelts removed for strangulation risks. It's more of a playhouse than anything.

I would imagine it pretty safe to assume that it was a functional car and that it was moving. The OP's post would be pretty odd if not :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would imagine it pretty safe to assume that it was a functional car and that it was moving. The OP's post would be pretty odd if not :confused:

The OP doesn't know though. You can never be 100% sure of what a child means when they tell you something. My 5 year old nephew tells me he sees unicorns every day on the way to school. There is a painting of a unicorn on a wall nearby.

Plus, it's weird they they would go for a drive without consulting the OP first. He/she sounds like they would have offered a booster seat if they had known about it. Who takes someone elses child off in a car without permission?

I'd say it has to be crossed wires somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

I had something similar happen to my daughter last year. She was away with her friend, friends brother and mother. They were visiting the friends granny an hrs drive away. I only found out when they got back from my daughter that she was the only one who wore a seatbelt. She was 9 then so i trust she didn't make it up.

To make matters worse if the mother seen a police car she told her kids to put on their belts and when they passed car she said they could take them off again! I couldn't believe it. Not only is this against the law, it is very very dangerous to all in the car including my restrained daughter.

If this law is flouted what else is that my daughter didn't notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I actually got brave and asked the parent as diplomatically as I could.
    My daughter was right, none of them were wearing seatbelts, kids were not in boosters or wearing seatbelts and toddler was not strapped into car seat!!

I said that I was not comfortable with this at all and that my daughter was upset about it and she was mortified (rightly so). She assured me that it would not happen again so I have to take her word on it but I am more aware now that not everyone has the same regard for safety!! I even went out and bought extra booster seats for my own car for whenever I'm collecting my daughters friends from school.

I know my daughter is only 5 but I can trust her to tell the truth as she is not able to lie. So she has promised me she will let me know if anything like this happens again. There should be no need for her to be driven anywhere by them anyway and I made it clear I will be driving her myself to any play dates etc.

Isn't it just so crazy to think there are people out there with such little regard for safety, whatever about themselves but toward their children & other peoples children.

Advertisement