Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair colour - faded to coppery

• 24-06-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hello :)
    (Apologizes if this is in the wrong forum)
    Just looking for some advice regarding my hair colour! Have been dying my hair dark brown for the last three years on and off. The last time I dyed my hair dark brown was around 6 weeks ago and it has started fading very quickly the last three weeks. Its faded to a coppery/gingery colour. I am wondering why its fading to this coppery colour when my original colour would have been fair/mousy brown. The middle and lower half of my hair is holding the brown but is not as copper as the top of my hair.

I want to stop dying my hair and get back to my original colour as best I can and I imagine I have a lot of color build up over the last three years. I've looked into getting my hair stripped but with Peter Mark quoting me €200 and having seen my sister have the blonde stripped from her hair and the damage done to her hair from the stripping process I'm not so sure.

I have researched ColourB4 and looked up threads on here about it but they are all from two years ago. I see Scott Cornwall has new products out his new one is Decolour remover which is meant to be an improved version of ColourB4. Have any of ye any experience using Colour b4 more recently or using the newer Decolour remover? Would I need one box of regular or the extra strength version? I have long enough hair.

I have a photo of my hair attached showing the roots and fading etc. I would really appreciate any advice ye could give me with what to do with my hair. The photo isn't great it doesn't really show how light the colour has faded, will try get a better photo

Thank you,
    Mugatuu

(Mods could ye put colour after the word coppery please!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you been using permanents or semis?
    I dye my hair from light mousy brown with slight red undertones to dark plummy brown, I think my natural red undertones as well as the blend of colours in the dye make the dye fade out to a coppery tone, what I do is to use a slightly different colour when this happens, i.e. a true dark brown semi instead of a plummy brown, and I find it helps.
    Also if I'm refreshing my colour after only 6 weeks I only saturate the lengths of the hair for 10 minutes maximum, that's all you need to replenish the shine really.
    The John Freida range of shampoos for brunette hair are good for toning down coppery shades too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

This used to happen to me also. What I found was that some hair dyes have warm undertones which in turn will turn the hair copperish. What worked for me was using hair colours with words like ice and cool in the title which mean that they haven't red undertones. Unfortunately I don't think dying over it is your solution, if it's any consolation I think that the colour looks lovely and isn't all too noticeable and maybe just growing it out would be a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolineca

Ive been having the same problem recently. I dye my hair dark brown. Ive always used semi perm colour but recently started using the perm colour and i find my roots after about two weeks fade to a mousy colour, im not sure wat the reason is but tink il revert to the semis. I was tinkin about getting my hair stripped as ther is alot of build up, didnt realise it was that bad for ur hair!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I have used colour b4 but not decolour remover. I always recommend everyone goes onto Scotts facebook page and ask his advice because he really knows his stuff about hair and tells people how to get the results they want. He recommends other products aswell, not just his own ones.

Don't ask him about colour b4 as he is no longer associated with it and so he doesn't respond to those questions.

He also has colour restore products and if you wanted to keep the dark brown maybe one of those would work for you. http://decolourremover.com/shop/chocolate

His facebook page is Scott Cornwall hair expert or you can contact him here if you don't want to use facebook. http://decolourremover.com/contact.html

I'm not in any way associated with him btw, I just always recommend him as he helped me out with some hair colour issues before.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

The minute you use a permanent dye or any dye that requires you to mix two bottles, you are changing your natural hair colour, which you will only ever get back by regrowing it. The peroxide in the dye always gives your hair an orange tint, no matter what the colour. Colour before is fine, but it also states it will only get you to a light orange at best if you have ever used a peroxide colour (ie, any box dye)

Another factor is that you are using a very gold brown (anything with a three/four after it for example XX/3 or XX/4) This will give you a coppery undertone which will show through the more it fades. To avoid this, get a cool brown colour such as 5/1 or even a 5/13 which is not very cool but tones down the gold a little.

The only way to get back to your natural colour is to get to that orange stage, and dye it closest to your natural colour as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement