Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy camping gear?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I just wondered if anyone can recommend some websites that sell cheap camping gear?

I already have the tent but need alot of the smaller accessories for cooking etc

Hoping someone can share some links

Thanks guys

RPS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I find Argos and from time to time Aldi and Lidl do a lot of stuff. Tesco also have a camping range. Alternatively Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

For cooking equipment go for qualiy rather than cheap. A trangia will cost you about 90 but it will last 20 years. Or a good gas cooker.

For utensils the likes of tesco or argos is fine.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 itsonlyus

either Lidil or Aldi have a load of stuff for next week or two, cant remember which one it was, check their websites

Also, if you don't mind a bit of extra weight, army surplus stuff can be pretty good.

militarymart.co.uk have a load of stuff. They have an interesting looking alternative to a Trangia from the swiss army,

http://militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2273

it doesn't come with the burner but they are cheap from militarymart or make your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Or you could try the old Swedish army issue trangia on there...

http://militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=393 - all the reliability of a trangie, without the price tag. They've got bigger burners than a regular trangia though, so they absolutely eat meths, but they do heat stuff quickly!

Main downside is the small size of the pan, making it hard to cook a fryup for two! ;)

Treadhead wrote: »
    Or you could try the old Swedish army issue trangia on there...

http://militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=393 - all the reliability of a trangie, without the price tag. They've got bigger burners than a regular trangia though, so they absolutely eat meths, but they do heat stuff quickly!

Main downside is the small size of the pan, making it hard to cook a fryup for two! ;)

I am getting one of them as an historical addition to my commercial one.

If you add 10% water to the meths it stretche it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I dont know how the prices compare but the chap in Go Outdoor Ireland will be able to help you out. Look for Ronan if you ring the shop and he knows pretty much anything worth knowing about his stock. Plus they are based in Waterford so you are supporting Irish.

http://gooutdoorireland.com/store/index.php

I'm all for supporting Irish shops but not at those prices.
    e.g rocky 2 tent 65 - 35 in Millets in Dublin
    Ottawa 4 for 350. I bought the 6 for 160 in Millets recently. I was in there on Friday and they have the 4 for 120
    Hiker sleeping mat for 23. I bought 2 elsewhere for 17.
    Craghopper kiwi zipoffs 55 - bought on ebay for around 35.

They may have some deals - I didn't look through the whole site - but definitely shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

TK Maxx is a great spot for craghoppers - think I got my last ones in there for €25 or so....

• Advertisement

I found ebay cheaper. Standard kiwis (non cut off) are about 23 delivered. Cheapest I saw them in TK Max was 35. Make sure you use parcel motel for delivery and use the Antrim address - otherwise you get robbed in delivery charges. One shop was free delivery to the UK but £12 to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

If you dont mind ordering from the UK both of the following outlets have very good websites and offer very reasonable delivery prices to Ireland and their prices are also pretty good:
    World of Camping
    Outdoor megastore
    If you google them you will find their websites.
    Good luck finding your stuff.

For some bits and pieces (Karrimor and Craghoppers gear especially) www.sportsdirect.com is good value and their postage is very reasonable.

Sportsdirect recently bought Gelert. And I've just found out that they are closing Millets in Dublin - shop will be gone by Monday.

Advertisement