Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Computer Applications // NUI Maynooth Computer Science

Options
  • 24-06-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light as to the specific difference between computer applications in DCU versus computer science Maynooth..?
    On a basic level - why is one 'applications' and the other 'science'?

Any help is useful help! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

To cut it short. In Maynooth you ll be spending more time reading and studying then actually programming. DCU is the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Ive done modules from both universities. Both should lead to a similar enough qualification.

But as the name suggests (and Stev o confirms) - you will be "studying" more in NUIM. From what I have seen so far in DCU - there is an emphasis on project work. NUIM may concentrate more on the science part. That is, working out problems, why are things done in a particular way. I remember in NUIM - for one of the main programming modules (which lasted a full year) - we were instructed to spend most of our time solving the problems with pen&paper. For that module, the continuous assmt was a written class test & the end of year exam was written. So you could have passed the year without logging on to a computer !

As the years go on in NUIM, the material becomes more abstract eg theoretical comp science. This is what tripped me up and why I am back as a mature postgrad in DCU to get my IT quali. Perhaps in hindsight, DCU may have suited me as an undergrad.

As lots of previous posters have said, maths is part of both courses. It would help if you were strong at maths - esp for NUIM when things get "mathsy" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Would agree with delricyo, DCU is very hands-on. A lot of work but you will be able to programme and have project work to prove it.

Industry reputation of DCU is also stronger I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

DCU has the better reputation with regards to computer applications, well this was the case 5 years ago anyway.

I was told this back in 2004 that computer applications was one of the more practical degrees with more programming labs and projects. Studying theory is boring, you would rather program :P

Advertisement