Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Frankfurt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Ah FFS! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Fran is out.
    Kicked in ribs and on way to hospital now. Tried to keep going but suspects broken ribs.

Ffs. No luck again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus, I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I hope he has someone over there with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Matt Molloy crushing it.

John woods pulse looking like 615 for swim/bike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 boucher

Poor auld Jackyback, if the last disaster didn't send him to retirement, this surely will.
    Some people are just not cut for ironman races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

boucher wrote: »
    Poor auld Jackyback, if the last disaster didn't send him to retirement, this surely will.
    Some people are just not cut for ironman races.

Nothing you can do about things like this.

Delboyfagan still going well.

X-rays have confirmed two fractured ribs for Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Must have been some kick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

This gives his swim a new perspective. Two fractured ribs and remember it ain't long ago his arm was in a sling too :eek:! That is a savage swim considering those two things alone.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Must have been some kick

Malicious and deliberate full force kick. The guy thought Fran grapped his leg

• Advertisement

I don't get this ****. I doubt the kicker was a Kona contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No he was a fvking arsehole is what he was. I don't think I will ever experience a more painful swim like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

+1

Even if it had been Fran. There's no f*cking need for that. Your legs get pulled, kicks in the face, arm gets pulled etc when jostling for space in the swim. Maybe yer man should have started at the back if he didn't want that? :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No he was a fvking arsehole is what he was. I don't think I will ever experience a more painful swim like that.

Did you manage to ID him?

Am raging, properly angry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Something similar happened to HM (a former mod) in Austria I think it was a few year ago when someone turned to her in the swim and punched her in the face breaking her nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Tough break man. I genuinely think you must be one of the unluckiest men in this sport.

I can see why this sort of thing happens, adrenaline is sky high and your in full fight or flight mode.

Doesn't make it right though.

Hopefully see you there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Rawhead wrote: »
    I can see why this sort of thing happens, adrenaline is sky high and your in full fight or flight mode.

Doesn't make it right though.

Hopefully see you there next year.

Why though is that sort of behaviour tolerated in the swim portion of triathlons? You will never see someone pushing someone off a bike or punching someone during the run so why is there a culture of acceptance of this sort of behaviour in the water, right through and including the pro ranks? Has anyone ever been sanctioned for this sort of thing before?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Why though is that sort of behaviour tolerated in the swim portion of triathlons? You will never see someone pushing someone off a bike or punching someone during the run so why is there a culture of acceptance of this sort of behaviour in the water, right through and including the pro ranks? Has anyone ever been sanctioned for this sort of thing before?

The why is easy... no accountability.

How do you identify one person in a wetsuit from 2000 other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Gringo78 wrote: »

Because you have 2000 people thrashing about in close proximity who are amped up to the nth degree in an alien environment.
    Do you watch or compete in any cycling races? The riders shove each other about all the time.
    I really don't think you could police this either, it's just something that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The_Italian

Hi All,

I also signed up for Frankfurt this year. I am training with a few mates doing Roth instead, and I was wondering if anybody who is also training for Frankfurt and lives around Dublin would be interested in organizing some long session on the bike during the weekends, register for some practice race, and ideally even share some advice on the race itself, in case you did Frankfurt in the past.
    It would also be nice to have a good representation of athletes coming from Ireland once in Frankfurt.
    Cheers All,
    Andrea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Any thoughts on how Jan Frodeno might go in Frankfurt? His 70.3 form is certainly impressive at the moment.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how Jan Frodeno might go in Frankfurt? His 70.3 form is certainly impressive at the moment.

Well if we double the distance then he has to do twice as well. That's how it works right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Heard some rumour mill that he is doing mad hours, but then he was always that way inclined I gather.

Being an olympic champ, now mastering the 70.3 its a fair bet he will be well prepared.

Down to individual and nutrition/gastro then you'd imagine, which has taken down many an ironman attempt.

Personally, id fair him to go pretty damn well.

Podium a likely, but up against more experienced racers and being his first attempt at the distance (I think??).

If he nails nutrition, id say he will be prepared and fit enough to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

He has obviously sorted his run related injuries too which is great. Saw an interview with him after last weekends race and he looks to be in super shape.

Finishing 2secs behind Potts in the swim was impressive too. I know Potts is on the way back from injury but impressive all the same.

Yes, FF is his first attempt at the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Advertisement