Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move down the country to get a nicer house?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

Be interested in peoples opinions on this.

We've been trying to buy a house in Dublin for 18 months......prices have gone up and up and up and up and up.......

We are now pretty much priced out.

We have a reasonable amount of cash.

We could move down the country to say Kilkenny or Westport or Kenmare, and buy a nice house mortgage free, for 1/3 of what it would cost in DUblin. We could live a financially stress free existence in that there is no mortgage, pick up whatever jobs we could find locally.

The trade off is that our careers would be detrimentally affected and earning power diminished. And our families mostly in Dublin.

Any thoughts on what the right thing to do is here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on a) how far down the country (or more importantly how remote are we talking) and b) how much is your earning power diminished. There is no point in moving several hours drive from Dublin if your chances of getting work near to where you move to are remote. Nor is there any point in subjecting yourself to a 3-4 hour daily commute just so you can have a nicer/cheaper house; quality of life is too important and there is no point in having a nice house if you are never there/too tired to appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I wouldnt move to commute.

I'd be moving on the basis that I'd rather take a 50% pay cut (what I'm assuming I'd get if i moved down the country) than be chained to a massive mortgage on a house that costs 3 times in Dublin what it would in a nice town/ village of your choice anywhere in the rest of country.

We could buy a decent house down the country with our cash savings.

We could pay for 1/3 of a decent house in Dublin for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I'd be moving on the basis that I'd rather take a 50% pay cut (what I'm assuming I'd get if i moved down the country) than be chained to a massive mortgage on a house that costs 3 times in Dublin what it would in a nice town/ village of your choice anywhere in the rest of country.

Yes but the fact houses in Dublin are more expensive is offset by the fact you reckon your earning power is double that of this nice place down the country.

So another way of looking at it is that you could pay 1/3 of a decent house in Dublin with your savings, another 1/3 is covered by the fact your earnings are double.

so then the question is for the sake of 1/3 of the cost of a nice house in the country versus a nice house in Dublin are you prepared to uproot your whole family, move away from family and friends and start a new life fresh.

that's without even taking into account that over time the Dublin house "burden" becomes less as inflation reduces its impact on your day to day lives.

Personally I wouldn't do it but there is no right or wrong answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This choice is looming for me now. I can work anywhere there's a broadband connection so the main considerations are whether I should move back to my Western home town to be closer to my parents or stay in Dublin to be close to shops, cinema etc. Would probably be an apartment in Dublin vs a 3-bed house at home but I'm not really fussed about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

We could live a financially stress free existence in that there is no mortgage, pick up whatever jobs we could find locally
    The above sounds a little optimistic. Presumably, you mean that your life may be financially stress free IF you can get a job locally. Even without a mortgage, presumably you'll need money coming in for living expenses, to support children etc?

Part of the reason that property is at least somewhat buoyant in some parts of Dublin at present is that employment in certain sectors, such as IT, is actually increasing in the city. In contrast, many small towns and rural locations have been particularly harshly affected by the downturn due to reliance on the construction sector.

So you probably need to ask yourself a few honest questions. How easy will it be for you both to find relevant employment if you move? How will you cope if one or both of you can't find employment? Would you be willing to commute to Dublin for work if necessary, and how would that affect your quality of life?

During the Tiger many people moved to more remote locations to buy a larger, more impressive house, and now find themselves in "commuter hell", stuck in locations with poor amenities and few employment opportunities, with no option but to spend a considerable amount of their time commuting rather than with their families. You just need to make sure you don't fall into that trap.

• Advertisement

Its not so much about taking a pay cut; its a case of whether or not you can actually find work at all in your field in the area that you move to. Id hazard a guess that a lot of people who commute 90+ minutes twice a day would take a job closer to home for less money if it was an option.

Generally speaking there is a reason why houses down the country that are a third the price of Dublin are so cheap, and its often because the location is not desirable because of lack of employment. Only you know if this is going to be an issue for you in your chosen profession. If employment is an issue for you, and you dont mind being a 2-3 hour drive from family and friends, then I think you could strongly consider moving down the country. There is a lot to be said for life outside of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No.

Life is about things like family, friends and ties than an extra thousand square foot in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jesbus, moving from Dublin to Kerry or Mayo is a pretty big leap to take, just because you can't afford a house in Dublin. If you can't afford a house in Dublin (or in one of the commuter towns in neighbouring counties) that's fair enough, but what about the likes of Louth or Carlow? Are there not houses crying out for buyers there? Plus, the motor way will have you back in Dublin in 45 minutes to an hour, as opposed to three hours.

Don't take it for granted that you'll be able to get work in these places you are thinking of moving too. They are the places that you see on the news every night, being decimated by emigration. Why do you think that you in particular, will not be affected by the lack of jobs?

Replacing the friends and family that you currently have is no mean feat. It's all well and good to have a nice, big 4 bedroom house on an acre of land with plenty of room for the kids to run around. But what if you are terribly lonely there with no family around, or you can't get to really enjoy it as you spend all your time on the motorway heading back up to Dublin to see your loved ones, or go to the concerts, sporting events etc ect that you take for granted being on your doorstep here.

Buying a house is one of the biggest decisions you'll ever make in your life. There is no way I'd ever buy a house in the country, unless I was 100% that I would actually like to live in the country. Why not rent for a year down the country, and see how you like it? Then decide.

One thing that I will say is that if you are serious about moving a lot way down the country, rent there for a year first and see how you get on. If the houses that you are looking at in these areas are that cheap then rent will cost you half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    One thing that I will say is that if you are serious about moving a lot way down the country, rent there for a year first and see how you get on. If the houses that you are looking at in these areas are that cheap then rent will cost you half nothing.

This without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I did this, and I've never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Jaden wrote: »
    I did this, and I've never looked back.

Maybe you should update your location? :pac:

The above sounds a little optimistic. Presumably, you mean that your life may be financially stress free IF you can get a job locally. Even without a mortgage, presumably you'll need money coming in for living expenses, to support children etc?

Part of the reason that property is at least somewhat buoyant in some parts of Dublin at present is that employment in certain sectors, such as IT, is actually increasing in the city. In contrast, many small towns and rural locations have been particularly harshly affected by the downturn due to reliance on the construction sector.

The flip side of that comment is that the buoyancy in IT etc may not last long, and in five years time Dublin could be a lot worse than it currently is.

My own view is that rural economy does not get much worse than it currently is, whereas Dublin could get considerably worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Yes, I would.
    In fact, last year, I did.
    I have an extra 2 hrs commute every day as I still work in Dublin so am up at 5.30am every weekday morning to try to avoid rush-hour traffic.

Is it worth it?
    For us, yes, no question. But it's a very subjective thing and it comes down to what you value. I can live with the early mornings and longer commutes because we were never going to be able to afford the house we wanted in Dublin. For other people, perhaps they would value things differently.
    As some have suggested, rent for a while if you're not sure.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jesbus, moving from Dublin to Kerry or Mayo is a pretty big leap to take, just because you can't afford a house in Dublin. If you can't afford a house in Dublin (or in one of the commuter towns in neighbouring counties) that's fair enough, but what about the likes of Louth or Carlow? .

I'd sooner live in Westport than in Carlow.

The way I see it, a lot of midlands towns have been absolutely destroyed by the Celtic Tiger.......Carlow would be one of them. Tesco plus the property crash have screwed the place. The town centre is half boarded up. Portlaoise would be the same. Kilkenny on the other hand has not sold itself out to the same degree and the town centre has a decent bit of life to it.

There are a certain amount of rural towns that I think would be absolutely fantastic to live in, because of their geographic settings. What I am talking about here is picking the best place to live outside of Dublin, and then worrying about a job when i get there. Hence Westport. Irish Times says it is the best place to live in Ireland, and I can see why.

What I am talking about here is picking the best place to live outside of Dublin, and then worrying about a job when i get there.

Thats a very haphazard way of looking at it. It would be one thing if you were renting and could remain mobile, but you are tying yourself to a property, and probably one that might not be so easy to sell on if it comes to it. Unless you are in a position in life where you do not actually need to earn a living and do not rely on a wage, employment is always going to be a key factor in deciding how viable an area is to live in. There are lots of places that might be nice to live in, but wont be a lot of use to you if you struggle to find work in or near them.

djimi wrote: »
    Thats a very haphazard way of looking at it. It would be one thing if you were renting and could remain mobile, but you are tying yourself to a property, and probably one that might not be so easy to sell on if it comes to it. Unless you are in a position in life where you do not actually need to earn a living and do not rely on a wage, employment is always going to be a key factor in deciding how viable an area is to live in. There are lots of places that might be nice to live in, but wont be a lot of use to you if you struggle to find work in or near them.

I've always been able to find some sort of job and would be confident of doing so in a decent sized regional town. Might be crap pay, might be working in a bar. But I'd find something.

And if I didnt. Have you seen how good dole is in this country? (People might call that a cynical attitude but I have neighbours on social welfare who seem to have more disposable income than I do.......at what point do you say, if you cant beat them join them).

My own view is that rural economy does not get much worse than it currently is, whereas Dublin could get considerably worse.
    But the two are clearly linked. If unemployment increases in Dublin, any job loses will naturally have a knock-on effect on the economy of neighbouring commuter areas, and the current migration of workers from rural areas to Dublin will cease, leading to further emigration and/or greater competition for jobs in rural areas.
    What I am talking about here is picking the best place to live outside of Dublin, and then worrying about a job when i get there.
    To be honest this sounds like a pretty risky proposition. Even if your finances are not a concern at all, how are you both going to cope if you find yourselves unemployed living in a new location away from friends and family?

I'd second what others have said and consider renting for a year before making any more drastic moves (beyond giving up your current careers). If you buy and then regret your decision, you may be stuck with a property that's difficult to sell for the foreseeable future. After all, there's a reason properties are much cheaper in some areas compared to others.

But the two are clearly linked. If unemployment increases in Dublin, any job loses will naturally have a knock-on effect on the economy of neighbouring commuter areas, and the current migration of workers from rural areas to Dublin will cease, leading to further emigration and/or greater competition for jobs in rural areas.

To be honest this sounds like a pretty risky proposition.

I would say the two clearly are not linked.

The Dublin economy is part of the global economy. Job creation in Dublin depends on the global economy. All the multinationals in Ireland, apart from those setting up cheap call centres, are located in Dublin, or at a push Cork or Galway.

The rural economy is not benefitting from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Be interested in peoples opinions on this.

We've been trying to buy a house in Dublin for 18 months......prices have gone up and up and up and up and up.......

We are now pretty much priced out.

We have a reasonable amount of cash.

We could move down the country to say Kilkenny or Westport or Kenmare, and buy a nice house mortgage free, for 1/3 of what it would cost in DUblin. We could live a financially stress free existence in that there is no mortgage, pick up whatever jobs we could find locally.

The trade off is that our careers would be detrimentally affected and earning power diminished. And our families mostly in Dublin.

Any thoughts on what the right thing to do is here?

really?

• Advertisement

And if I didnt. Have you seen how good dole is in this country? (People might call that a cynical attitude but I have neighbours on social welfare who seem to have more disposable income than I do.......at what point do you say, if you cant beat them join them).
    So your plan is to buy a house outright with cash, and then live on the dole at the expense of the taxpayer? Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

move to westport, great town and lovely part of this country. Dublin= ****hole

OP have you looked at what work might be available in these towns you are looking at?

House prices are lower in places for a reason.

There can be different prices even within counties: Westport vs Castlebar is one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

OP we did this years ago (2006) and at first it was fine, however we struggled when babies came about due to the lack of support and family. We are now making plans to return to Dublin in 2 years.

I'm not saying you will have the same experience, however make sure you weigh everything up. Mrs LFC was the hardest hit due to the lack of close friends, and after a while the phone just doesn't cut it.

Best of luck with what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Houses in Ireland are an interesting one. We have fantastic big houses in places like cavan and some parts of louth and meath. Theres almost nothing higher than a dormer bungalow with 2500sqft + in the dublin suburbs / kildare region. I couldnt forsee myself living outside of the GDA but I may have to as the size of the house would be a far bigger pull than location and even with a self build planning laws stop me building what I want where I want.

So your plan is to buy a house outright with cash, and then live on the dole at the expense of the taxpayer? Right.

No I dont plan to do that.

However I will say that I feel like a right sap paying so much in taxes, when I see people around me appearing to live very well on the dole (or I should say more accurately, the dole plus black market work).

Anyway, that is another debate. Feel free to start a seperate thread.

really?

really.

anyone who is trying to buy will tell you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Just to make a point, we live in a small 3 bed, nothing special. It's all about location, family and quality of life. If you are happy in a 20 bed mansion or a cardboard box, then that is for you to decide.... I know that we would move our small house if we could as we have grown fond of the closeness :) very hard to hide in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think this sort of behavior should be banned, I could get a house for half the money ill end up paying because of all the blow ins working from home and dont get me started on retirees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

really.

anyone who is trying to buy will tell you this.

The stats show falls in asking prices in all areas.

Advertisement