Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move down the country to get a nicer house?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think this sort of behavior should be banned, I could get a house for half the money ill end up paying because of all the blow ins working from home and dont get me started on retirees.

Should it be banned the other way? Culchies going to Dublin? And how would it happen? County passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Move North, Donegal's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP : What provence is "Down the country" located, I cant seem to find in on the map:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

the size of the house would be a far bigger pull than location

That's unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Be interested in peoples opinions on this.

We've been trying to buy a house in Dublin for 18 months......prices have gone up and up and up and up and up.......

We are now pretty much priced out.

We have a reasonable amount of cash.

We could move down the country to say Kilkenny or Westport or Kenmare, and buy a nice house mortgage free, for 1/3 of what it would cost in DUblin. We could live a financially stress free existence in that there is no mortgage, pick up whatever jobs we could find locally.

The trade off is that our careers would be detrimentally affected and earning power diminished. And our families mostly in Dublin.

Any thoughts on what the right thing to do is here?
    I think you would be crazy.

You mention a career, so I assume you have a planned trajectory and decent wage increases coming over the next 5-10 years if you stay near economic opportunities. You would surrender this to go on the dole (which, despite what you think is pretty bloody awful) or for minimum wage jobs?

And when/if kids come along, I cannot overstate the importance of being close to a support network.

You might be mortgage free, but the financial sacrifice overall is huge. House prices in many parts of Dublin are rising, but there are areas where bargains can still be had.

• Advertisement

Really. There are no house price rises in Dublin. Where did that propoganda get out there?

And Kilkenny is about 1:20 from the M50. If you decided to only look for jobs on the M50 it's a doable commute.

Or rent a room for a few days - 4 a week. All possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I'm trying to decide on something similar but slightly reversed. I work in Dublin but live "down the country", in Galway. I had to leave to seek employment!

I'm currently looking to buy a house, but I can't decide on moving to Dublin to be close to work but getting much less for my money, or buying a much bigger house in galway for alot less money, and raring my kids close to their family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't. Location is all important to us.

I've done the commuting thing, and it's not for me. I prefer those two hours in the car to be spent with my family and friends instead of listening to Matt Cooper (sorry Matt!).

I like being able to walk to a shop for milk, walk to a pub, catch a bus, walk to a hairdresser, post office, school and have services like super-fast broadband, great restaurants, decent roads that are maintained, mains water, gas and sewage. I like that my friends and family are near enough to pop in for a cup of tea. Rural, to me, means driving everywhere, crappy services and isolation.

Unless you mean just moving to another city or a town. That's fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

House prices in many parts of Dublin are rising, but there are areas where bargains can still be had.

In many parts they are still falling.

The OP did not say which micro-market in Dublin where the house hunting is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

tonic wine wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide on something similar but slightly reversed. I work in Dublin but live "down the country", in Galway. I had to leave to seek employment!

I'm currently looking to buy a house, but I can't decide on moving to Dublin to be close to work but getting much less for my money, or buying a much bigger house in galway for alot less money, and raring my kids close to their family!
    That's a toughie alright, a lot depends on your circumstances, where your partner works, are there kids yet, are there likely to be job opportunities in your field in Galway in the medium term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The stats show falls in asking prices in all areas.

All I can say to you is that houses I am looking at have gone up substantially. I can only deal with the cards that are dealt. House I am looking at in Dublin have gone up substantially. I know what the stats say and all i can say to you is that I dearly wish they were borne out in reality, but they arent. There is a huge risk to buying because we dont know if the government will unleash a plethora of repossessed homes into the market. It puts the buyer in a terrible position.

Really. There are no house price rises in Dublin. Where did that propoganda get out there?

The man is actively on the market looking for houses in certain areas and he's being outpriced, he's not lying or reading propaganda. It's his experience. My neighbours house is for sale and currently there's a bidding war going on between three potential buyers.

Are you currently buying in Dublin? Is if your experience that there are absolutely no house rises ANYWHERE in Dublin? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

All I can say to you is that houses I am looking at have gone up substantially. I can only deal with the cards that are dealt. House I am looking at in Dublin have gone up substantially. I know what the stats say and all i can say to you is that I dearly wish they were borne out in reality, but they arent. There is a huge risk to buying because we dont know if the government will unleash a plethora of repossessed homes into the market. It puts the buyer in a terrible position.

We did it, moved down the east coast, have access to the beach and commute daily it's about 45-50 minutes each way. Difference is neither myself or my missus are from Dublin, and have family in the area. We live 1k outside town have access to tons of restaraunts and a fair few pubs.

The house we bought is massive and on it's own land surrounded by trees, for the price of a two bed apartment in dundrum.

They're all the good things that suit us, and as we have a kid we have to be close to our support network. However if you're moving away from a support network and intend on having kids I'd think long and hard about it, especially if you've never lived in another town bar dublin.

I moved to dublin young and had a great time, also a few times where I really missed home and it was always in the back of my head that I'd get back there, (I haven't quite but a lot closer).

If you don't know anyone in the area it can be a bit daunting, but the caveat to that is no matter where you go in Ireland you'll find foreign nationals living there and settled down, and they've all had to come a lot further than Dublin.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The man is actively on the market looking for houses in certain areas and he's being outpriced, he's not lying or reading propaganda. It's his experience. My neighbours house is for sale and currently there's a bidding war going on between three potential buyers.

Are you currently buying in Dublin? Is if your experience that there are absolutely no house rises ANYWHERE in Dublin? I doubt it.

One cannot generalise that prices are "on the up and up" for the whole of Dublin. As experienced from anecdotes on this forum a few weeks ago, there is certainly activity in certain segments in demand in a few areas.

From looking at the latest stats(collapso.net) for asking prices, sellers are still reducing their prices in the vast majority of cases in Dublin. If the OP is telling the truth, the price rise is happening in a specific area to suit a particular need rather than affecting all of Dublin. And we do not know any specifics and criteria about what the OP is looking at as the OP has not stated any yet.

gurramok wrote: »
    One cannot generalise that prices are "on the up and up" for the whole of Dublin. As experienced from anecdotes on this forum a few weeks ago, there is certainly activity in certain segments in demand in a few areas.

From looking at the latest stats(collapso.net) for asking prices, sellers are still reducing their prices in the vast majority of cases in Dublin. If the OP is telling the truth, the price rise is happening in a specific area to suit a particular need rather than affecting all of Dublin. And we do not know any specifics and criteria about what the OP is looking at as the OP has not stated any yet.

He probably got into a bidding war, or the EA faked one.

No but I am watching prices on daft and property pin as I may buy this year or next. Not seeing much activity either way but there are some price rises in some areas anecdotally. Given a relative low supply of housing it's possible that some bidding wars may happen. However even if 2k extra houses were released it would stall the market.

Buying now before the repossessions is a form of madness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There is a huge risk to buying because we dont know if the government will unleash a plethora of repossessed homes into the market. It puts the buyer in a terrible position.

Well then dont buy. Why not put your money away somewhere for a few years (where it can earn some interest) and rent until you better know where you stand? It would put you in a far better position to make your move down the country, as you would be free to test out the job market and see if you enjoy the standard of living outside of Dublin without the need to committing to buying a property, and if you find that everything is working out for you then you could consider purchasing a house.

I have never understood this need to buy a house. Its a huge decision; if there is any element of doubt about it (which in this case there clearly is) then hold off and wait until you are sure of where you stand.

One cannot generalise that prices are "on the up and up" for the whole of Dublin.

I didn't. I specifically said Certain Areas.
    houses in certain areas and he's being outpriced
    He probably got into a bidding war, or the EA faked one.

You haven't a clue what my personal situation is, but it's quiet the opposite of your little presumption there. ;)

I didn't. I specifically said Certain Areas

Never said you did. The OP did http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85227177&postcount=1

Fair enough, you must have quoted me by accident.

• Advertisement

I didn't. I specifically said Certain Areas.

You haven't a clue what my personal situation is, but it's quiet the opposite of your little presumption there. ;)

Sure, All the properties you looked at in the last 18 months were massively increasing in asking price anywhere you looked.

It's 2013 not 2004.

Sure, All the properties you looked at we're massively increasing in asking price anywhere you looked.

It's 2013 not 2006.

Again, you know nothing about my personal circumstances, so stop speculating!

Again, you know nothing about my personal circumstances, so stop speculating!

I don't have to. You "circumstances" are an anecdote. The statistics show that house prices did not rise in the last 18 months.

Edit: you are not the OP who is the guy I suggested got into a bidding war. Learn to read the threads.

I don't have to. You "circumstances" are an anecdote. The statistics show that house prices did not rise in the last 18 months.

Edit: you are not the OP who is the guy I suggested got into a bidding war. Learn to read the threads.

You seem to be editing your posts a lot. Can you explained what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd sooner live in Westport than in Carlow.

The way I see it, a lot of midlands towns have been absolutely destroyed by the Celtic Tiger.......Carlow would be one of them. Tesco plus the property crash have screwed the place. The town centre is half boarded up. Portlaoise would be the same. Kilkenny on the other hand has not sold itself out to the same degree and the town centre has a decent bit of life to it.

There are a certain amount of rural towns that I think would be absolutely fantastic to live in, because of their geographic settings. What I am talking about here is picking the best place to live outside of Dublin, and then worrying about a job when i get there. Hence Westport. Irish Times says it is the best place to live in Ireland, and I can see why.

I agree, in that I think that Westport would be a much nicer place to live in than Carlow. But seeing as the OP mentioned his family in his first post, I presumed that being close to them would play a role in where he would choose to live. As all of his family are in Dublin, that is why I mentioned places that were approx an hour away from Dublin. If he is living in Kerry or Mayo, he can kiss good bye to spending any sort of decent time with them on a regular basis. And if he is on the dole, or doing relatively low paid bar work (two things the OP mentioned) I also don't see him having the disposable income to schlep up to Dublin from Kerry on a regular basis, even if he had the will and the time to do so.
    What provence is "Down the country" located, I cant seem to find in on the map:P

I think it's pretty much every where past the Red Cow. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Can't ever see my self working/living anywhere outside Dublin... It's funny how country people usually say the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Can't ever see my self working/living anywhere outside Dublin... It's funny how country people usually say the opposite.

Youd be surprised. As you get older your priorities change; the desire to have a nice house with a decent garden surrounded by green fields and cows can get quite overwhelming!

Thing is, you dont necessarily need to go "down the country" to get out of the city; plenty of places in the likes of Kildare are barely an hours drive from the city center and are as rural as you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The trade off is that our careers would be detrimentally affected and earning power diminished. And our families mostly in Dublin.
    You're going to the far reaches of Ireland to buy a house where you know no-one and you're going to be unemployed? It sounds like you've more money than sense.
    However even if 2k extra houses were released it would stall the market.
    Depends where the houses would be, and if the estate that they're in is finished.

=-=

To the OP; would you not look at areas which have a rail/dart/luas link to Dublin? I mention these rather than buses as their commute time is more reliable, and some can get you into Dublin a lot faster than the car. Example; Bray to Dublin would be 40 minutes. Houses would be about 50%-75% of the price of Dublin houses, and you'd still be able to work in Dubln.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

To the op
    We are considering doing the same too moving up to Louth near family with a job for one of us and the other commute to dub 2.5 days a week. Bit nervous also as lived in de big smoke past 15 odd years! Houses are a lot cheaper and the idea of a bit of a small farm is very appealing though in reality will be a pain to manage. Don't want to spend all our time in the jammer also with fuel prices rising all de time! Would have to start over making new friends but this is all possible given what some friends have fone over the past free years shifting over whole family to the uk and oz! Takes a couple of years to settle in but appears to be mworth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'd sooner live in Westport than in Carlow.

At least you have some sense.
    The way I see it, a lot of midlands towns have been absolutely destroyed by the Celtic Tiger.......Carlow would be one of them. Tesco plus the property crash have screwed the place. The town centre is half boarded up. Portlaoise would be the same. Kilkenny on the other hand has not sold itself out to the same degree and the town centre has a decent bit of life to it.

There are a certain amount of rural towns that I think would be absolutely fantastic to live in, because of their geographic settings. What I am talking about here is picking the best place to live outside of Dublin, and then worrying about a job when i get there. Hence Westport. Irish Times says it is the best place to live in Ireland, and I can see why.

Whilst it is definetly a nice town on the doorstep to some of the nicest places in the country, that ain't going to put food on the table.
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think this sort of behavior should be banned, I could get a house for half the money ill end up paying because of all the blow ins working from home and dont get me started on retirees.

And you put your location as Cork city ?????
    Should it be banned the other way? Culchies going to Dublin? And how would it happen? County passports?

Ehh County Cork does or did have passports as part of the Gathering AFAIK.

BTW the country folk have to go to Dublin to run both Dublin and the country.

Sadly the last dub that ran the country promoted the biggest eejit that he could find from the country and now look where we are. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement