Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black hair suits me?

• 24-06-2013 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Heyy!

I was thinking of dyeing my hair black, but keep on getting other people's opinions that it wouldn't suit me. I've pale skin, darkish brown hair and blue eyes as it is.

I would post a picture of myself to get more opinions, but I'm not sure if it's allowed? :pac:

I have a non permanent one to try it out first, any opinions if I'd suit black?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00763M084

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Why not try on a few wigs, take some pics and see what you think?
    I don't think there's any problem posting a pic of yourself as people do in other threads on this and other forums

What are your eyebrows like, thick or thin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

What are your eyebrows like, thick or thin?

My eyebrows are fairly thin and light. :]

I'll post a picture now so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

This is my hair as it is now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I think black would probably suit you but you'll have to fill your eyebrows in so they don't look washed out. Dark brown would be the best colour to fill them in because if you use black it would look too harsh.

• Advertisement

Go for it, before the curiosity consumes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I think it might wash you out. Maybe try a semi-perm instead of fully committing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I had black hair for years and I will definitely go back to it someday. I am pale with blue eyes.

If you do dye your hair black just be aware that when you first put it in it will be very very harsh unnatural black and you might panic but after a couple of washes this will tone down and look more normal, still a true black but not the very harsh black when you initially put it in, I used to always hate my hair when it had been freshly dyed.

I loved the black though, it was always shiny, it didn't fade, it was very low maintenance etc.

I don't really like semi permanent dyes, any time I tried them they didn't wash out as well as they were supposed to so I don't bother with them now.

Someone commented on your eyebrows saying you would have to fill them in but I have light eyebrows aswell and I did try filling them in but they didn't suit me at all so I just kept them light and they looked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Itll totally suit you.

Now is a good time to do it too - black wears better in the summer imo.

I loved my hair when it was black, I have pale skin and blue eyes too - although thicker eyebrows. But peoples used to think I looked a bit ill in winter - I preferred to think I was pale and interesting myself....

My advice is - try it out with a semi permanent first, that way it wont last, and if you dont like it, no harm done. Its really hard to get permanent black out of hair and I had a whole year of trying to grow out stripped badly damaged hair so thats kind of off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I think it might wash you out a little going by that picture; I dyed mine from very dark brown to black last summer and it made an awful difference, which I didnt think it would. And yes, eyebrwo maintainence is crucial if you do take the plunge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Your hair is pretty dark already by the looks of it, so I would say go for it. Use a semi perm., there is actually no need to use a permanent colour unless you have grey hair. People often misunderstand what permanent colour is intended for and are then stuck with a colour they hate.

I have the same complexion as you and had black hair for many years.

Here is a good website for trying on a few hairstyles and colours, it is fun :)

www.taaz.com

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Tayla wrote: »

I don't really like semi permanent dyes, any time I tried them they didn't wash out as well as they were supposed to so I don't bother with them now.

Box dyes from the shops actually aren't 'semi permanent'. True semi colours dont use peroxide, as that is what intensifies the colour and makes it penetrate the hair. The only real semi colours are ones such as directions/crazy colour/ etc all of which you can get in black, but it will be a VERY deep, flat black, with not much tone at all other than what is already in your hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

You'll get to remember to apply a bit of blush as well to avoid looking gothic unless thats what you're going for. I grew up with black hair and fair brows and needed blush when I got to secondary school as the teachers would ask me if i was sick :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I went from bright blonde to almost black in November after years of threatening to do it. Like you, I'm fair-skinned with blue eyes. Before and after pics below:

As I was

380980_10150696535672678_1971724489_n.jpg

With the dark hair

271042_10151561247792678_1039304664_n.jpg

Obviously, it was a far more drastic change than yours, so I say, if you fancy doing it, go for it. If you absolutely hate it, you're not stuck with it indefinitely.

I *liked* mine dark, but I didn't love it. I had to wear a lot more make-up on a daily basis than I ordinarily would have to avoid looking washed out. Opinion of friends/family was split more or less straight down the middle - 50% LOVED it, and 50% preferred the blonde.

Even if everyone had preferred it dark, I'd have gone back blonde anyway - personally, I just prefer it, but I am glad I did it as I'd have spent another 10 years wondering what it would have been like. So, no regrets at all, and I'm now on the long road back to my previous colour.

After first head of highlights:

945003_3117171023777_230623885_n.jpg

After second head:

995721_3234069866175_60918410_n.jpg

I reckon one more head should get me back to where I was.

Anyway, apologies for all the pics, just wanted to give as full as view as possible of the journey from blonde to almost-black to blonde again for anyone who might be thinking of doing the same! I did a lot of research before I took the plunge and actually found very few people who've done it that way around, it's usually people going from drak to blonde, so I thought it might be helpful :)

Advertisement