Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal double door

Options
  • 24-06-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Where could I find a decent shop to buy internal double doors (the kind that go between the living and the dining in a typical Dublin 3-bed semi-D)? We had one there before but removed it to make it more open but now want to re-instate it back. It will need to be the doors, frame and a new partition wall (basically back to square one!).

The kind seen here http://www.doordepot.ie/product/florence/white-oak/

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They aren't special doors, just standard doors with a locking system - usually a normal mortice lock with bolts on top+ bottom for stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 att73

Thanks, yes but I am looking for somewhere to get the doors and then to get them put in place in a new partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Macs Salvage stock new doors cheapish. You need a carpenter to do the lot and it will cost you a fair bit in the end. I'd expect €1500 to get it done in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

att73 wrote: »
    Hi,

Where could I find a decent shop to buy internal double doors (the kind that go between the living and the dining in a typical Dublin 3-bed semi-D)? We had one there before but removed it to make it more open but now want to re-instate it back. It will need to be the doors, frame and a new partition wall (basically back to square one!).

The kind seen here http://www.doordepot.ie/product/florence/white-oak/

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Try Chadwicks

http://www.chadwicks.ie/

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Macs Salvage stock new doors cheapish. You need a carpenter to do the lot and it will cost you a fair bit in the end. I'd expect €1500 to get it done in Dublin

It does not cost 1.5k to get 2 doors fitted. Its less than a days work, so 100 euro, and the parts would come in under 500 euro for oak doors and standard frames. You can expect to pay a lot more for oak architrave and frames but certainly not 900 euros worth. The partition itself i can't comment on with any great accuracy because there aren't enough details. Materials would cost very little though (less than the doors) and again probably a lot less than a days work.
    att73 wrote: »
    Thanks, yes but I am looking for somewhere to get the doors and then to get them put in place in a new partition.

You'll need to decide what design you like and then price around - many companies offer good deals on particular types. Do you have anything in mind yet - oak/panel/glass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

It does not cost 1.5k to get 2 doors fitted. Its less than a days work, so 100 euro, and the parts would come in under 500 euro for oak doors and standard frames. You can expect to pay a lot more for oak architrave and frames but certainly not 900 euros worth. The partition itself i can't comment on with any great accuracy because there aren't enough details. Materials would cost very little though (less than the doors) and again probably a lot less than a days work.

You'll need to decide what design you like and then price around - many companies offer good deals on particular types. Do you have anything in mind yet - oak/panel/glass?

Would that include a skim finish :D

Wow guys, thanks! I am now repenting taking down the middle wall with the doors :-( I don't have anything in mind in particular - worst case scenario I will go with some decent value for money non-white, half-glass type doors.
    I will price around for both the materials and the labour.
    Is tradesmen.ie the best place to find decent chaps if one doesn't know anyone in the business?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

are you having a laugh ? No carpenter will do a days work for 100 euro. I also see no mention of the partition in your guestimation or skimming of plaster.

take off the rose tinted glasses and try give the OP some accurate information.

I am going on experience having had doors replaced and having patrician walls put up. There is no way you will get a carpenter for a day at €100. Having had 4 doors replaced it took them longer than 2 days.

To have a wall put back with doors and properly matched in will cost €1500 IMHO.

D3PO wrote: »
    are you having a laugh ? No carpenter will do a days work for 100 euro. I also see no mention of the partition in your guestimation or skimming of plaster.

take off the rose tinted glasses and try give the OP some accurate information.

Plenty of carpenters will work for that price, as will plumbers, plasterers, tilers etc. There are mountains of tradesmen looking for a days work.

Skimming: 100 euro for a days work, 100 euro for materials. That's a generous estimate. Personal experience btw, not rose tinted glasses - i even added on 20% because this is in Dublin
    I am going on experience having had doors replaced and having patrician walls put up. There is no way you will get a carpenter for a day at €100. Having had 4 doors replaced it took them longer than 2 days.

To have a wall put back with doors and properly matched in will cost €1500 IMHO.

Replacing 4 doors really doesn't take over 2 days. You'd put 4 doors in from scratch in less than that time, never mind replacing them. I think your estimate is quite high.

• Advertisement

pm me some numbers for carpenters that will do me a days work for 100 euro so.

Ive a few bits to do that I was going to do myself but sure if its only 100 quid I wouldn't be arsed doing it myself :rolleyes:

Replacing 4 doors really doesn't take over 2 days. You'd put 4 doors in from scratch in less than that time, never mind replacing them. I think your estimate is quite high.

Have you even read the thread ? Who said anything about replacing doors ? the OP certainly didn't.

Stud partition needs to be built and installed, plasterboard put up, skimmed, frame and arcatraves, & doors installed.

Probably some skirting board to be installed aswell Id imagine.

Your pricing on what you think it would cost is laughably low.

pm me some numbers for carpenters that will do me a days work for 100 euro so.

Ive a few bits to do that I was going to do myself but sure if its only 100 quid I wouldn't be arsed doing it myself :rolleyes:
    Its no skin off my nose if you do not believe me. The last had some trades in (plumber+tiler) to do work was about 2/3 months ago and I paid 80-100 a day. This wasn't a difficult to find price either.

EDIT: thread on these forums with day rates - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78022489
    Have you even read the thread ? Who said anything about replacing doors ? the OP certainly didn't.
    The post i was quoting and replying to mentioned replacing 4 doors which took over 2 days.
    Stud partition needs to be built and installed, plasterboard put up, skimmed, frame and arcatraves, & doors installed.

Probably some skirting board to be installed aswell Id imagine.

Your pricing on what you think it would cost is laughably low.
    None of that is difficult or slow work, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fewor

plenty of men out there capable of doing that job for- cash in hand- thats how i'd go about it

Its no skin off my nose if you do not believe me. The last had some trades in (plumber+tiler) to do work was about 2/3 months ago and I paid 80-100 a day. This wasn't a difficult to find price either.

EDIT: thread on these forums with day rates - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78022489

The post i was quoting and replying to mentioned replacing 4 doors which took over 2 days.

A tiler is always very cheap compared to a full trade person. Did you use a fully qualified legit plumber? You can always hire somebody not paying tax or charging vat to get a job done cheaply. Are you pricing this from the black market?

check your own link cheapest was 125 a day in Kerry. Fair to say in Dublin you can therefore expect a lot more.

Unless of course your suggesting black market work which is illegal. Is that what your referring to ......

A tiler is always very cheap compared to a full trade person. Did you use a fully qualified legit plumber? You can always hire somebody not paying tax or charging vat to get a job done cheaply. Are you pricing this from the black market?

Fully legit.
    check your own link cheapest was 125 a day in Kerry. Fair to say in Dublin you can therefore expect a lot more.

Unless of course your suggesting black market work which is illegal. Is that what your referring to ......

The lowest in the thread was about 115 a day that i noticed and the posts all claimed the prices were for professional services. A year later with no sign of an upturn in the market 100 a day is not unrealistic. Even going with Dublin being twice as expensive you are still looking at 2 days work @ 200 a day + materials of roughly 700(assuming oak doors)? That isn't working out at 1.5k no matter what way you wiggle it.

Look, I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it. I think you are overestimating the amount of work. I have done similar work myself in similar times to what i mentioned.

Fully legit.

The lowest in the thread was about 115 a day that i noticed and the posts all claimed the prices were for professional services. A year later with no sign of an upturn in the market 100 a day is not unrealistic. Even going with Dublin being twice as expensive you are still looking at 2 days work @ 200 a day + materials of roughly 700(assuming oak doors)? That isn't working out at 1.5k no matter what way you wiggle it.

Look, I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it. I think you are overestimating the amount of work. I have done similar work myself in similar times to what i mentioned.
    400+700=1100 and then a plasterer and painting and the 13.5% tax on the days pay.

Doesn't seem the far off what I said. No mention of fixing flooring either.

Let's wait for the OP to come back with what it costs them.

400+700=1100 and then a plasterer and painting and the 13.5% tax on the days pay.

Doesn't seem the far off what I said. No mention of fixing flooring either.

Let's wait for the OP to come back with what it costs them.

That would already include plasterer. Agree with waiting for OP to let us know though :)

Thanks guys, I have a good idea now. Off to find someone who'll do the honours for us :-) Will keep you posted on the progress.
    Many thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement