Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-14 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

DM360 wrote: »
    Only saw one replay of the sending off but it definitely looked harsh, Soldado threw an elbow in the first half and got off scott free. Very poor from Vertonghen, I hate that sort of thing.

Game has been completely swung in Spurs' favour now, no wonder really though.

To me that sending off was madness . It looked like both players leaned in with their heads and as soon as verthongen felt contact he dropped to the ground .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Shameful stuff from Vertonghen. Completely changed the game.
    To me that didnt even look like a headbutt, more like he was just getting up in his face.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Only saw one replay of the sending off but it definitely looked harsh

I'm no fan of Spurs but headbutting a lad while the ball is dead is a sending off!

The playacting from Vertonghen a couple of seconds later seems just to be an element of the game, whether players think it draws the ref's attention or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Vertonghen milked it, no doubt, but if you look at the camera angle from the side you will see that Vertonghen didn't move an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

I'm no fan of Spurs but headbutting a lad while the ball is dead is a sending off!

The playacting from Vertonghen a couple of seconds later seems just to be an element of the game, whether players think it draws the ref's attention or what.

If you could call that a headbutt, Vertonghen initiated the altercation with a 'body check' and should have been given his marching orders as well.

If you could call that a headbutt, Vertonghen initiated the altercation with a 'body check' and should have been given his marching orders as well.
    :confused:

Soldado just cannot score.

This does not look like a headbutt to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

:confused:

Soldado just cannot score.

Vertonghen moved towards your man and shoved him, the other lad flinched while moving his head forward. Vertonghen initiated it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Well as I said above it looked like both of them leaned towards each other with their heads and as soon as verthongen felt the other players head brush off his he dropped to the ground and rolled . He was a lucky boy that his team mates held the Dnipro player back .

The video is showing the wrong camera angle. If you at the angle from Vertonghen's side in the replay, you will see that Vertonghen moved across the other player.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This does not look like a headbutt to me.
    Thanks for that. If you watch the Dnipro player you'll clearly see him put his head into Vertonghen's face. That's what a headbut is.

What you're saying is that if I see someone coming towards me and swing a punch, it's not really a punch because they walked into my fist. I definitely don't think the person who walks into my fist deserves a red card either, in case that was unclear.

Thanks for that. If you watch the Dnipro player you'll clearly see him put his head into Vertonghen's face. That's what a headbut is.

What you're saying is that if I see someone coming towards me and swing a punch, it's not really a punch because they walked into my fist. I definitely don't think the person who walks into my fist deserves a red card either, in case that was unclear.

I wonder if i'm watching the same clip here, but to me it looks as if his body is pushed back first by Vertonghen, and he decides to stand his ground.
    The motion that has him go onto his back foot also makes his head raise slightly.

To call that a headbutt is laughable.

If you had your arm stretched out with a fist clenched, and a person walked into you pushing towards the lower part of your body so that it moved backwards, making the fist 'hit' them, well then I wouldn't say you punched them, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pathetic from Vertonghen, he has previous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

AdamD wrote: »
    Pathetic from Vertonghen, he has previous too.

what previous would that be?:confused:

davycc wrote: »
    what previous would that be?:confused:

I believe it was Chelsea earlier in the season he decided to roll around holding his face after being hit in the shoulder by Torres.

I'm really not bothered arguing the point any further. It was a headbut and a red card. Vertonghen probably started the aggro and definitely made a meal of it.

http://twitpic.com/dwudt1/full - slower and different angle. To me, that's a gif of a man putting his forehead into another man's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Blatant headbutt. Jan provoked it maybe but cannot spell D player took the bait and was rightly sent off. His own fault really. Coy and sly of Vertonghen but that's irrelevant.

Spurs were awful. Still not convinced the Sherwood is a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I believe it was Chelsea earlier in the season he decided to roll around holding his face after being hit in the shoulder by Torres.

The incident where Torres purposley gouged his face?

was a fair enough good old centre forward/centre back tussle going on up til that stage and torres crossed the line and got a red.. Jan did feck all wrong tbh...the only person who blamed jan was maurinho who deflects attention away from torres and his bs media chums lapped it up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Watched a replay of the Napoli Swansea game late last night. Was very a very good game.

Swansea really missed Britton. It's amazing how well Napoli pressed, it's crazy how hard a Benitez team can be to play against. I think Swansea made life even more difficult for themselves by playing too direct. When they got the ball into good positions in midfield they nearly always looked to spring forward from there instead of just settling down to dominate possession for a bit and squeeze the life out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Every player would have done the same as Jan, there was contact and it was a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 32 Results
    Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) 3 V 1 FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) (Agg 3-2)
    FC Rubin Kazan (RUS) 0 V 2 Real Betis Balompié (ESP) (Agg 1-3)
    SSC Napoli (ITA) 3 V 1 Swansea City AFC (ENG) (Agg 3-1)
    Trabzonspor AS (TUR) 0 V 2 Juventus (ITA) (Agg 0-4)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) 2 V 1 NK Maribor (SVN) (Agg 4-3)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 1 V 2 FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) (Agg 2-3)
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 1 V 0 FC Chornomorets Odesa (UKR) (Agg 1-0)
    PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) 3 V 3 SS Lazio (ITA) (Agg 4-3)
    ACF Fiorentina (ITA) 1 V 1 Esbjerg fB (DEN) (Agg 4-2)
    FC Salzburg (AUT) 3 V 1 AFC Ajax (NED) (Agg 6-1)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI) 3 V 0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) (Agg 3-0)
    Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) 3 V 3 FC Porto (POR) (Agg 5-5) FC Porto (POR) win on Away goals
    KRC Genk (BEL) 0 V 2 FC Anji Makhachkala (RUS) (Agg 0-2)
    Valencia CF (ESP) 0 V 0 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) (Agg 2-0)
    SL Benfica (POR) 3 V 0 PAOK FC (GRE) (Agg 4-0)
    AZ Alkmaar (NED) 1 V 1 FC Slovan Liberec (CZE) (Agg 2-1)

Round of 16 draw
    AZ Alkmaar (NED) V FC Anji Makhachkala (RUS)
    PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) V Valencia CF (ESP)
    FC Porto (POR) V SSC Napoli (ITA)
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) V FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) V Real Betis Balompié (ESP)
    Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) V SL Benfica (POR)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI) V FC Salzburg (AUT)
    Juventus (ITA) V ACF Fiorentina (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some nice ties there. Interesting to see see an all Spanish affair and an all Italian match. Must be honest, I've never heard of Ludogratz, anyone know anything about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some nice ties there. Interesting to see see an all Spanish affair and an all Italian match. Must be honest, I've never heard of Ludogratz, anyone know anything about them?

A Seville derby and a grudge match between Fiorentina and Juventus. Should be some cracking matches.
    Ludogorets are Bulgarian. They got through to the last qualifier round of the Champions League before Basel knocked them out. They won their Europa League group and knocked out Lazio. Top of the Bulgarian League atm. They have a few Brazilian players and their top scorer is Slovenian. None of the players names rung a bell anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kksaints wrote: »
    A Seville derby and a grudge match between Fiorentina and Juventus. Should be some cracking matches.
    Ludogorets are Bulgarian. They got through to the last qualifier round of the Champions League before Basel knocked them out. They won their Europa League group and knocked out Lazio. Top of the Bulgarian League atm. They have a few Brazilian players and their top scorer is Slovenian. None of the players names rung a bell anyway.
    Only formed in 2001, 6000 seater stadium. Their manager who brought them to the top division and the treble and qualification is only 38 but has left for some reason. Seems a controversial figure, his name is Ivaylo Petev.

Their new manager is Syoycho Stoev, they did ok in the ECL and are currently top of the Bulgarian league. Seems they were taken over by a local businessman a couple of years back. I don't know how much he is worth but he seems to be worth quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Porto v Napoli, this evening's early game on ITV 4 now.

All Porto so far, Eduardo has had a goal incorrectly disallowed for offside. Martinéz has also forced a world class save out of Pepe Reina.

Brendan Rogers would probably call it a top, top, top save.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a pity so many of these games are played in half empty (at least) grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Napoli pass up three good chances and Martinez scores with a half volley at the other end. Porto should see it out from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Juve vs Fiorentina should be good fun at 8 on Setanta Ireland.
    Looking forward to them ties more than any games in europe the next fortnite.

Nice goal from Rodrigo, good pace and finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Lovely assist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

yeah class goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anybody watching the Seville derby?

Betis winning one nil away and Gameiro just missed a sitter for Sevilla!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

2-0 Betis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

1-1 in Turin, big away goal & well taken by Mario Gomez. Good game but the equalizer was a bit out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Spurs & Sherwood are sunk!

1-3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

oooohh man it's getting ugly at White Hart Lane - benfica with 3 away goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Eriksen scored a worldy of a free to make it 2-1 to benfica but theyve just scored a 3rd, luisao with a cannon of a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Gus from breaking bad on the coaching staff of Benfica now.

Results for last night

AZ Alkmaar (NED) 1 V 0 FC Anji Makhachkala (RUS)
    PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) 0 V 3 Valencia CF (ESP)
    FC Porto (POR) 1 V 0 SSC Napoli (ITA)
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 4 V 1 FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) 0 V 2 Real Betis Balompié (ESP)
    Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) 1 V 3 SL Benfica (POR)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI) 0 V 0 FC Salzburg (AUT)
    Juventus (ITA) 1 V 1 ACF Fiorentina (ITA)

Tonights games

FC Anji Makhachkala (RUS) V AZ Alkmaar (NED) (Agg 1-0)
    Valencia CF (ESP) V PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) (Agg 3-0)
    SSC Napoli (ITA) V FC Porto (POR) (Agg 0-1)
    FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) V Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) (Agg 1-4)
    Real Betis Balompié (ESP) V Sevilla FC (ESP) (Agg 2-0)
    SL Benfica (POR) V Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) (Agg 3-1)
    FC Salzburg (AUT) V FC Basel 1893 (SUI) (Agg 0-0)
    ACF Fiorentina (ITA) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 1-1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Building towards a decent lineup for the quarters. Hope Napoli can conjure a performance tonight.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

4f0f7c85e7ab1228aeb4432f0d785d89.png

Eriksen on the bench for Spurs.
    Rodrigo on the bench for Benfica.

__

Garay scores, Benfica 1-0

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

And Anzhi's journey into the abyss is all but complete.

Juve heading out as things stand.

Spurs on the edge of dragging the tie to extra time.

WTF - Spurs nearly level for the tie.

What a dive

Should have been a pen for Spurs.

Very easy, but Spurs have chance to punt this in.

Should have scored

• Advertisement

Oh dear - insult added to injury.

Advertisement