Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong conveyancing advise

Options
  • 24-06-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was lucky enough to find a buyer for my house in the current market, but when buyers solicitor did the normal conveyancing they discovered that the boundries are wrong and part of the land is registered to someone else. I bought this house approx. 10 years ago after a solicitor assured me that everything was in order,( ie land registry etc.)
    I'm now stuck with a property that has only half the land I originally purchased and buyer understandably has withdrawn her offer. What recourse have I with the original solicitor that did the conveyancing and handled sale
    TIA
    PB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Cant give legal advice - speak to a solicitor ASAP and don't broadcast that you didn't know exactly what was going on. A solution might be forth coming in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You'll need to look further into this. Was it a mapping error? About 6-7 years ago the country was digitally mapped (mpre relevant to housing estates than streets or country houses perhaps) and the land registry maps were drawn up from that. I bought a 1999 house in 2008 and the map was wrong - instead of being a squared off plot, it was more of a trapezoid as the computer which analysed the aerial photos, decided that a wedge of shrubbery marked the boundary rather than the boundary wall. I had to get it scoped out and a complaint made to the registry. It was resolved in 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

patb wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to find a buyer for my house in the current market, but when buyers solicitor did the normal conveyancing they discovered that the boundries are wrong and part of the land is registered to someone else. I bought this house approx. 10 years ago after a solicitor assured me that everything was in order,( ie land registry etc.)
    I'm now stuck with a property that has only half the land I originally purchased and buyer understandably has withdrawn her offer. What recourse have I with the original solicitor that did the conveyancing and handled sale
    TIA
    PB

Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

patb wrote: »
    TIA
    PB

Did you get an engineer to check the boundaries before you bought the property?

Advertisement