Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on video production for new business

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i wasn't sure if i should put it in the video editing or entrepreneurial section.

My question is in relation to a small business i want to start up. Iv studied motion graphics and 3d for some time and over the past year iv got more involved with film. Iv short 3 short movies with friends and have gain some experience with video and editing. My problem is that although i know the technicalities of creating a video, from shooting footage to editing and color correction ect i havent a clue about the legal side of things or really the logistical side of creating the content.

I would like to set up a small studio to produce video and motion graphics work but my fear peaks when i think about having to venture outside of the office. I mean how do i carry out such tasks as aqquiring locations to shoot in or figuring out the type of insurance cover ill need? Granted some of my content will be created completly in house, such as the motion graphics, 3d work or greenscreen footage, but for the possibly bigger budget projects id like to be able to navigate the logistical hurdles without too much heartache.

My main questions would be this:

1) What type of insurance would i need to be able to shoot video in public or on private grounds?

2) Is there any resources to help with finding various locations to shoot in? (if the project requires such things)

3) Does anyone know any good resources that discuss the process of creating commercial pieces?

Thanks for any help of advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The guerilla filmmakers handbook covers many of these topics. for the most part the book is interviews with people in the different roles of filmmaking but he covers insurance and planning.

I'd say if you're looking for locations it may be worth enquiring with photographers. They go out in social clubs and would have a comprehensive list of locations I'd say.

Advertisement