Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not receiving discount

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I am surprised that the discount I normally received  on my bill was not applied.I did not receive any
    prior correspondence or warning of same.

Is it company policy not to inform one of changes. DB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi De Bellem,

When customers sign up to an Electric Ireland discount package, they are advised of the expiry date of their price plan as part of the terms and conditions which must be agreed to before sign-up is processed.
    The welcome pack issued following the sign-up would have stated these details also.

If you would like us to apply a new price-plan, do private message us your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

Hi Una/Electric Ireland

The package which  I  signed up to was done within the first year the company added gas to electricity.

My initial 12 month contact is long finished which at the time meant  I could not switch supplier 
    within that period. 

I  am certain I was never given an expiry date for renewal  of same  so you can understand my surprise

when  the latest  bill  did not contain the discount  that I had  received for  2 or 3 years  since  signing up.

It seems to me that  loyalty does not count anymore  and I wonder who really gains  by shifting the sands,

and changing the rules/tariffs.  Why if its not broken...........           

DB

Hi again De Bellem,

We regret that you are unhappy with your customer experience. Electric Ireland was able to bring in discounts and offer gas from the start of April 2011 and it has always been the case that the discount package has an expiration - the first one being after 12 months (31st March 2012). A welcome pack used to be posted to all customers, advising of the date. In recent times the welcome documentation is emailed, rather than posted, to those customers for whom we have an email address.

The discounts change all the time based on the market, and every time there is a different discount structure, it is required that customers are agreeable to the terms and conditions of the contract.

If a customer signs up to a price-plan now, the expiry date will be 30th June 2014. Do let us know if you are interested.

Regards,
    Una

There are times when I feel  like screaming and its now.  If I am to receive a discounted bill I must first sign 
    up to online billing or direct debit. But  I dont want on -line billing  and I dont want direct debit. I have always paid my bills in full
    and on time.   SURELY that counts for a discount / an un blemished record over the decades.. No that doesent count at all
     And I know the stock reply  will be trotted out again........like flogging a dead horse.... I  thought the customer was always right   and that loyalty counted for something 

And if I want to contact to any body about my situation there is no one to contact besides the customer service no. But its not a customer
    sercice is it when  all  one gets is  something about terms, conditions and contracts. and of course take it or leave it.   Well thats a thought?

I know I will get the same standard reply as before.  Its like at McDONALDS I  know it will be the same every time. 

That is not looking after the customer and  besides even If I wanted to make 
    a complaint I would  have to ring the same number as customer service. Is it a case of going round in circles or circling the wagons

Some body some where is making changes /decisions and like  everything these days  they seem to look great on a balance sheet/ advert offer
    but are also  very inflexible Because when I do check out the other companies will they be any different. Of course not . Its just being available
    at the right time for the right offer....... OH I forget about the 12 month contract . Soyour electricity is determined by chance and is not customer 
       friendly or Flexible 
        "Falling Down" comes to mind

Here I am  minutes before that morning menu ends folks and all I want is just a hamburger, a paper bill and a discount.
    I would have loved to have had a discount with my paper bill

So to all at electric Ireland..  and their policy makers .....   Have a nice day!

Good afternoon De Bellem,

Could you private message your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth? We are here until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

Rang Electric Ireland this morning and just to confirm:

Even as a longtime customer who pays his bill in full and is not in arrears the application of discounts only applies if you sign up and pay only by direct debit?

Hi Kooga,

This is correct in relation to the 4%. There is also 2% for having online billing (eliminating paper bills).

Here is the link for registering online billing.

Do let us know here or by private message if you would like further assistance.

Regards,
    Una

kooga wrote: »
    Rang Electric Ireland this morning and just to confirm:

Even as a longtime customer who pays his bill in full and is not in arrears the application of discounts only applies if you sign up and pay only by direct debit?

I have already let my feelings be known on this  situation and.I have not made a final decision yet. All is not lost  and so? I now strongly recommend  and urge everyone who has the option to review their utility providers  to do so and to check out Uswitch.ie  before comitting to anyone in order to get the best deal suited to  their needs. DB

De Bellem wrote: »
    I have already let my feelings be known on this  situation and.I have not made a final decision yet. All is not lost  and so? I now strongly recommend  and urge everyone who has the option to review their utility providers  to do so and to check out Uswitch.ie  before comitting to anyone in order to get the best deal suited to  their needs. DB
    I got a pM back from electric ireland. As a customer paying electronically i should of got the 2% discount this was never applied. having brought it to their attention they do not retro apply it.

Anyway decided to move to another provider and out of spite sign up for a DD as Electric Ireland would appear do not value existing customers..........in addition if i did avail of the 2% it would be a new contract with a €50 penalty if i opted out!

Good afternoon,

The 2% discount is for receiving statements by email, and the payment discount of 4% is for paying by direct debit.

We are unable to apply discounts without the customer agreeing to the terms, so we cannot do so automatically. It is required that customers contact us to avail of price plan discounts.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Good afternoon,

The 2% discount is for receiving statements by email, and the payment discount of 4% is for paying by direct debit.

We are unable to apply discounts without the customer agreeing to the terms, so we cannot do so automatically. It is required that customers contact us to avail of price plan discounts.

Regards,
    Una
    Una i contacted you today and PM you as i heard here on boards the suite of discounts available, unfortunately even though i receive my bill electronically and have done so for a considerable length of time, Electric Ireland didn't feel the need to say as a customer to me you can get a 2% discount by paying your bill electronically.

Nor as a gesture of good will will you credit a customer who brings this to your attention retrospectively. So why bother with electric Ireland, when you can switch and have the red carpet rolled out as a new customer elsewhere!

kooga wrote: »
    I got a pM back from electric ireland. As a customer paying electronically i should of got the 2% discount this was never applied. having brought it to their attention they do not retro apply it.

Anyway decided to move to another provider and out of spite sign up for a DD as Electric Ireland would appear do not value existing customers..........in addition if i did avail of the 2% it would be a new contract with a €50 penalty if i opted out!
    HI   Kooga

There comes a time when the only way to  stop what I call  discrimination to loyal customers  is to take ones custom else where. 
    If enough question this situation the better for all and of course the final option of moving to a more considerate company on mass
    could work wonders. Db

Hi again folks,

Once again, we regret that you are dissatisfied with your customer experience. Direct debit and online billing save on certain costs, which can be returned to the customer in the form of discounts.

We offer gas also, and customers who are with us for both electricity and gas can avail of up to 10% discount on each fuel once they pay by direct debit. We would be happy to assist in this regard by private message.

Regards,
    Una

Does direct  Debit save the customerup to 10% ?  What about bank fees/ Charges , transaction fees, interest rates etc
    which the customer must bear in order to receive that discount Db.

Hi De Bellem,

If gas would be an option, my colleagues in Sales have clarified that existing electricity customers who register with Electric Ireland for gas can avail of a 4% discount on each fuel or 8% on the gas alone, without requiring direct debit/online billing.

Regards,
    Una

Ok Una 

I read the post.  Very interesting .

I have  a few questions for you .

You say (Electric Ireland )  that any offer that is  taken up now will end in September  2014.  

So  If someone takes up the offer of both gas and electricity, direct debit and electronic billing what discount will they

receive?  

Now lets say all goes well ,  what happens when  October 2014  comes around  

The contract  has now ended ( September 2014  )  and so  here I am not getting a discount or under any contract anymore

Now will my bill return to the paper one I had before my contract  started and does the direct debit instruction end also

because as  such I am not under  a  contract or receiving any discount from ElectricI reland anymore .

Where do I stand  October 2014  

On another but kinda  personal note Electric Ireland have e mailed me after every post.              WHY?   

It should be my choice to conduct any correspondence in public and for you to reply in a  similar fashion. If e mailing   the person after
      a post is a  normal  extra on your site then OK

BUT I  dont know this and  so I am asking you ( EI)  is this standard procedure and generally done. If so Why? 

As I am discussing all maters relating to the topic publicly I contend all replies  should  be the same unless I take up your public offer 
    to make contact  privately.

I await clarification

Whats the norm? Any Mods coming across this post let me know whats the usual / accepted practice

DB

De Bellem wrote: »
    Ok Una

I read the post. Very interesting .

I have a few questions for you .

You say (Electric Ireland ) that any offer that is taken up now will end in September 2014.

So If someone takes up the offer of both gas and electricity, direct debit and electronic billing what discount will they

receive?

Now lets say all goes well , what happens when October 2014 comes around

The contract has now ended ( September 2014 ) and so here I am not getting a discount or under any contract anymore

Now will my bill return to the paper one I had before my contract started and does the direct debit instruction end also

because as such I am not under a contract or receiving any discount from ElectricI reland anymore .

Where do I stand October 2014

On another but kinda personal note Electric Ireland have e mailed me after every post. WHY?

It should be my choice to conduct any correspondence in public and for you to reply in a similar fashion. If e mailing the person after
    a post is a normal extra on your site then OK

BUT I dont know this and so I am asking you ( EI) is this standard procedure and generally done. If so Why?

As I am discussing all maters relating to the topic publicly I contend all replies should be the same unless I take up your public offer
    to make contact privately.

I await clarification

Whats the norm? Any Mods coming across this post let me know whats the usual / accepted practice

DB
    Hi again De Bellem,

An existing electricity customer with Electric Ireland who signs up to gas with us and direct debit/online billing is eligible for a 10% discount on each fuel (applied to total units used): 4% on each fuel for direct debit, 2% on each fuel for online billing, 4% on each fuel for opting for Dual Fuel.

A customer who signs up for gas and does not sign up for direct debit/online billing can avail of a 4% discount on each fuel for becoming a Dual Fuel customer.

When a customer's discount package for direct debit/online billing expires, they remain on direct debit and online billing. There is no facility for these to be removed automatically and we would require an instruction from the customer to discontinue them manually. Customers are advised over the telephone and in writing as to the expiry date of their discounts package, and we recommend that they note a reminder, e.g. on their email/smartphone, to contact us to have a new price-plan applied (for which we require agreement to the terms and conditions beforehand) when the previous one expires.

In relation to your query regarding emails: have you sent any emails to Electric Ireland? Because that is the only way we would have your email address, and our email department is a separate one to this department, which deals with Boards.ie and queries on other social media. Could you advise as to what the contents of the emails are?

Regards,
    Una

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

...When a customer's discount package for direct debit/online billing expires, they remain on direct debit and online billing. There is no facility for these to be removed automatically and we would require an instruction from the customer to discontinue them manually.
    Customers are advised over the telephone and in writing as to the expiry date of their discounts package, and we recommend that they note a reminder, e.g. on their email/smartphone, to contact us to have a new price-plan applied (for which we require agreement to the terms and conditions beforehand) when the previous one expires.
    Some observations:
    when a discount package is about to end a reminder could be printed on the final invoice of the package period.
    If the computer can 'remember' to stop the discount, then a reminder should be no problem.
    Also, because the direct debit etc. remains active then surely the discount could also remain active. That, of course, would mean the customer would not be 'tied' to you whilst still enjoying discount.
    Okay, as a gesture of goodwill to 'valued customers' the discount could be cut by 50% until the package is renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Auld-Yin,

Thank you for your feedback, I'll certainly note your comments and pass them on for consideration to the relevant department. Currently, we do not have the facility to send reminders to our customer's regarding the end date of their price plan and discounts, but customers can make an enquiry at any time as to the plan in place on their account and to make sure that they are receiving the greatest discount possible for them.

If you have any queries about the price plan which is in place on your account in the future, we will be happy to look into this for you.

Kind regards,

Aoife

Advertisement