Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell if a cat is too thin?

• 24-06-2013 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

We came across a cat in an overgrown park/wood a few metres from an apartment complex on Saturday. I passed through there a couple of hours ago and he was in the same spot under a tree. He is very young and friendly but seems very thin. On Saturday he trotted up to us to be petted and we weren't sure if he belonged to someone or not. He/she has had their tail amputated to a very short stub, looks to have been done surgically and done a long time ago as its all healed up.

Today he came trotting up to me and since I'd just been to the supermarket I'd a big pack of wafer chicken with me. He was grabbing it out of my hand in chunks and wolfing it down. There was nobody around for me to ask about him. Now it's a very long time since we had a very young cat so it's hard to judge if he's underweight. His rib cage isn't visible but his waist is very defined and his hips seem very prominent. Other than that his fur is in good condition.

I've seen notices up in the nearby town centre over the past few months where people who've been emigrating have been trying to rehome cats so I'm not sure if this chap has been left behind or not. I'm kind of at a loss what to do about him really. He did seem very hungry though so for now I'm just going to go and check on him each day and bring some food for him. He or she is so petite I wouldn't like to see them lose any more weight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I find this a really good chart for telling cats weights. Can be done easily without upsetting the cat by too much handling! Is there anyway you could catch this cat and bring it to the vets? If his tail was surgically amputated they may remember doing it and could know the owners, I know it's a long shot but maybe it could be worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

From my experience cats only eat when they are hungry and once they are full up they stop. The fact that this cat eat the food you provided very quickly would tell me that it was very hungry. A well fed cat does not usually have a defined waist or show the shape of any of it's bones.

If you are going to feed it each day and it eats all the food then I would think it was not being fed elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Where he was isn't far from the communal bin area. I called my Dad and I tried to get puss in the car but he panicked and scratched my lip and took off. Mr P brought the cat carrier down and managed to get him in but he dashed out of the carrier before he could zip it up, my lip was bleeding too much to be of any use. So for now all we can do is feed him. I'll go back at the same time tomorrow and feed him. I just don't want to be stealing someone's cat accidentally. Tbh if it wasn't for the amputated tail I honestly would think he was a stray.

There are so many strays in that general area though. Mr P got the hand scratched off him too so we both stink of tcp spray plaster:rolleyes: He's very friendly until you pick him up then again I prefer to see a cat with a wariness of people.

Advertisement