Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a le creuset griddle pan.

Options
  • 24-06-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I got one of these last Christmas it is a lovely piece of equipment but it annoys the hell out of me. If i cook steak i get it nice and hot and when i go to turn them the are stuck to the pan and when i turn them it leaves pieces stuck to the pan. The other night i had lovely chicken fillets i put them skin side down and when i turned them all the skin had stuck and it all pulled off the breast. I use olive oil and heat the pan at number 4 out of 1-6,what am i doing wrong?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's bad I was thinking of forking out for one of them there about €100 in one of the local places, i've a tefal griddle pan that cost about €20 and i've no problem with food sticking, the pan is well burnt at this stage but it's still cooking well. Might give the le creuset a skip.
    One thing with the griddle pan though is I have the heat at maximum no matter what i'm cooking and it always works perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't use a le creuset, but I do have a griddle pan, cast iron. Stuff catches a little bit, but doesn't get welded on.

Sounds a bit like like your pan is not seasoned. Google 'Seasoning a cast iron pan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I have a Le Creuset enameled griddle pan with the black lining. They can't be used at the same temperature as a griddle pan that's just plain cast iron, and they definitely shouldn't be put straight on a high heat. Medium heat (3 on a 1 - 6 range) from cold for 10 - 15 minutes will get it about right and nothing will stick to it. Seasoning it with vegetable or sunflower oil would also help, if you haven't already. Olive oil burns at a much lower temperature than other oils, so maybe try rapeseed or similar high smoke point oil for cooking on the griddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Thanks guys, i never heard of seasoning cast iron before,it was probably in the instructions but as i am a man i don't read them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jh111

I have a La Cuisine grill pan and these are the things to do.

1. oil the food not the pan (use pastry brush) use oil with a high flash point. ie olive oil has low flash point so starts smoking when it heats slightly. rapeseed oil, sunflower oil has higher flash point. Good to prevent smoky kitchen.

2. heat the grill pan (without oil) this is important for the sticking bit.

3. When hot place the lightly oiled food on the pan.

4. When you try to turn it and it is stuck this just means the char lines have not formed on the food. Wait. Once the char lines have formed on the food it will lift itself off.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I have one and agree the above post: oil the food not the pan!! Love my griddle pan, best steaks ever :-) The are pricey though, used a present voucher to buy it, not sure I would have parted with the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's worth pointing out that you only need a very small amount of oil too, just a really thin coating. You want the food to grill, not shallow fry!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Waiting longer before you turn the food is the key. Don't be hasty; if it looks like it is sticking, give it another minute or two and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Love cast iron griddles, but don't love my le creusot one (non stick) if anyone wants to swap my griddle for a le creusot skillet let me know :) ....
    I agree about oiling the food,not the pan,make sure pan up to temp before putting meat on.... Don't try turning meat strAight away.... Not sure is there any point seasoning a non stick pan, we used to use salt to season a cast pan , cover the base in salt, put on the heat, slowly build the heat up, stir it a bit with a wooden spoon, bout it really ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement