Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I pay VAT on 1% stamp duty?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

asking this as i recieved break down of solicitor fees today and need some advice please..................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jpd85

Short answer is no.

Stamp duty is a tax so no vat applies. Vat should only apply to the professional fees he charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

i am assuming land register fees is stamp duty is this correct?? that is how its worded on solicitors break down of costs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No land register fees are the charge for checking the land register

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

ok thanks got solicitor fee of 2400 thought this must include stamp duty as house value is only 73000 and this fee is more than i thought it would be assumed 1500 is 2400 good or bad ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No VAT on stamp duty; the solicitor should separate out the items which carry VAT (including certain outlays) and those which do not. Whether it's a decent price will include lots of factors such as whether it's a first registration or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement