Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I convert a personal current a/c to a joint a/c?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've had a personal current account with the Bank of Ireland for several years. My wages and direct debits are all paid into & out of this account.

Can I 'convert' this to a joint current account? I want to add my spouse so they have full access to the account and via their own ATM/Debit card.

Can this be done by my spouse completing new account documentation?

I don't want to open a whole new joint account, then have the hassle of moving salaries and direct debits whilst being charged two sets of account fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

No you can't make a sole account joint unfortunately, have to open a new joint account & move everything from the old account to the new one, not what you wanted to hear I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula H

Hi Bernard

Unfortunately a sole account cannot be converted to a jointaccount.

You can open a joint account and the branch can arrange theswitch over of direct debits and any other automated payments you may have setup on your sole account. They can time the switch to ensure that two direct debits are not paid to the same company.

All you need to do is contact your branch to make anappointment and they will guide you all the way.
    You can find your branch details here

Thanks for posting.

Paula H

Advertisement