Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough Vaccine

• 24-06-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced vet to get the Kennel Cough Vaccine (KC)? We have two dogs and our own vet is quoting €95 (€5 discount as we have two dogs). Seems a little expensive. We are based in Dublin.

They do offer a cheaper option if you are getting the booster as well (€65 for KC and booster), but they both have their boosters.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is 95 for the 2 dogs? Is that along with boosters? If so that's very good price for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

No - it is €95 for 2 dogs for just KC

OR

€130 for 2 dogs for booster and KC (which we do not need)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'd def ring around as that seems quite dear. What area are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My goodness, where in Dublin are you? You are being taken for an absolute ride with that.

Based in Dublin 15, our vet is in Blanchardstown, don't want to give the name as generally they are very good, just thought this was a bit dear.

We are willing to travel is anyone can recommend somewhere more reasonable.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

stickybean wrote: »
    Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced vet to get the Kennel Cough Vaccine (KC)? We have two dogs and our own vet is quoting €95 (€5 discount as we have two dogs). Seems a little expensive. We are based in Dublin.

They do offer a cheaper option if you are getting the booster as well (€65 for KC and booster), but they both have their boosters.

Thanks
    Try Frances Harvey in Slane village,,, a lot cheaper,,, wud justife the trip,, find out about her on APDT.ie

Thanks for the help guys, found another Vet in Blanchardstown, not sure if it is okay to name them, but they charge €40 per dog but 10% of for two dogs, so it is working out at €72 and it's right beside me.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

stickybean wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys, found another Vet in Blanchardstown, not sure if it is okay to name them, but they charge €40 per dog but 10% of for two dogs, so it is working out at €72 and it's right beside me.

Thanks again!

More reasonable. Still costly, but 20e difference is a lot these days. Just shows it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Mine was €40 as well, mind you he did get a bit of kennel cough 2 months later so it's not foolproof!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

KC in my vets is €12 per dog. Booster vaccinations are €30 for the first dog and €10 for every other dog. That is a massive rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I got KC vaccine, booster, worming tablet and ointment for my dog yesterday for €75 in a vet in Clontarf. He is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sharstep

Where can I buy the vaccine
    Friend has experience with animals
    And can administer dose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Sharstep wrote: »
    Where can I buy the vaccine
    Friend has experience with animals
    And can administer dose

Doesn't really work that way ...

In order for the Kennels / Dog Show / Vet to reliably know that your pet has been properly vaccinated / inoculated the issue of traceability arises.

Reputable Pharmaceutical manufactures Vaccine & numbers each dose
    Vet buys supply of numbered traceable Vaccines
    Vet administers numbered traceable Vaccine to your pet
    Vet provides you with a copy of the Vaccine number
    Kennel / Dog Show etc see number & evidence that Pet has had a dosage of a numbered, traceable & tested Vaccine.

By not using a Vet, you're breaking the line of traceability and that's why Kennels & Dog Shows etc only accept Veterinarian administered Vaccinations.

The other, often overlooked thing is that with an otherwise healthy animal the only time your Vet gets to see your pet is at their Annual Vax / KC time.
    Vets therefore should also take the time to check over your pet.
    This is what the 'Consultation' fee is charged for.

Advertisement