Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import duty on Forestry/Farm machinery?

• 24-06-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone here has ever imported any Farm or Forestry machinery from the UK?
    I can not figure out if Irish VAT or any other duty is charged to the person importing the item.
    Would it help if you had a VAT receipt from the UK seller.
    I've been tempted to bid on an item on E bay now and again but was unsure of this process especially as alot of the Sellers would be Cash only and wouldn't be giving a VAT receipt.
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

howsshenow wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone here has ever imported any Farm or Forestry machinery from the UK?
    I can not figure out if Irish VAT or any other duty is charged to the person importing the item.
    Would it help if you had a VAT receipt from the UK seller.
    I've been tempted to bid on an item on E bay now and again but was unsure of this process especially as alot of the Sellers would be Cash only and wouldn't be giving a VAT receipt.
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Will the machine be registered in ireland ???
    To register a machine in ireland VAT will have to be paid. If you pay vat in a EU country you shouldnt have to pay it here but when registering the revenue may look for the extra few percent as we have a higher vat rate.
    If you pay cash like through ebay , you should be able to show the ebay/paypal invoice and then pay the vat on top of that to the irish revenue.

If its machinery for the back of a tractor, you shouldnt be caught for VAT at eithre end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Hi 9935452,
    Thanks for your reply on this issue which I thought would be far more topical.

I agree that if VAT has been paid in another EU Country I shouldn't have to pay any VAT here.

As for "will the machine be registered in Ireland" - I would say no as it wouldn't be self propelled like a Tractor or Car etc. I was looking at possibly importing a Winch or Forestry trailer with a crane etc.

I agree that if I pay cash, the Customs/Revenue would calculate a VAT amount to be paid.
    Problem is, if I imported something by courier on a pallet or by a haulier on the back of a lorry, VAT would probably have to be paid at the point of entry by the driver / courier further complicating the transaction for me ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

howsshenow wrote: »
    Hi 9935452,
    Thanks for your reply on this issue which I thought would be far more topical.

I agree that if VAT has been paid in another EU Country I shouldn't have to pay any VAT here.

As for "will the machine be registered in Ireland" - I would say no as it wouldn't be self propelled like a Tractor or Car etc. I was looking at possibly importing a Winch or Forestry trailer with a crane etc.

I agree that if I pay cash, the Customs/Revenue would calculate a VAT amount to be paid.
    Problem is, if I imported something by courier on a pallet or by a haulier on the back of a lorry, VAT would probably have to be paid at the point of entry by the driver / courier further complicating the transaction for me ???[/QUOTE

Ive bought a few things from england . ive got couriers to bring them home on pallets and havent been caught for paying VAT or duty.
    i would give it a lash and would be 99percent sure you will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Thanks again, Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

<Only advice that isn't breaking any rules are allowed on this public forum
    Text speak doesn't help you either>

• Advertisement
Advertisement