Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dot ie domain rule

Options
  • 24-06-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I want to register a .ie domain for a website I want to build. Initially the website will not make any money but in the future if its any way successful I will want to put advertising on it, adsense or other.
    My question is, can I register the domain under non commercial or will I have to register a business name and register a commercial domain?
    Or is it possible to change the non commercial domain to a commercial one in the future, if I want to register a business name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

if i remember correctly you are asked to describe your organisation personal domain, sole trader, limited company, unincorporated something or other. I'm not sure that it matters.

When you apply you are asked to give an explanation as to your connection to ireland so if you life here, no problem, you are an irish person wishing to create the following website what you do with it after that I think is your business.

they are not as restrictive as they used to be. boards had to register as a company before they were allowed to get the boards.ie doamin name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

They ask for "supporting documentation" on headed paper to prove that you have a rightful claim to the domain name.

If you have a registered business name you only need to give them your registration number (it only costs €20 to register a business name online).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If it's not commercial your best bet is to go for a discretionary domain name, no need to register with CRO or the like.

You will need supporting documentation or be able to demonstrate that you have already put work into the site.

Say you were looking to register CarefulNow.ie as a community website for people who really did need to be 'careful now', your supporting documentation could be a screenshot of your carefulNow.ie website design. The entire process is usually complete within a couple of hours (during office hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Cheers for the help lads. Bought the domain so will see what happens tomorrow.

Advertisement