Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees when buying a house - how much?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

buying a house value is 73000, got solicitor fees of 2400 is this good or bad?? i feel its a bit expensive from what i have read in other posts just looking for opinions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I paid 1600 but it was through a friend but I do remember it was averaging around 2200. That was a few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

My wife and I are in process of purchasing for 165k and our legal fees are 1900e. Ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the €2400 include, it should include your Stamp duty of €730 and

Land Registry fee on deed of transfer

Land Registry fee on Mortgage

Law searches

Commissioner of Oaths

Then you'll have the solicitors fee itself.

If there covering all the above for €2400 your doing ok, also check does the €2400 include vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

ya thought this seemed a bit dear, will it hold things up changing solicitor with the bank do ya think or had ye got your quotes befoe hand??

it is as follows

misc outlays €55

Vat on professional fee and misc outlays at 23% €254.15

land registry fees of€890.00

Commissioner for oats fees of €20.00

search fees of €85.00

professional fees of €1050.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bucky08 wrote: »
    it is as follows

misc outlays €55

search fees of €85.00

So they are only charging you €1050.00. The search fees, swearing fees and Land Registry fees cannot be avoided. Thats about what is normally charged. If not a little less than usual.

just wondering so when people say they got charged 1500 did that figure not include all the charges???

is 1900 the complete fee or just the professional fee??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

just wondering so when people say they got charged 1500 did that figure not include all the charges???

Yes, the other charges such as land registry and Stamp Duty are not legal fees as such. You got a good deal I'd say.

thanks for the reply that clears that up for me so thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every single solicitor locally (that I asked) charges €850 for their fees. The rest of the fees are going to be the same for everyone, as they're either fixed or are down to the house price.

There often seems to be town-specific competition so it'd be worth trying some other areas nearby. Only possible disadvantage is that you may end up with the overall process taking a few days longer as documents are sent by DX or post rather than physically dropped in like happened for me - vendors solicitor, EA, bank and my solicitor were all within 500 metres of each other.

my situation is the same all within 500meters of each other as well.. just want to make sure important in and around the right ball park really...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

To me the professional fee seems a bit high, I got quotes of upto 950 plus vat. I eventually went with a cheaper one, for 700e plus vat.

I'd query the land registry fee though for a house of 73k isnt that a bit high?
    Think we only paid something like 650-690 on a value of 170k. (I'm open to be wrong here)
    All in, including stamp duty, ours only came out about 3500.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

yes my solicitor charges 700 plus var too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

it is as follows

misc outlays €55

search fees of €85.00

I would think that is quite reasonable.
    Dublin25 wrote: »
    To me the professional fee seems a bit high, I got quotes of upto 950 plus vat. I eventually went with a cheaper one, for 700e plus vat.

I'd query the land registry fee though for a house of 73k isnt that a bit high?
    Think we only paid something like 650-690 on a value of 170k. (I'm open to be wrong here)
    All in, including stamp duty, ours only came out about 3500.

If land reg fees or other outlays are lower than expected the client is always refunded the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Jeepers! Ive called two places in my town and one was 2000E and the other was 2200E for professional fees alone

Taking stamp duty, VAT, overlays, searches, land registry, etc - I'm looking at close to €7k!!!!

I think I'm going to have to look a bit further afield because im getting nothing close to what some are posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭The lips

Ring around, solicitors are not as busy as previously were.

I got quotes from 1450 to 700 plus vat.

I negotiated it down to 550 plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fifi33

I've been quoted 1200 plus VAT for professional fees..can anyone recommend a good solicitors who charge the prices quoted here? city centre or baggot street/harolds cross location ideally..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

The lips wrote: »
    Ring around, solicitors are not as busy as previously were.

I got quotes from 1450 to 700 plus vat.

I negotiated it down to 550 plus vat.

There comes a point when it is not economic to do work for a low fee. If it is being done I would wonder what corners are being cut. I would put a premium in relation to reputation with regard to instructing a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Hi all, I've been ringing around for a good quote for professional fees.

Some said they cannot quote without the final selling price and say it could be 1700-2400euro professional fees depending on if the house was 300-400k etc. I didn't realise it was calculated on sale price of the house. :(

That's "professional fees" and it does not include VAT or any of the outlays like land registry or stamp duty etc. Thats crazy. I was hoping I'd find someone charging a set fee of 800-1200 euro figure. Regardless of final sale price (bracket of 300-400k)

Please can someone PM me if they've found someone who will offer a set fee plus outlays plus vat. Thanks so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When they quote you say that's too high and ask for a better price. My mothers friends went through a lengthy divorce and was billed for €80,000. She phoned up her solicitor which is well known Dublin law firm and said its too high. Within 15 mins they called back and asked for €50,000 ok for her.

Some solicitors still think they can charge 2006 prices even though they have hardly any work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

100gSoma wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been ringing around for a good quote for professional fees.

Some said they cannot quote without the final selling price and say it could be 1700-2400euro professional fees depending on if the house was 300-400k etc. I didn't realise it was calculated on sale price of the house. :(

That's "professional fees" and it does not include VAT or any of the outlays like land registry or stamp duty etc. Thats crazy. I was hoping I'd find someone charging a set fee of 800-1200 euro figure. Regardless of final sale price (bracket of 300-400k)

Please can someone PM me if they've found someone who will offer a set fee plus outlays plus vat. Thanks so much

those would be an very very low figures and even a small form with low overheads would struggle to do it in that price range and cover their costs. For a good reputable firm you should expect to pay a few hundred more than the higher price you mentioned there in fees before VAT. Some firms may quote you cheaper but you need to ask yourself how and why they are operating at such a low cost.

Advertisement