Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida State Drivers Licence

Options
  • 24-06-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Over here in Florida.. trying to figure out how the hell i obtain a Florida drivers licence for the first time.. its so confusing.. there is literarily a thousand sites all teling me i need to do different things.

any help, appreciated!

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its because a drivers licence is the primary source of ID for illegal immigrants. For most people actually.

I dont know how it works in FL but be careful you dont get scammed.

The usual way in any US state is to go to the local DMV (Department of motor vehicles, it may have some different name in FL), they can tell you there all you need to know.

Even if its not called DMV in florida most people would understand that. You may have to prove residency to get a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its because a drivers licence is the primary source of ID for illegal immigrants. For most people actually.

I dont know how it works in FL but be careful you dont get scammed.

The usual way in any US state is to go to the local DMV (Department of motor vehicles, it may have some different name in FL), they can tell you there all you need to know.

Even if its not called DMV in florida most people would understand that. You may have to prove residency to get a licence.

Yep.. it's the DMV here in FLA - ok, it's just that i have heard that you cant really do much at the DMV without a pre-arranged appointment.. and they expect you to do most of the stuff online.. only problem is, i cant seem to find a specific section for " New drivers licence for over 21's " ... there are sections for teen drivers, but obviously that doesn't apply to me.

Suppose i might just walk in to the local DMV here, and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yep.. it's the DMV here in FLA - ok, it's just that i have heard that you cant really do much at the DMV without a pre-arranged appointment.. and they expect you to do most of the stuff online.. only problem is, i cant seem to find a specific section for " New drivers licence for over 21's " ... there are sections for teen drivers, but obviously that doesn't apply to me.

Suppose i might just walk in to the local DMV here, and see how it goes.

LOL!! Its because all americans get their licence at 16 and so they cant even imagine anyone applying for a licence over the age of 21. Funny.

I'm sure you'd be fine to just wander in. Or make an appointment? Sometimes the lines in those places can be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd be fine to just wander in. Or make an appointment? Sometimes the lines in those places can be horrendous.

And we all know why....

patty-selma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, this is the official website that will give you the info you need for driving in Florida. It's not called the DMV, its called the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. They are responsible for issuing drivers licenses too.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/

If you can make an appointment, that's great. When I moved to America, I had to queue for a year and half just to ask what other queue I needed to be in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I don't know how it works in FL but this is the process I followed to get my permit in CA.

1. Go to the DMV, wave goodbye to your loved ones for a year or so :)
    2. Ensure you have your passport with visa in it, i-94 (either stapled in your PP or printed out depending on what happened when you entered
    3. Take a number and wait, and wait, and wait
    4. Go to the desk, do your eye test
    5. Go and do the theory test
    6. After passing theory test get your photo done
    7. Go back to another desk to get your learners permit
    8. Make an appointment there and then for your test
    9. Wait a couple of weeks for appointment
    10. Sit the test

I only learned here in the states, my wife had a spanish full license and had to resit her test.

It's not that simple anymore. Since the Patriot Act came in in 2010, a lot of things are harder to do and require more red tape and paperwork. Getting a drivers license is one of them. The OP will also need to bring, their social security cards, proof of date of birth, 2 forms of ID, and two forms that prove his US residence. He also has to do some sort of drug and alcohol awareness class thingy.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/firstlicense.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not that simple anymore. Since the Patriot Act came in in 2010, a lot of things are harder to do and require more red tape and paperwork. Getting a drivers license is one of them. The OP will also need to bring, their social security cards, proof of date of birth, 2 forms of ID, and two forms that prove his US residence. He also has to do some sort of drug and alcohol awareness class thingy.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/firstlicense.html

Oh good point about SS card...forgot about that part

Bear in mind the above was in CA in January, and that was certainly all we had to do

Some states are slower to enact the Patriot Act changes than others. Looks like Florida is one of the states that has started being stricter about what you need to bring/do to get your license than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I got my Florida licence in 2011.Went to DMV they gave me a free theory book. Went back home studied and made an appointment date for theory online and paid the fee.

Went in with all my documents, eye test then theory on computer. Went back up and they asked me if I had my practical booked and I hadn't .No problem we can do it now if you want. Did the practical which was really easy and hardly went out of the DMV. Passed, all documentation is sent to Tallahassee and they give you a paper permit until your proper one will arrive in about two weeks.

Expect to show Visa/Passport,2 forms of Florida residency, SSN, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Thanks for the response guys - appreciate it.

I have all of the above mentioned things ( passport, visa, SSN card ) - but, how do i prove florida residency.. proof of address, i assume?

- but, how do i prove florida residency.. proof of address, i assume?

If you click on the link in post #8 above, it will take you to the official Florida government website page that tells you what documents you will need to prove your legal residency in Florida.

Advertisement