Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Adverts

• 24-06-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I called Vodafone earlier about getting Fibre,
    Advertised on their website they state up to 70MB, Unlimited Downloads, No Congestion.

So all excited I was until the Sales guy advised my line can only handle 40MB and there is a 300GB DL cap after that you pay per GB and that the speed will vary depending on how many others will be DL at the same time etc. he said they can guarantee I will at least get 28MB DL but will bet between 28-40MB max.

So it turns out nothing like what is advertised at all!

I thought with Fibre that the speed would be as promised and that there would not be any contention ratio or congestion. Unlike the old copper cables?

I know UPC offer 50, 100 & 150MB and you get exactly that as my buddy has UPC in the next estate but in my estate they only put the UPC lines in the first phase of housing not the remainder.

Also is the Eircom's eFibre and Vodafone Fibre all the same? I was on to Eircom and they told me it's different in that they offer Fibre from Cabnet?

It all sounds great to have Fibre it's the real buzz at the moment but I doubt anyone are getting the speeds they promise?

All helpful advise welcome, I'm with Digiweb at the moment Wireless service and getting very close to the 30MB they supply me with thing is there is a 100GB DL cap which is poor when you have 2 Adults, 3 kids using the net and DL etc over a month.

My preferred option would be to have UPC installed but I don't think they are going to lay the cables in my estate anytime soon I'm here 11 years and have rang them countless of times to see if or when it will be available, I suppose I should really try get on to someone who can help with that in UPC if they exist. Eircom, Vodafone who would you advise to go with or should I wait and see what Sky offer??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Told me I could get about 43MB but when connected I can get close to the 70MB, and its unlimited bandwidth with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi edmac33,
    I am hoping to get connected tomorrow myself with Vodafone fibre, and i have also been assured through talking with reps on the phone and on the Vodafone forum that there is no enforcement of the 300GB limit, and i hope they keep their word as if they break the contract given to me i will be cancelling and heading to Eircom, below is a link to the forum section and posts i am referring to.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056951902

as you can see the rep`s name is Darren, i have also kept the names of contacts i spoke to on the phone and have everything written down in regards to assurances that the cap is not limited.

apophis :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

edmac33 wrote: »

I thought with Fibre that the speed would be as promised and that there would not be any contention ratio or congestion. Unlike the old copper cables?

It's not fibre, it's VDSL on copper cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

edmac33 wrote: »
    I called Vodafone earlier about getting Fibre,
    Advertised on their website they state up to 70MB, Unlimited Downloads, No Congestion.

So all excited I was until the Sales guy advised my line can only handle 40MB and there is a 300GB DL cap after that you pay per GB and that the speed will vary depending on how many others will be DL at the same time etc. he said they can guarantee I will at least get 28MB DL but will bet between 28-40MB max.

So it turns out nothing like what is advertised at all!

It is as they advertised. "up to 70MB" (means that you get a value lower than 70Mb/s; a value that your line can handle).

If you go to their website (http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/home/), you will see two stars beside "Unlimited Usage Allowance" and then at the bottom of the page it says "**Subject to fair usage of 300GB". That is pretty misleading and I'd rather they would remove that and as apophis said below the reps promised it won't be enforced.

There is no contention ratio. They were talking about your household usage. You won't get that download speed by youself if some body is watching a HD movie online upstairs. :)

I know UPC offer 50, 100 & 150MB and you get exactly that as my buddy has UPC in the next estate but in my estate they only put the UPC lines in the first phase of housing not the remainder.

Not all UPC customers have been getting "exactly that" due to faults in the lines/equipment. I know of an area down here in Greystones where the customers have had to call the UPC engineers out on regular occasions. Just look around the broadband forum and on the UPC Talk To forum.

Also is the Eircom's eFibre and Vodafone Fibre all the same? I was on to Eircom and they told me it's different in that they offer Fibre from Cabnet?

This is the technology. Nobody in Ireland offers Fibre To The Home (FTTH). Eircom offers FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) and their technology is currently used by Magnet, Digiweb and Vodafone.

Here is a little guide about FTTC and here it the Fibre Mapping thread, where we locate any FTTC and add it to a crowdsource map on Google. Add any that you see near you, unless added already.

It all sounds great to have Fibre it's the real buzz at the moment but I doubt anyone are getting the speeds they promise?

All helpful advise welcome, I'm with Digiweb at the moment Wireless service and getting very close to the 30MB they supply me with thing is there is a 100GB DL cap which is poor when you have 2 Adults, 3 kids using the net and DL etc over a month.

Digiweb are 79.95 for 70/20 Fibre and Unlimited (which I think says Fair Usage). So that sucks!

My preferred option would be to have UPC installed but I don't think they are going to lay the cables in my estate anytime soon I'm here 11 years and have rang them countless of times to see if or when it will be available, I suppose I should really try get on to someone who can help with that in UPC if they exist. Eircom, Vodafone who would you advise to go with or should I wait and see what Sky offer??
    Sky customers are not enjoying the Sky broadband at the moment. You can see in many threads on here. I think the only options are Eircom or Vodafone. Compare those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi guys. just came on to give an update, as i had suspected no installer showed up today, more misleading info from vodafone AGAIN, i had signed up for a 2 year contract but that will be changing as of tomorrow, i will be ringing to reduce that to one year, i could not take a chance on having to suffer all this hassle if i ever needed help or accurate info on my account, and being let down for 2 years.

Having been told constantly that i would be kept updated regularly, on not one occasion has vodafone contacted me, i am always the one chasing the information on where i stand, really fed up of it at this stage.

apophis :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 edmac33

Well I got my Fibre installed happy so far getting 40MB.

Advertisement