Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Sat night

• 24-06-2013 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

Quick question. Limerick play Dundalk Sat night and we have a bus of approx 25 staying the Sat night.

Where is best place to go, Is Limerick like Dundalk and do drink promotions like €3 a drink in nightclubs etc... or will it be like a normal night out in somewere like Dublin?

Comments

Have a look at this thread. It will give you a rough idea whats around. Just bear in mind that these are reviews from locals who have been frequenting these places for years.

I doubt you'll get many €3* type drink promotions like in Dundalk but Limerick prices are not like Dublin prices. You will have a few offers here and there in Smyths and The Orchard on buckets of bottles (5 for €15) and 'The Bullround' (4 Vodka and Redbull for €20). I'm sure there will be a few more offers. What age group are we talking about here by the way? Will ye be doing a pup crawl and hitting a club or would ye be looking for a late bar?

Either way you won't be disappointed with the night.

*I miss Nestors :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It will only be a good night if Dundalk get the 3 points :)

The age range is 22 right up to mid 30's.

Cheers for that info, Think we are going to Peter Closseys (bad spelling) pub during the day before the game, we prob arrive about 4 or 5 and then we will hit Limerick properly after the game.

Whats closing time like? Many late bars past 2.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Only good thing about Clohessys is that its a late bar so you dont have to go lumping out for the club downstairs, if you want cheap booze then Clem Smiths is the place you want. (E2.50 pints of Tennents, E3 for the Becks Vier) its a swift 10min walk from Clohessys out the Dock Road (next to Dolans Warehouse)

Clems is home to a local CSC but doubt most of those lads will be there Sat, Limerick fans will be scattered aorund town before and after, a lot tend to stay in the ground til closing or head into the Still House on Thomas St. (normal prices)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Think we are going to Peter Closseys (bad spelling) pub during the day before the game, we prob arrive about 4 or 5 and then we will hit Limerick properly after the game.

The club and supporters would probably prefer if you drank in pubs that support the club. I know any of our supporters who had a pint did so in the club bar in Oriel Park when we were up there.

The Still House on Thomas St is an obvious one (they have a sign in the ground) and its a nice place too.
    The Strand Hotel is another longtime supporter of the club. Although it might be a bit too fancy for yous, it would be on the route from town to Thomond Park.

I don't think they are a supporter of the club at the moment, but if you want a drink by the river then I would try The Curragower. At the moment there is a construction site between Clohessy's and the river, which rather spoils the view. The view at the Curragower is much nicer anyway, especially at low tide when you can see the rapids/"falls". The Curragower could also easily be taken in to your route either too or from Thomond Park.

I can't think of any other pubs who are on board with the club at the moment, but I'm sure if you or one of your mates asked on the club's facebook page that you'd get a reply with more suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Curragower might be too small for a group of you, but is a smashing pub for pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

seachto7 wrote: »
    Curragower might be too small for a group of you, but is a smashing pub for pints.

It's a long time since I was in it myself, but is there not an outside drinking area there? Obviously that would be weather dependent anyway, and I haven't looked at the forecast for saturday. But there would probably be more space there 6:30-7:00 than after 10:00, so it would be better to go there before the match rather than after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

It will only be a good night if Dundalk get the 3 points :)

The age range is 22 right up to mid 30's.

Cheers for that info, Think we are going to Peter Closseys (bad spelling) pub during the day before the game, we prob arrive about 4 or 5 and then we will hit Limerick properly after the game.

Whats closing time like? Many late bars past 2.30am?

I have definetely been served in Costellos after 3 if the night is a good night for them, you can buy cans of beer/bottle of wine to head back to the hotel with as well. (or so I have been told)

Kinda depends on what night club you want though, Costellos is a more rock/indie type but you will get no trouble and everyone is pretty sound.

Icon has the worst staff and you can get a bad experience but there will be a good group of ye and most of the girls would be hitting the bad decision juice pretty hard.

The rest are kinda an older more mature crowd, but I would recommend heading to costellos about half 1 to get there before they close the doors and to get a few cans for the hotel after town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

mickey martins great spot good pints or the old quather if ye fancy cocktails and a good live band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Only problem with getting served late in Costelloes is that you could get served at 3 and be expected to drink it up in 5 mins!!

We vsisited a few pubs around the centre and went out to Fitzgeralds before the game for a wee drink :)

Back into town where we drank in Stars I think it was then the nightclub beside it.

Back to the hotel for more beer in the residents bar

Great day, apart from the result

Quick question are prostitutes common in Limerick, The Street where our hotel was full of them around the corner

• Advertisement

We vsisited a few pubs around the centre and went out to Fitzgeralds before the game for a wee drink :)

Back into town where we drank in Stars I think it was then the nightclub beside it.

Back to the hotel for more beer in the residents bar

Great day, apart from the result

Quick question are prostitutes common in Limerick, The Street where our hotel was full of them around the corner

Fitzgeralds? No idea where that is.

I'd say ye drank in Smyths, not Stars :) The icon night club is part of it. Did ye stay in Pery hotel? That area (Catherine Street mainly) is full of 'ladies of the night' these days! :p

Glad ye enjoyed the night!

shaaane wrote: »
    Fitzgeralds? No idea where that is.

I'd say ye drank in Smyths, not Stars :) The icon night club is part of it. Did ye stay in Pery hotel? That area (Catherine Street mainly) is full of 'ladies of the night' these days! :p

Glad ye enjoyed the night!

Yeh your correct it was Smyths then the Icon (€12 into it, robbery I thought)

Yeh stayed in the Perry hotel, nice spot. Very handy

Will be back for a weekend again im sure

Yeh your correct it was Smyths then the Icon (€12 into it, robbery I thought)

Yeh stayed in the Perry hotel, nice spot. Very handy

Will be back for a weekend again im sure

Yup. And pints at a fiver a pop is scandalous. Unfortunately you're not spoiled for choice in Limerick anymore so most people tend to end up there.

The Pery is very handy and well priced. Stayed there last year (I'm originally from the city but live 30 miles outside it now). Another hotel, The Pier, is well priced and better located. The city is at your door step so no need for taxis and it has a residents bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

They are Ban Gardai, don't go near them :D you'll end up in the papers.
    Seriously, I noticed this myself Friday evening on Catherine street. So Operation Freewheel was a success :rolleyes:

Advertisement