Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bichon extremely aggressive on lead

• 24-06-2013 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

My Bichon Frise is almost 3, she's neutered and the past few months has become so aggressive on the lead towards other dogs. She has always been ok on the lead and was only really bothered by some dogs when out walking but recently it has become unbearable to walk her and also the most aggressive I have ever seen her!!
    She lunges, barks, shows her teeth and although she is small she is strong!! Dogs have had to cross the road to avoid her!! I am so upset by this as she is a great dog in the house! She was fine off the lead until recently to my surprise she got tunnel vision, ran the entire way across a park and went for another dog that was on a lead!! The owner kicked her and I tried to call her back but with no luck, the minute she sees you walking away she does follow.
    I have tried so hard to be patient with her and train her as my dad trains gun dogs but she doesn't listen.
    I have booked her into obedience training but ppl have told me it may not make a difference, I am exasperated......any advice?.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Has there been any change in her environment like change of food, moved house, another dog passed away? It would certainly be worth your while bringing her for a quick checkup at the vets. They might do a blood test. If its not psychical it then consult with a dog behaviourist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To be honest, it kinda sounds like this problem has been growing legs over time, it's not just an out of the blue thing. This little dog has always demonstrated a degree of discomfort around other dogs, and unless that is addressed, it often becomes more "full blown", just like it has in this case.
    Classes probably aren't the best option for now OP, because she needs to be gradually exposed to other dogs in a systematic and controlled way for a while... this is very hard to achieve in classes, plus you have the problem of "flooding", where she will just be overcome having to be so close to other dogs in an enclosed area.
    I'd imagine that a one-to-one session with a qualified behaviourist would be the best first step to take, you'd be surprised at how much you can achieve quite quickly when you're getting targeted, personalised advice on your own home turf. In time, classes may become an option for you.
    But, as I always have to say at this point, you have to be ultra-cautious who you choose to help you, because the world of dog behaviour therapy is unregulated, and consequently there are wayyyy too many self-titled, utter cowboys out there who'll do more harm than good.
    If you let us know where you are, perhaps we can recommend someone suitable who can help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

Thanks for the info. I'm in the Limerick area. We did move from Dublin last year which I suppose was a big move as she stayed with my mother for a few weeks while we were moving.
    I'm really at my wits end as I love my dog to bits and she is Always with me, but this behaviour really is making me dislike her a little!!
    I have been onto a group obedience training class, but maybe if I found a behaviorist this would be a better option.
    Maybe a vet visit wouldn't go astray either although I do bring her for regular check ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was advised by a friend to try a group class for my boy, who is also very dog aggressive. In hindsight, I should have known better. I showed up, Shadow did everything like he was supposed to, never lunged, growled, snarled or even looked around actually. I was dumbfounded.

Then he peed himself, in a sit position. I apologised and promptly left, now knowing that he attacks from stark raving fear of being attacked first, and such a large group of what terrifies him pretty much scared him to death! :(

Definitely look into a behaviourist though, they can deal with the root of the problem on a personal level and build up to larger encounters if possible.

I've decided not to address Shadow's problem further as recommended by a behaviourist. He's 8 now and it's easier and less stressful for us all just to avoid other dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kc83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I'm in the Limerick area.

There are a couple of counties in Ireland which stand out because they have more than their fair share of seriously dodgy "behaviourists" and "trainers", or at least, have at least one establishment that makes huge claims, but does all the work on your dog behind closed doors.. for a reason. One of these counties is Limerick! So you need to tread carefully.
    However, with the bad has to come the good too, and the lovely Bev Truss is the only qualified behaviourist I know who covers the Limerick area at the moment. She is very experienced in problems exactly like yours, so give her a shout!
    http://petproblems.weebly.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Was just going to ask if it would be okay for me to recommend Bev on thread! :)

Echoing what DBB has said, please don't take on the services of anyone else in Limerick. They have neither the qualifications, nor the experience and will probably do more harm than good. Bev is great!

Advertisement