Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling alone :/

Options
  • 24-06-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 Amandab

OK,
    So Im going to Lanzarote next monday 1st of july for 12 days. I was supposed to be going with my friend but she has backed out :( I dont want to lose all the money so I have decided to go alone. Im a little nervous about it. What will I do etc
    Has anyone done this before that could give me advice and/or is there anyone who will be over there the same time as me that would like to meet up and keep me company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Really scared and nervous bout not knowing anyone :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zircona1975

Hi Amandab

Travelled to Lanzarote many times by myself. I even hooked up with a surf school by myself and had the best holiday ever. Truthfully its only at night I found it a little quiet but you'll always get chatting to people during the day. I've never been hassled by myself or felt unsafe. If there is something you are interested in sports go and join a group you wont regret it. You might even get an invite to meet up in the evenings. The hotel/ apartment pool is the best place to getting chatting to people the beach is usually a place people dont interact. Relax and enjoy the place, there is a very laid back atmophere. i was very nervous the first time I went alone but its one of the few places Id have no problem taking a week out and heading to by myself now. In fact Ive noticed a lot of women by themselves on the beach so I think there a re plenty who share the feeling. You'll be glad you went

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amandab

Zircona,

Thank you so much for that. I feel a little better now. Im trying to look up things to do before i go. What did you at night time? Did you go to dinner alone?

Yeah I ate out most nights but I usually ate a bit earlier when I was there by myself, I just felt felt a bit more comfortable when the places werent that crowded round 7 or 730 but never had any issues with eating out. the shops are all open till 1000 at night so I usually pottered around them or went for a walk. the days I was surfing i was too tired to anything except sleep. Ill give you the name of a few restaurants, just popping out for a walk. Are you staying in Puerto del carmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amandab

Ok thats grand. Yeah im staying in peurto del carmen. Hopefully ill meet some people over there and im not alone the whole time lol :)

La Casa del parmigiano for Italian, its near the Fariones end just between the old and new town. I ate there often by myself and they have the best coffee. Lanis Grill for Steaks, Bollywood for Indian and Reilly's bar for breakfast. If I can one recommend one thing to try its the ice cream in La Fabbrica del Gelato. Seriously its on the main strip and if you are at all a fan of ice cream, treat yourself and just sit on the beach wall and indulge.

I never stayed out too late at night by myself, like everywhere you can get a few unsavory types but as long as you stick to the main areas you'll be fine. There are a few places that sell excursions as well. lastminute seem to one of the better ones and you do get to meet people on these. Im heading back again in september cant wait. Let me know if you need any info and Ill do my best to fill you in but dont worry about safety, they take crime seriously over there on account of their tourist industry being so vital to the economy so you dont really hear or encounter too much of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Hey Amandab am over here at the moment with my wife, first time. There are tons of Irish pubs in PDC, and the restaurants are lively and friendly. There is so many Irish here you will probably meet someone you know or strike up a conversation around the pool etc. Lots of Irish involved in the pubs etc.

A good Irish pub is Craic and Ceol with live music if you like that kind of thing.

One thing that is a must is to rent a car. Its very cheap around €70 for three days (we rented Tuesday to Thursday) with full insurance no excess. You can drive the Island and go to some of the main attractions:

1. The Volcanoes (have dinner cooked on the volcano heat).
    2. The Caves.
    3. Camel rides.
    4. Playa Blanca - the Port to Feurtaventura and a lovely promenade by the sea.
    5. Arricefe - the capital and a 17 story hotel (most buildings are 2 story or less). You can grab a snack and look over the Island.
    6. Papagyo - great beaches and some are naturist. You have to drive down a really bad road to get there but it is worth it!

If you want a really nice dinner in PDC go to Quintins near the Biosfera shopping center

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jimosterberg

I've done a good bit of travelling on my own in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. I loved it. I'd often be asked to join people for dinner and met plenty of sound people during the day and at night.

• I've never done it yet myself, but I wouldn't mind travelling by myself, at all.

Small piece of advice.. When you're there meeting people, just say you wanted to go on the holiday alone. Don't bother telling people about your friend backing out cause if you're there by yourself, ya may as well reap the benefit of appearing confident.

Advertisement