Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of Microchipping your pet

• 24-06-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

I felt compelled to start this thread as I've had an interesting few days trying to find the owners of a beautiful dog I found out wandering last Thursday evening.

Anyone who knows me, knows Im a "sucker for strays" i.e picking up dogs i find wandering by themselves. I've done this pretty much since i was a kid and everytime i do it, i get a mixed bag of opinions (good and bad) from people, even animal loving people asking me why i do it.

By Law, it is illegal to let your dog roam unaccompanied in a public place. I hear people say (and tell me), "sure she knows where she lives/he was only out for a stroll/the feckers always getting out but knows his way home" etc etc.

What people don't realise is, it is ILLEGAL and if your dog is picked up by a dog warden they will be impounded. In a pound you have 5 (only 5) days to reclaim your dog before, legally, it can be euthanased. Yep....killed/put down/put to sleep whatever you want to call it. 5 days!!!!! :eek: This is completely legal and tens upon thousands of dogs meet their fate this way every year in Ireland. Several people have been shocked when i have told them this in the last few days.

The dog i picked up, the sweetest, most gentlest soul had a collar but no tag or microchip. She was scanned twice by 2 different vets just to make sure. If she had been chipped she would have been home and safe in less than 24hrs. Because she wasn't i was left posting on random websites,ringing the local pounds, vets, putting up posters and literally asking randomers in the local park if they knew this dog. Exhausting and could easily have been avoided.

She went home today (to delighted owners) who I hope have learned their lesson. This beautiful dog's story could've ended up so much worse. :(

Microchipping is CHEAP (even free with a well know Dublin charity at the moment), PAINLESS and INVALUABLE.PM me if you want to know more.

You may say "oh it'll never happen my dog". It took a little kid 2 seconds to open the front door and the dog was gone. Please do it!

And because I'm a bad Mod and completely self absorbed!! I should have been paying attention to this thread also about Microchipping!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I totally agree. I have our 3 cats microchipped and it gives great peace of mind. Collars are very easily lost or removed and people seem very happy to spend a lot of money on expensive collars or accessories yet won't pay the 20 quid or so for the microchip.

I know the compulsory microchipping for dogs is coming in but one thing that concerns me is that a lot of people might not register the chip, deliberatley. We all know that there is a huge proportion of dog owners who choose to let their dogs roam because they just can't be bothered to walk them and I'd guess if the dog is picked up they'll always say it 'escaped' and 'it's the first time'.

The ones who let the dogs roam are generally the ones who won't put a collar on the dog or if they do then they won't put an id tag on. Realistically I think it's because they don't want to be contactable if the dog causes damage, so I'd say there will be a huge increase in unregistered chips unless the details are registered by the vet when the chip is implanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

We all know that there is a huge proportion of dog owners who choose to let their dogs roam because they just can't be bothered to walk them and I'd guess if the dog is picked up they'll always say it 'escaped' and 'it's the first time'.

I agree, but it actually amazed me, seriously amazed me over the last few days the conversations I've had with people (and friends) who i'd generally class as "responsible" about this who 1. didn't get the point of chipping 2. thought it was expensive 3. thought a tag was enough 4. said their pet never gets out by themselves 5. didn't know the law regarding pound dogs....the list is endless.

It's actually been exasperating.:o:o

These are so called RESPONSIBLE pet owners, nevermind the ones who are always dodgy and irresponsible. This is why i'm shocked and have started this thread. People who i thought "should have known better"...really don't.
    wrote:
    I'd say there will be a huge increase in unregistered chips unless the details are registered by the vet when the chip is implanted.

If there's a huge increase...brilliant. There was a queue at 4pm in Blanchardstown last sat for a free chipping event and i was delighted to see it.

My main goal is just to tell people, who genuinely do LOVE their pets...a tag is not enough. Be aware of the consequences...and save hardworkin peeps like myself days upon days of effort to bring your "wandering/lost" pet home!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup. Microchipping is key. As is a dog tag with owner's details which is the law. But it is a matter of education. It's all very well chipping the dog, but how many people realise or can actually be bothered to register the details? There was a recent thread about this, with some posters saying the vet should be the one to do it!! WHY???

Just how difficult is it to register the dog's details? Takes two minutes and is quick and easy. Not exactly rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just picked up my puppy last week and the breeder had already chipped and registered the puppy. Just have to change the details online. Any breeder with their salt would do the same thing.

Yup. Microchipping is key. As is a dog tag with owner's details which is the law. But it is a matter of education. It's all very well chipping the dog, but how many people realise or can actually be bothered to register the details? There was a recent thread about this, with some posters saying the vet should be the one to do it!! WHY???

Just how difficult is it to register the dog's details? Takes two minutes and is quick and easy. Not exactly rocket science.
    Yeah, I started that thread. We could argue forever about who should register the microchip. Essentially what will happen when compulsory dog microchipping is introduced is that people will avoid it. Realistically the people who let their dogs roam are probably unlikely to bother with vaccinations so the odds of their dogs seeing a vet are low, except of course in an emergency. Of course not every vet is going to ask an owner if the dog is microchipped.

The point is that there is very little change if an owner is allowed to choose not to register the dogs details. There is of course no point in microchipping any animal if the details aren't registered. To be honest I'm really not sure why you are so adamant that it shouldn't be the vet who registers the chip. As I said in my thread it's very little detail to be registered and most vets will have the owner details on file anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

To be honest I'm really not sure why you are so adamant that it shouldn't be the vet who registers the chip. As I said in my thread it's very little detail to be registered and most vets will have the owner details on file anyway.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the vet should register the animal either. The animal doesn't belong to them. They is not responsible for it. The OWNERS are!! To me, this is part and parcel of responsible ownership. Don't the vets have enough to do without mollycoddling owners too lazy to tap a few details on to a database. Why can't the owners take a little more responsibility?

To be honest, I'm not sure why the vet should register the animal either. The animal doesn't belong to them. They is not responsible for it. The OWNERS are!! To me, this is part and parcel of responsible ownership. Don't the vets have enough to do without mollycoddling owners too lazy to tap a few details on to a database. Why can't the owners take a little more responsibility?

I agree with you about owners needing to take responsibilty for their pets, but the reality is that whether through irresponsiblity,laziness,ignorance or stupidity etc, owners just aren't doing it. I don't think many vet practices are so overwhelmed with clients that they don't have time to register a few details. Of course in an ideal world everyone would be a responsible owner and do this themselves, sadly we don't live in that kind of world. I registered our cats details on the day each cat was microchipped.

I hassled my parents into microchipping their cats and I evangelise about microchipping to every pet owner I know. A lot of people that I would have considered responsible owners look at me as though I'm nuts for microchipping a pet. Yet these are the same people who pay silly money for a diamonte collar or diamonte water bowl for their pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

the reality is that whether through irresponsiblity,laziness,ignorance

ALL of the above tbh, and even in the so called "veterinary world" it's STILL a bit of taboo believe it or not.:o

I've LEARNED A LOT these past few days believe me.

So....for anyone who wants to know. This is what microchipping is about:

It involves inserting (painlessly) a microchip (the size of a grain of rice) like this:

pet-microchip-7.jpg

generally in the back of the neck as it's the area least accessed by pets.

It's quick AND painless and is read by a scanner like this:

1364473370_439929666_4-Microchips-Microchip-Readers-Protect-Your-Pets-Now--For-Sale.jpg

The small "chip" is inserted under the animals skin and contains all pertinent info relating to ownership of that animal.

The animal can't feel it and there is NO subsequent after affects. If your pet is lost or stolen, when/whereby their collar and tag is easily replaceable, the chip is not.

One scan of the neck of "my lost dog" last weekend, would've found her owners instantly.Rather than 4 days later...which is what it took :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I agree with you about owners needing to take responsibilty for their pets, but the reality is that whether through irresponsiblity,laziness,ignorance or stupidity etc, owners just aren't doing it. I don't think many vet practices are so overwhelmed with clients that they don't have time to register a few details. Of course in an ideal world everyone would be a responsible owner and do this themselves, sadly we don't live in that kind of world. I registered our cats details on the day each cat was microchipped.

I hassled my parents into microchipping their cats and I evangelise about microchipping to every pet owner I know. A lot of people that I would have considered responsible owners look at me as though I'm nuts for microchipping a pet. Yet these are the same people who pay silly money for a diamonte collar or diamonte water bowl for their pets.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to have the clients register the chip at the reception in the vets as they're paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Just as a heads up, the DSPCA are going to be doing free microchipping at Pet Discount Store in Sligo this Saturday. I think you have to book a time with them, rather than just turn up, but the info is on the DSPCA FB page.

Link to the booking site for this http://www.amiando.com/microchipping.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I get so frustrated with this, as I'm also one who has picked up quite a few strays.
    Some have been chipped, and registered, so have gotten home without too much fuss. However, one was chipped but the vet didn't find the chip (good reason to have the dog scanned twice). Luckily, the owners put an ad up online just as I was about to.
    Of all the dogs I have found over the years (and there have been many), only two had tags. Mine each have two tags, one with our numbers, and another to say they are chipped. For some reason, I tend to find dogs on weekends or bank holidays when vets are closed. If they had tags I would be able to get them home much quicker. It is also law that they have a tag with ID, whether they are microchipped or not. True, tags can fall off or be taken off, but they are a good first line of contact. If the tag is lost, then the microchip can come into play. It's so simple and cheap to follow both of these precautions which, together, make reuniting a dog and owner much easier. Unfortunately, I have come across many who just don't seem bothered and look at me like I have too heads when I manage to track them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

The cost really needs to be addressed though, wish I lived within reach of the dspca. Microchipping my lot would cost 240, I've no choice but to prioritise food and emergency treatment. All strays, and the only one who is micro chipped needs another as it has migrated. For it to become widespread the cost has got to come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My cat was an indoor cat that couldn't get out (high apartment with closed off balcony), now we have moved to a ground floor and let him out, he is getting his booster vaccines this week and we are adding the micro-chip too for a few extra Euro. Anniehoo is right, a few euro could save their lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Our dog is our first ever dog, and we got him chipped last year as a pup, the vets (in Clonmel) are great, and volunteered to do all the registering, so I was just handed the little slips with the barcodes and all, and told to double check, simples. :D It cost just 40 euros, but it's such a relief to know he is chipped.
    It was niggling at me, so shortly after I brought in the cat, 8 at the time now 9 years old, to be chipped too, and for the money I'm glad I did, although we're out in the middle of nowhere, and if anything happened to him, chances are he wouldn't be found.
    It's so easy, but I do understand the thinking "yeah I'll do it someday", and then you wait and it could be too late.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a GPS function along with the chip, so you'd be able to locate your pet, in case they went missing ? That would put a stop to all the dog knapping, and in the event of a road casualty, for example, then at least you could find your pet's body, better than not knowing what happened to them. :(

edit : can the chips migrate to somewhere where they can't be read ? I used to feel them on both, but now I'm not sure : they "filled in" a bit, and I find it a little gross, so I don't look for it really... should I check on a regular basis or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I bought three microchipping vouchers recently, through Living Social. They were €15 each and I couldn't resist the bargain. My crew are chipped already but I figured I'd find a use for them amongst my relatives and friends.

I offered the free microchipping to different people I know who ADORE their pets and whom we here would all class as responsible owners. There's a Pug, a Bengal and a wire-haired Jack Russell. Apart from anything else, all very desirable to thieves, and I made that point to the three owners. Not one out of the three of them followed up with me and brought in their pet to the clinic to be microchipped for free, even though I did gently remind them all, more than once.

So in the end, our little TNR group used the vouchers to microchip some of our foster kittens instead.

Isn't it just unreal. I paid €100 back in 2005 or so to have my two dogs microchipped. These people were being offered it for free and at a location convenient to them, and they still didn't bite.

can the chips migrate to somewhere where they can't be read ? I used to feel them on both, but now I'm not sure : they "filled in" a bit, and I find it a little gross, so I don't look for it really... should I check on a regular basis or something ?

Just have the vet do a quick check with the scanner whenever you have them in for a visit. :)

anniehoo wrote: »
    The small "chip" is inserted under the animals skin and contains all pertinent info relating to ownership of that animal.

The chip has a unique identity number, which is picked up by the scanner when the chip is read. That's the only info held in the chip. Unless this unique identity number is registered in a database along with the pet's details and owner's contact details, the chip itself is in itself useless.

It is very hard to make owners understand the importance of registering the chip with the database and keeping their contact information updated. FIDO are great because their website makes it so easy. Animark, less so. Whether your pet is to be registered with FIDO or Animark is down to which company the vet has elected to buy the chips from. But FIDO customers can have their pet's chip registered on the Animark database, and vice-versa, for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

edit : can the chips migrate to somewhere where they can't be read ? I used to feel them on both, but now I'm not sure : they "filled in" a bit, and I find it a little gross, so I don't look for it really... should I check on a regular basis or something ?

My dog was at the vet for something else, so I asked them to check his microchip. They came back and told me he didn't have one. I insisted he did and eventually they found it in his armpit. It still reads but the chances of a pound or rescue finding it there are virtually none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Might be another reason to get the tags redone on mine with "I'm chipped and neutered" as well as the other stuff, got new tags recently and forgot that like an idiot, would have been good with the times that are in it.

Advertisement